PDA

View Full Version : My band playing "Wind Cries Mary"

mark wein
February 7th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I've had this on my youtube channel for a while and forgot it was there...just ran across it (and a few more songs from this gig) this morning...

NxdY-UoZAAA

Spudman
February 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM
That was real cool especially the part where you light your guitar on fire. ;) :dude:
I'm happy that you are on thefret sharing all this good stuff with us.:AOK:

Algonquin
February 7th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Sounded great Mark... well rehearsed and well played! That's a really good band you've got there.

David

Jimi75
February 7th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Pretty good cover. The wind cries Mary was our marriage song, so I have a special relation to that number....

Well done my friend, thanks for sharing.

duhvoodooman
February 7th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Nice Hendrixian clean Strat tone there, Mark. Well done! :dude:

mark wein
February 7th, 2008, 11:54 AM
That was real cool especially the part where you light your guitar on fire. ;) :dude:
I'm happy that you are on thefret sharing all this good stuff with us.:AOK:

...uuum...that would be pretty expensive fire wood! :D

Thanks guys! I might post a couple of other tunes from that show...

Robert
February 7th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Sounds great, Mark. You nailed that solo pretty good.

What amp were you using?

mark wein
February 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Sounds great, Mark. You nailed that solo pretty good.

What amp were you using?

Thanks!

My 1971 Deluxe Reverb...it has a Celestion Greenback in it, so it is a little different sounding than stock. I probably had my RC Booster on, too....it was about a year ago....

Jimi75
February 7th, 2008, 12:03 PM
By the way, I am currently working on a piano version of Mary. My piano playing is still in the beginnings but I am trying at least....it's only a short clip, still have to figure out the solo...

http://www.box.net/shared/0wbftcgoc0

mark wein
February 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM
By the way, I am currently working on a piano version of Mary. My piano playing is still in the beginnings but I am trying at least....it's only a short clip, still have to figure out the solo...

Very cool! :AOK:

JJ Gross
February 12th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Nice version of that!
Good dynamics from the band, especially that one part where they don't blow over the top of you. :rotflmao:

Nice to hear someone do a Hendrix cover and not need all kinds of Swirly-Girly effects on top of a cranked Tube Screamer covering up sloppy playing.

Not that that's always a bad thing ... :whatever:

Cheers,
- JJ

mark wein
February 12th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Nice version of that!
Good dynamics from the band, especially that one part where they don't blow over the top of you. :rotflmao:

Nice to hear someone do a Hendrix cover and not need all kinds of Swirly-Girly effects on top of a cranked Tube Screamer covering up sloppy playing.

Not that that's always a bad thing ... :whatever:

Cheers,
- JJ

Thanks!

I'm fortunate that the guys I play with have such a surplus of taste they make up for my wanking :)

We've actually been doing this one lately where the band doesn't come in until the second verse...the keyboard player does this "B-3 in church Procol Harum" thing until that part for me to sing over that is pretty cool...hopefully I'l get a good video of it next month....

sunvalleylaw
February 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Hey Jimi, what happened to the clip? I went back to listen and it had gone away.

just strum
February 12th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Mark,

I came across that clip over the weekend, enjoyed it a lot. Just surfing through your stuff and stumbled on it.

Jimi,

Sounds nice - you have one hell of a voice and the piano playing sounds smooth.

mark wein
February 12th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Mark,

I came across that clip over the weekend, enjoyed it a lot. Just surfing through your stuff and stumbled on it.

Jimi,

Sounds nice - you have one hell of a voice and the piano playing sounds smooth.

Thanks!

sunvalleylaw
February 12th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hey Jimi, what happened to the clip? I went back to listen and it had gone away.

Cool, works now and sounds great! Mark, if I didn't say so before, I also really like your version very much!

mark wein
February 12th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Cool, works now and sounds great! Mark, if I didn't say so before, I also really like your version very much!

Thank you...its pretty straight forward...not too much fancy stuff!

oldguy
February 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Thank you...its pretty straight forward...not too much fancy stuff!

Didn't need fancy........ sounds great! Your vocals are excellent and the band rocks.... nice and tight.
Great job!:bravo: :bravo:

mark wein
February 12th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Didn't need fancy........ sounds great! Your vocals are excellent and the band rocks.... nice and tight.
Great job!:bravo: :bravo:

Thank you sir!

Iago
February 13th, 2008, 12:37 AM
absolutely great Mark.

by the way, what can you tell us about the guitar and pickups?

Jipes
February 13th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Great cover Mark nice clean strat sound I enjoyed a lot the chorus well played and quite groovy. Nice voice as well relax mood :dude:

Jipes

stingx
February 13th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Very good cover :bravo: :beer:

mark wein
February 13th, 2008, 09:05 AM
absolutely great Mark.

by the way, what can you tell us about the guitar and pickups?

Thanks Iago!

The guitar is a Suhr Classic with their v60lp single coils in the neck and middle and a DSV in the bridge...

aeolian
February 13th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I like it too.

Iago
February 13th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks Iago!

The guitar is a Suhr Classic with their v60lp single coils in the neck and middle and a DSV in the bridge...

Jeezus, thats just a completely 100% Hendrix tone! You're really getting what you paid for no doubt hehehe

mark wein
February 13th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Jeezus, thats just a completely 100% Hendrix tone! You're really getting what you paid for no doubt hehehe

It is a great guitar...I am really happy with both Suhrs....

I think the thing to remember though is that all he really did was plug a strat into a tube amp...I think people get a little crazy sometimes trying to get "the tone"...I have some nice gear but I should be able to get a workable sound from any decent guitar and amp. The last few gigs we've done I've played this one on my Tele and I thought it sounded pretty good...

M29
February 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Great sound Mark, pro band. Love that tone and vocal:AOK:

M29