PDA

View Full Version : Headed North

just strum
February 5th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hey Canadian Fretters, anyone near Georgetown, Ontario? I'm probably going to be headed up there either Thursday or early next week. I'm driving up, so I hope the weather cooperates. I don't want to be driving around the south, east and north shore line of Lake Erie when the lake effect kicks in, especially going through Erie PA and Buffalo NY.

just strum
February 9th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Well, I was in Georgetown Thursday and Friday. They had received 14" (35.5 CM). It wasn't too bad though, they really clean up the roads quickly, the only problem I had was the hotel parking lot, which had yet to be plowed.

I was driving on the QEW doing 85 to 90 MPH (136 to 145 KPH) and I had cars passing me as if I was standing still.

One of the things I like about Canada is the fact it looks so clean. I was in areas that had little or no snow and everything looks clean, no trash thrown on the streets. The other thing is everywhere you go you feel safe. I imagine that there has to be places where it might not be safe, but I've never made a visit there where I went into an area that was dirty or unsafe feeling.:AOK:

The other thing I noticed during this visit was the fact they were having a housing boom in and around the Georgetown area. I was told that people were buying houses in phase one of a new development and selling them for a profit when phase two and three were being built. New houses everywhere.

I found it tougher to get into Canada than it was to get back in the US. Picture ID, birth certificate or passport and a lengthy series of questions to get into Canada. To get back in the U.S., I think a note from your mother will suffice.

ted s
February 9th, 2008, 03:30 PM
There's good and bad here too Strum.
I find driving on your interstates much more sane than our highways ie; drive on the right, pass on the left, we have a lot of idjits on our roads.
I warned'em you were heading our way, sounds like you didn't receive your complimentary prostate exam at the border crossing.

just strum
February 9th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I warned'em you were heading our way, sounds like you didn't receive your complimentary prostate exam at the border crossing.

Ted,

I wore my underwear with the Canadian flag and figured I'd belt out the Canadian National Anthem during the exam.:canada:

I did notice you have some serious fines up there for a variety of traffic violations. As fast as everyone goes I would think they would pass out enough tickets that the funds would allow you guys to be tax free.

It doesn't seem like anyone litters up there. Down here you can drive behind someone and they will dump a weeks worth of garbage out of their car.