PDA

View Full Version : Molded plastic electric guitar nuts?

red
February 4th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I'm very interested in your opinions on molded plastic guitar nuts (like the ones on most Fenders, Epiphones and some Gibson electric guitars) - for example this one (http://www.wwbw.com/Gibson-Electric_guitar_plastic_nut_-i229525.music?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Gibson-_-Guitar%20Accessories_Guitar%20Parts_Electric-_-Electric%20guitar%20plastic%20nut%20&mr:trackingCode=4D9F5D00-EBD1-DC11-BE2A-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA).
To be more specific, I've got some guitars with plastic nuts (an Epiphone Les Paul Heritage, for example), and I'm a bit worried they might break. Nothing has happened with them so far, and I really don't mind that they're plastic. I figure, 1. there's nothing in the sound of an open string that I mind at all, 2. most of the time the nut doesn't come into the equation for most of the strings in one particular chord or note, since I'm working the fretboard anyway, so I wouldn't want to swap them for bone just because the hype says plastic sucks.
So, who's got plastic nuts :) on their Epiphone or Gibson Les Pauls? For how long have you had them? Have you had any trouble with them so far? Is there some test to determine the quality of a plastic nut?

Thanks!

Katastrophe
February 4th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Plastic nuts are awful.

My Fender Strat is the first electric I've owned that has a plastic nut. They are cheap, and take away from what otherwise is a fairly high quality instrument.

I do a lot of bending when I play, and it looks like it won't take long for the nut to need to be replaced. I haven't heard any significant sound issues, though. When I start having intonation or buzzing problems because my strings are sitting too deep in their slots, I'll change it, probably with bone.