PDA

View Full Version : Vox AD50VT imitating the Vox AC 15 and UK '70s

Robert
February 7th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Here's some messin' around with the AC 15 amp model on my AD50VT. Using the Avatar 2x12 cabinet with Eminence Wizards.

I like this amp model. It's quite mellow but still with clarity. Not much gain of course, but nice for those days of "clean playing". :D

marnold
February 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Sure, just when I finally conclude that I'm pretty happy with my tone, you have to post these three videos today. Sure. Thanks. Now my wife is going to axe murder me just a scant three days before my birthday.

My blood is on your hands, Bobby.

Robert
February 7th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I'm terribly sorry, Marnold. It has been good knowing you. :D

How about some UK '70s to make you feel better?

SuperSwede
February 7th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Nice sounds robert! The AC15 takes pedals pretty well, at least the one on the TL.

marnold
February 7th, 2008, 02:13 PM
That UK70s model is far and away my favorite on my Vox. Listening to it does make me feel better. It doesn't, however, lessen the "stabbing pains".

Algonquin
February 7th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Now my wife is going to axe murder me

My blood is on your hands, Bobby.
Dibs on his Bike! :D

markb
February 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Robert, are these the factory preset or have you tweaked the sounds to taste?

Robert
February 7th, 2008, 07:39 PM
No, these are manually tweaked sounds.

markb
February 7th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Ok, thanks, I'm about to use "buy now" on an AD50VT. I have "managerial" approval ;)

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Robert, are these the factory preset or have you tweaked the sounds to taste?
When you get your AD50VT ignore the presets. We *all* do. You'll be much happier if you think of each model as a different amp, & each effect as its own effect, & tweak to taste.

Enjoy!

markb
February 7th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the tip. As I already have a DA5 I know pretty much what I'm getting. I just want the same bigger, louder and stage worthy. I think I'll tweak a few, take notes and store whatever the gig calls for.

sunvalleylaw
February 7th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Interesting. I think I prefer the AC15 clip to the AC30. I also have always liked the UK70s, but now I know I would like that Bassman one too. I think because of those options, when I get a small, carry along amph, it will be a Vox rather than one of the Roland Cubes. Unless I get one of the other little tube ones (blackheart, EpiJr, Firefly). But I still think it would be fun to have all the Vox amp model options so I think I will end up going that way when I do.

markb
February 8th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I think VOX have chosen those two voices because the AC15 model gives you the Normal (originally Brilliant) channel and the AC30 model gives you the Top Boost of a classic VOX amp. The Brian May tone comes from the Normal channel with a treble booster. The jangly Tom Petty type tone is Top Boost. I'm of the TB generation myself and never used the Normal channel in my AC30s back in the day but I love that Valvetronix AC15 tone. With a bit more gain and top end it's very tactile and usable (and that's on a DA5).

Jimi75
February 8th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I think the Avatar really improves the sound. The amp modeling on that VOX amp is pretty good and the more I hear it the more I am convinced that it sounds better than the Line 6 Flextones.

The sound bears a certain kind of woodiness and let the character of the guitar through. Your playing does the rest of course - this time you really kicked "j-azz" :rotflmao:

I think with all modeling amps it is important to tweak the sounds yourself and to get used to your amp. You should never ever accept the factory presets, as most of them are very bad.

Those are really cool videos Robert - let us see what people on youtube will comment......."of snakes and veins"......could be a good book title, don't you think so? :thwap:

Robert
February 8th, 2008, 08:16 AM
"Of Snakes and Veins... Memoirs of a you-tube Guitarist..."

Thanks Jimi!