PDA

View Full Version : Ian Tyson

sunvalleylaw
February 5th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Maybe of interest to you Canadians, and maybe to the acoustic set, my wife and I went and saw Ian Tyson last night. I had received tickets from a local guitar performer (Bruce Innes, another Canadian, who wrote "One Tin Soldier" featured in the movie "Billy Jack") who opened for him. Ian is an Alberta singer/songwriter that is pretty much cowboy folk music based. He wrote "Four Strong Winds" which has been covered repeatedly by Neil Young. What a great song writer and story teller! He put on a show with himself, another acoustic guitarist and another guy with an electric bass. I could not find a clip that really sounded like last night. This one is too twangy country, but if you listen closely, you hear some of the kind of guitar licks that were being played. He is 75, and his voice has more gravel in it than this, but he was on pitch, had good timing, and their harmony was excellent. It felt a little like I was watching a folk/acoustic Les Paul. It was a nice night. (I also think we were the youngest ones in the audience! :-))

k-GMU2IBuno

He did this song, but he did in a more quiet intimate way.

YGGXX0o3Bu4

Robert
February 5th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Very cool! Thanks for posting this, Steve.

You know, I take part every year in a fantastic running relay in the Rockies, and the start of this race is in Longview, the home for the legendary Ian Tyson. I have not seen him, but I should sure try to catch him while I can. He's not getting any younger.

Tone2TheBone
February 6th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Billy Jack is one of my fav movies Sun!