PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthdy Bob Marley

R_of_G
February 6th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Today is the anniversary of the birth of one of my top musical influences, Robert Nesta Marley. He has been a huge influence on the way I both listen to and play music, and today I will be listening to nothing but his music. Happy Birthday Bob!!!!

Tone2TheBone
February 6th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Every tings gon to be alright. Love Bob.

sunvalleylaw
February 6th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Happy B-Day Bob! Thanks for posting R_of_G. I am going to start off a Marley playlist with 3 Birds right now!

oldguy
February 6th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Ya, mon. Happy B-day.
We miss ya......

luvmyshiner
February 6th, 2008, 12:28 PM
My favorite Bob Marley song . . . "No Woman, No Cry". What a talent.

mrmudcat
February 6th, 2008, 04:57 PM
:smile-us: Oh yea mon I got one for ya!!!:smile-us:

Gil Janus
February 6th, 2008, 05:59 PM
One Love and Jamming are my favs. :AOK:

Gil :cool:

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I love Bob Marley to pieces.

Great music & soul, but I never understood the Halle Salassi worship.

I'm probably one spleef short of getting it ;).

SuperSwede
February 8th, 2008, 03:08 AM

Haile Selassie! Kind of Ethiopia! You need to puff a little more on your ganjapipe to understand.

R_of_G
February 8th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Long story short [as we aren't supposed to talk religion], Rastafarians believe Selasse is the direct descendant of Solomon and his coming to the Ethiopian kingship was the fulfillment of a prophecy which marked him as the savior. In actuality he was just another dictator.

If you want a better version of how rastafarianism came about and it's role in marley's life check out the bio "Catch a Fire." It's the best read on Marley around and features a great deal of info on Jamaican history and rastafarianism.

tot_Ou_tard
February 8th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Long story short [as we aren't supposed to talk religion], Rastafarians believe Selasse is the direct descendant of Solomon and his coming to the Ethiopian kingship was the fulfillment of a prophecy which marked him as the savior. In actuality he was just another dictator.

If you want a better version of how rastafarianism came about and it's role in marley's life check out the bio "Catch a Fire." It's the best read on Marley around and features a great deal of info on Jamaican history and rastafarianism.

Yes, I've heard of that book. I'll have to read that when I've finished travelling the Path of the Beam.

R_of_G
February 8th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Yes, I've heard of that book. I'll have to read that when I've finished travelling the Path of the Beam.

i do find non-fiction is always a good follow-up to the Tower. i like to alternate my reading like that. plus the marley book lends itself to listening to marley and peter tosh and lee perry and the skatalites et al while reading it, so it's very enjoyable.