PDA

View Full Version : Less is more - sometimes

Jimi75
February 7th, 2008, 02:43 AM
While checking Youtube for Peter Green videos, I came across this nice video of Ainsley Lister. It's not much that he plays to this BT, but it is very effective. He's got a great tone here, very close to Green and you can see how he really thinks and feels before he's playing a lick.

OxAWfNTnYs8

markb
February 7th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Very nice, Jimi. Those Cornford amps behind him are quite lovely too and may explain some of the tone (he seems to be plugged into the 50w model).

Sblack
February 7th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I am a huge fam of this guy's videos on YouTube. He plays with a purpose and a message. And what he plays matters. It is not a bunch of strung together notes flurrying as fast as possible without meaning. Great playing has meaning, and Lister is a great player in my eyes.

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Very tasty indeed, thanks Jimi!

duhvoodooman
February 7th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Wow, never heard of the guy before, but I'll be checking him out closer, you can be sure. Found this track, too; same recording situation, but different guitar & an SRV style:

Y0xMW5fXZ7I

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2008, 06:44 AM
:bravo: More, more :bravo:

er, I mean

:bravo: Less, less :bravo:

Same diff, at least sometimes (using the prevailing set of axioms) :D .

Radioboy950
February 7th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Wow, never heard of the guy before, but I'll be checking him out closer, you can be sure. Found this track, too; same recording situation, but different guitar & an SRV style:

Y0xMW5fXZ7I
HOLY COW...starting around the 1:40 mark, this dude and his Strat are on fire! And the TONE in both these clips is killer.
Thanks to this forum and the digital age, I am amazed every single day at the universe of great players.

Tone2TheBone
February 7th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Great phrasing. And look at that black and creme Les Paul yummy! Thanks for posting this Jimi.

Robert
February 7th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Great player, great stuff.

Spudman
February 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I've got a couple of his albums but I never knew what he looked like. He can groove pretty well. I like Balls Of Steel for a straight out rock and roll song. He reminds me a lot of Richie Kotzen which isn't a bad thing.

"You gotta fall down to grease the wheel
I'm standing here strong now I got balls of steel"

"not for the faint hearted you gotta know the deal
because they'll trip you up if you ain't got balls of steel"

aeolian
February 7th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I definitely hear Peter Green influence in there. Very tasteful playing.

Plank_Spanker
February 7th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Now, that's wringing some notes out of a guitar! :AOK:

Great touch, phrasing and tone.

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2008, 04:36 PM
"You gotta fall down to grease the wheel
I'm standing here strong now I got balls of steel"

"not for the faint hearted you gotta know the deal
because they'll trip you up if you ain't got balls of steel"
Or in Spud's case: *ball* of steel :D .

Spudman
February 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Or in Spud's case: *ball* of steel :D .

Exactly! Less is more right? It's all about quality over quantity.:)

M29
February 7th, 2008, 10:05 PM
That is some sweet playin. I love the track with the red strat. Does that look like a partsacaster? I don't see a Fender log on the headstock. I bet he can make anything sound good, just like Robert!

M29

sunvalleylaw
February 7th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Man that is nice! i played this track, a strat SRV style track and a BB King style track. Liked 'em all. That BB style track is just sweet listening as I am tying this.

sumitomo
February 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Yea I really like his playing also and that tone,then those little overtones every once in a while great reminds me to slow down and breath.Great vid thanks for posting it.Sumi

Lev
February 13th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Continuing with the less is more theme, here's one of my favorite guitarists Guthrie Govan playing some beautiful note combinations and not a shred lick in sight!

TINt-TjUbXE

just strum
February 13th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I don't know either of these guys, but they do sound good. i have one sort of OT. How are these guys associated with each other because I noticed they are both playing in the same room?

Spudman
February 13th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Continuing with the less is more theme, here's one of my favorite guitarists Guthrie Govan playing some beautiful note combinations and not a shred lick in sight!

Another fine example of just how good Guthrie is. On the Asia and GPS records he supports the songs very well even though he has the ability to play all over the place. He's what I would call a great musician. Even though he can totally shred he usually plays in the correct context of a song and very tastefully too.

Strum
They are common because it is the backing tracks people they are supporting. The room obviously is where the studio is for the backing tracks company.

Lev
February 15th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Actually I was so impressed with the quality of the backing tracks being advertised in these videos I went ahead and purchased the Contempoary Blues bundle. And you actually get tabs for all the improv in Guthrie Govans promo videos - what a bonus :bravo:

Jimi75
February 15th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Actually I was so impressed with the quality of the backing tracks being advertised in these videos I went ahead and purchased the Contempoary Blues bundle. And you actually get tabs for all the improv in Guthrie Govans promo videos - what a bonus :bravo:

That is pretty cool. The backing tracks are awesome and if you work intensivels with them you will get a good benefit! By the way, the Guthrie video is darn good. It's strange to see Guthrie play that way without all the notes, but he does a great job here. One of the greatest players around, no question.