PDA

View Full Version : Pod 2 or Pocket Pod

Mr Grumpy
February 4th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Thinking of getting another modeller. I like my Vox AD30 but spend a lot of time doing late night practice with phones and the headphone sound of the Vox is, well, disappointing. Nowhere near as 'alive' as the amped up sound (and it gets better the louder it goes, when I get a chance :rockon: ). Now Im tempted by the pocket pod but the user interface looks a bit fiddly and Im wary of all those presets which seem aimed at US teenagers. The pod 2 looks more like the tabletop amp im after. Cant stretch to an XT. Is it worth looking at the good old Pod 2 (with its latest upgrade and FBV compatibility) over the shiny new pocket pod.?

Tone2TheBone
February 4th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Do you mean the POD 2.0? If so yeah it's awesome get one. I don't even use the presets I go to the models and set them up manually like I'm playing an amp. The sound in the headphones is phenomenal and it records beautifully.

Spudman
February 4th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I know where you can get an XT Pod for about the same price as a 2.0. Otherwise, go with the 2.0.

SuperSwede
February 5th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Another good DI modeler is the Tonelab. I think you can get a used TL for not too much dollaritos. The Pod2 / XT sounds awesome as well.

The XT has one major advantage over its rivals, and that is the built in USB interface. Very handy if you plan to record on your computer........

piebaldpython
February 5th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Do either of these sound better with a tube amp or a digital amp??? Which amp do they sound better with or is it a toss-up??

SuperSwede
February 5th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Do either of these sound better with a tube amp or a digital amp??? Which amp do they sound better with or is it a toss-up??

None of them is meant to be used with real amps, but you can connect them to loop return / power amp in. That way you dont color the sound with the amps preamp.

Sblack
February 15th, 2008, 06:23 AM
The following is my opinion and by no means "the" answer to the debate:

If you are on a POD 2.0 budget, I would go the Pocket POD route. The pocket POD has all the POD 2.0 offers plus USB connectivity, super portability, and patch download/editing. The pocket POD is not too fiddly once you get the basics, which does not take very long. The tones I got out of my Pocket POD were very pleasing and equal to everything I have recorded through Tone Port.

To my ears, there does not seem to be a modeller out there that sounds optimal through a guitar amp. If you want to use a modeller live, they are designed to sound superb through a flat respose system like a keyboard amp or PA. At least that has been my experience. However, many guys can attest getting uber tone out of their modellers through a guitar amp; it just takes lots of tweaking, some settling, and sheer patience.

Which ever way you go, good luck and have fun tweaking your tone. :AOK:

Mr Grumpy
February 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all the help - Im looking at the pocket pod at the moment - although to make things even more confusing I rather like the idea of a Line 6 toneport (GX most likely) :messedup: .

Justaguyin_nc
February 15th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all the help - Im looking at the pocket pod at the moment - although to make things even more confusing I rather like the idea of a Line 6 toneport (GX most likely) :messedup: .

I really really really...like my toneport GX! :master:

it's pretty slick.. many of downloadable tones to boot..

I got mine running to my stereo along with computer an headphones..

once you get past the shock that it overtakes your sound card
you really get to enjoy it.

ofcourse.. you need it connected to a computer at all times.:whatever:

Which makes the pocket pod easier in moving around..

maybe a podxt would be better.. seeing the toneport has those sounds.

:confused:

jasongins
February 15th, 2008, 12:11 PM
If you practice in the same room as your computer and don't need to take the modeler other places or plug into an amp, then get a toneport GX. I have one and rarely turn my amp on anymore, especially since I have to wear headphones at night while my family is asleep. It is easy to dial in tones and recall saved tones, easy to record with, sounds great, and the Guitarport online lessons are interesting.

Mr Grumpy
February 16th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Jasongins - this is pretty much my line of thinking. My PC is in the corner of my living room where I do most of my playing, late at night when family is in bed. Im also hoping my work IT might let me install it on my work laptop so i can use it on my lunchtime jams at work (got some powered speakers ready!) so I dont have to keep lugging an amp in. Sadly I still have a CRT monitor so will have a hum problem but I'll probably be able to live with that (and play a bit further away). I am definitely leaning towards the GX at the moment!

I also seriously though about selling the AD30 and getting one of the Superchamp XD's in your sig. Seems a superb amp!

Jipes
February 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I fully agree With Tone 2 the Bone, I also have a POD 2.0 and I'm vey happy with it. It's very straightforward to get a great sound without searching too long and the noise level for recording is really acceptable ! I plug in and send the signal with stereo cable to my Pro Tools mBox interface Works great !

Mr Grumpy
February 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I got a toneport GX in the end. Didnt get on with the pocket pod controls and it felt all cheap and breakable. Plus the toneport was only £49. Not installed yet, day off work tomorrow so will play then..

jasongins
February 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Welcome to the Toneport club, Grumpy. I think you are going to enjoy your day off.