PDA

View Full Version : Another which would you get thread....

Danzego
February 5th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Ok, so a no doubt remember the last thread I posted like this, debating a Deluxe Players, Lonestar, and a MIM Standard. I got the Standard, took it back (the frets were all screwed up) and ordered a Lonestar, which I won't see until the next production lot is released from Fender in March.

Well, birthdays being the things they are, another dilemma has thus surfaced:

Another month wait for the Lonestar, and with credit I have towards that, along with gift cards and a few expendable dollars, I find myself only $175 short of a brand new American Standard Stratocaster. Mind you, that's before haggling is taken into the equation; I can probably get that down to the low $900's or thereabouts if I bring up (and milk) the fact that the Lonestar was supposed to come in within 10 days, not a month and a half (not their fault, but still....it's leverage).

So the question is, what would YOU do? Between the two, would you get an American Standard, or get the Lonestar and have most of the money towards a Fender Blues Jr. amp (which I also want). I've never had a US made guitar before, always wanted to get one, and it IS coming up on my 20th anniversary of playing. However, a nice guitar (w/ Texas Specials and a Pearly Gates humbucker) and a Blues Jr. ain't so shabby either. Hmmmm.......:confused:

markb
February 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM
If the MIM Lonestars are anything like the MIA ones from the mid 90s I'd wait to try one. They really were a step up from the US Standard of the time. In the originals the 'bucker was split on the 5-way so it didn't overpower the middle pickup. That one and the Roadhouse were really good sounding strats, as is my '94 Special Edition which I bought because it was the same as a Roadhouse for about £150 less (used).

mrmudcat
February 5th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Well more importantly than where it was made I think is the features for the most money:D After all Corona and Ensenada(I think this is right) are right next to each other.The mexican plant is state of the art trully and I feel the quality of fender is going the right direction.That said the redesigned bridge alone with copper/steel block,steel saddles,redesigned saddles, is worth getting the standard.The neck work frets finish will most likely be better on the standard.(Not sure about guys with big fingers) They have narrowed the string spacing!:whatever: On the mexi models(roadhouse lonestar) the pups are better than standard.I love the sienna sunburst maple neck standard.:dude: But I will be ordering one of the mexicans soon:rotflmao: So up to you but if you dont have a good amp then go for the mexi plus amp!! If your set in the amp dept. go for the standard!:master:

Robert
February 5th, 2008, 08:40 AM
From what you're telling me, my answer is the American Standard. I had a Lonestar once and I wasn't too fond of it. Plus, I can read between the lines you REALLY want the Am Standard anyway. So there you go.

warren0728
February 5th, 2008, 08:59 AM
i'd wait till the guitar came in and play it....if it feels good to you buy it and get the amp....if it doesn't then play some american standards and buy the one that feels right for you....did i mention play the guitar you are going to get before you buy it! :beer:

ww

oldguy
February 5th, 2008, 09:27 AM
:

So the question is, what would YOU do? Hmmmm.......:confused:

I would realize that by March I'd be dying of G.A.S. pains, go down there and pick out the best American Standard I could find, do a really close inspection and see if it's a fit for you, and, as you suggested, haggle my way to the best price possible. Take it home and enjoy.:poke: Don't drop it or bang it into stuff, or eat PB&J sammiches while you play it. Keep it mint, just play it.....:rockon: Then go back in March and look over the Lonestar when it comes in. If you think the Lonestar is the better guitar (which I doubt, but 'ya never know), trade back for it.

There........now you've got to play a Strat for a month, and can still get your Lonestar if absolutely necessary. :bravo:

sunvalleylaw
February 5th, 2008, 09:46 AM
i'd wait till the guitar came in and play it....if it feels good to you buy it and get the amp....if it doesn't then play some american standards and buy the one that feels right for you....did i mention play the guitar you are going to get before you buy it! :beer:

ww

Yeah, I agree. Do that. Some MIM's are just absolutely sweet! But when I started shopping, I was also looking at an American fat strat with the S1 feature. If you are that close, you might have to try both, but unless the American one blows you away, and the MIM is nice, I'd say go MIM and spend the extra as you suggest. But, be patient and try before you buy. You are spending enough to take time to be sure.

oldguy
February 5th, 2008, 09:51 AM
No way, dude! You need a Strat ASAP! Go ahead, get the 'merican you like best, go back in March and trade back if you want the Lonestar and the amph.:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Seriously, take your time and be sure, that's too much dough to spend if the guitar you get doesn't fit your hands/body/etc. comfortably.
I honestly do think the American is the "better" Strat, but because it's the one that fits me best....... and I play/own a MIM, ....... so there 'ya go....:thwap:

sunvalleylaw
February 5th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Well OK, that is a good plan too. Here is the one I was originally drooling over (in silver and black) before I went with my MIM.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Series-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-515116-i1167445.gc

Danzego
February 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM
From what you're telling me, my answer is the American Standard. I had a Lonestar once and I wasn't too fond of it. Plus, I can read between the lines you REALLY want the Am Standard anyway. So there you go.

:rotflmao:

Why is it, in the midst of my honest to goodness confusion here, that statement seems to feel so true? Wow...I didn't know that you also have your PhD in internet psychology, Robert. :bravo:

I can't stand it anymore. My GAS is just too great. I'm going to head out to Guitar Center after classes tonight to do some comparisons between the two (provided they still have the black Lonestar I'm not too keen on that they had there before). GAS being what it is, don't be surprised if I post tonight that I ended up buying a Standard. :thwap:

I'll try to stay as level headed as possible, though. *crosses fingers*

Danzego
February 6th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Well, I got back a couple of hours ago.

http://www.freewebs.com/littleelf/IMG%5F2580.JPG

.........I brought an American friend back with me. ;)

mrmudcat
February 6th, 2008, 03:36 AM
"I'll try to stay as level headed as possible, though. *crosses fingers*"

I bet your knees were shaking and you were sweating like the high school football team at a homecoming game!:D And that was before you played it:beer:

Nice ride fo-sho:master:

Robert
February 6th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Yes, I have that secret degree you were talking out, and I'm also psychic, so I knew you were going to buy it ! :beer:
Congrats. We know you will now have lots of fun, and school work will suffer.

Bloozcat
February 6th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Ok, I'm officially envious, Danzego....

That is a really beautiful guitar you got. If it sounds half as good as it looks, you'll probably have trouble putting it down....:bravo:

duhvoodooman
February 6th, 2008, 08:42 AM
:AOK: :dude: :rockon: :dude: :AOK:

oldguy
February 6th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I want one!:D
Gorgeous guitar, Danzego.:beer: Love that sunburst finish, too.:AOK:

How does it compare with the Lonestar in your opinion?

SuperSwede
February 6th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Awesome! Not a shabby birthday present at all (even if you had to cough up some money yourself too)

sunvalleylaw
February 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Sweet man!! Congrats!! Ok, now I can see a black PG and some mean SRV licks being developed in your vocabulary. What a great B-day!

warren0728
February 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM
that is a beauty!! :bravo: :beer: :AOK: :rockon:

ww

Adrian30
February 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM
That's a beaut, Danzego! You did great. Very very wise choice!

Danzego
February 6th, 2008, 12:57 PM
First of all, thanks to everyone for their advice over the past few weeks that I've been looking at Strats. You all helped a lot. :AOK:

I want one!:D
Gorgeous guitar, Danzego.:beer: Love that sunburst finish, too.:AOK:

How does it compare with the Lonestar in your opinion?

I couldn't compare it side by side with a Lonestar (two Texas Specials and a Pearly Gates humbucker, as most know) because they had no more in the store. But I do know that as soon as I plugged the American Standard into a Blues Jr., I was VERY happy with what I was hearing. Previously, when comparing the MIM Standard and the Lonestar, I was really diggin' the versatility of sounds I was getting from the MIM Standard, but I ultimately chose the Lonestar because of the clarity the MIM Standard lacked (the MIM pickups seemed dirty, but not in a good way). The Alnico V's in the American Standard had even better sounds and versatility along with great clarity. When toggling between pickup configs, I couldn't find a bad sound; it was just "ahhhhh....ohhhhh.....mmmmmm....." ;)

Oh, and I find that the American Standard bridge pickup actually sounds good on its own versus the weak bridge pups I've heard on other S/S/S models (which is a big reason I was looking at the Lonestar, with its bridge humbucker). I didn't find it shrill at all.

btw, Mudcat, you're right. It was one of those times where as soon as I got the guitar in my hands and into playing position- not even plugged into an amp yet- I noticed that it just felt RIGHT. I liked the way the Lonestar felt, but this one plays even better. :D

Danzego
February 6th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Sweet man!! Congrats!! Ok, now I can see a black PG and some mean SRV licks being developed in your vocabulary. What a great B-day!

The SRV licks, yes....I'll do my best. :master:

The black PG, though.....not so much, I don't think. While I was talking about doing that with the MIM Standard or the Lonestar, I don't so much mind what's going on with the Am. Standard. I think they went with a slightly aged look on the plastic (it's hard to see in the picture and, in fact, the guitar as a whole looks a lot better in person) and I'm kind of diggin' it. :AOK:

btw, I got it for $895. I didn't even have to try. I told the guy I like it, but it all comes down to price. He said "I'll see what I can do" and came back with that. Maybe I should have tried to get him to go even lower, but I was happy with that since I was ready to hard ball him down to $900 in the first place, so I was like "uhhhh.....ok!!". That dog!! He used surprise tactics on me!! :thwap:

TS808
February 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM
The American Standards are great guitars. I own a 2003 and a 2004 and haven't bought another strat since. The necks on the american standards just feel "right"...very comfortable, smooth, and the fretwork is very good. Take into consideration too that if you ever sell or trade an american standard, the resale value is going to be alot better. Plus, these guitars go up in value over time too.