PDA

View Full Version : Champion 600 speaker change: HELP!

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I just got a Weber AlNiCo 6" speaker to try in my Champiom 600. I'm having trouble removing the contact "clips"? from the speaker.

I've wiggled pretty firmly, but am nervous about damaging the speaker or breaking the leads.

I had no problem when I changed the speaker on my AD30VT. Should I just be brave & pull harder? Use pliers? Or is there some other secret to doing this?

Also: the installation instructions say that one can either remove the AlNiCo pot cover or leave it in place.

Questions:

1) What is the pot cover? I assume that it is the metal "can" covering the magnet.

2) Why would one want to remove this?

3) How would one (meaning me with the lack of technical abilities demonstrated with O too much painful clarity above) remove said pot should one decide that tonal bliss lies that-away (& only that-away)?

Thanks!!!

oldguy
February 7th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I don't know about the pot covers, but you might look really close at the contact clips on that speaker. Sometimes they'll have little "v" shaped "teeth" that crimp into the other half, and I've seen some that had a drop of solder securing them.
Don't tear that amp up, you've probably voided the warranty already!!
("Be vewwy, vewwy care-ful")

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I don't know about the pot covers, but you might look really close at the contact clips on that speaker. Sometimes they'll have little "v" shaped "teeth" that crimp into the other half, and I've seen some that had a drop of solder securing them.
Don't tear that amp up, you've probably voided the warranty already!!
("Be vewwy, vewwy care-ful")

A pair of needle nose pliers, some guts, & a prayer & they came right off.

I think the prayer was the most important part.

Tone2TheBone
February 7th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Does the speaker fit with the metal can on it? Those Alnico cans are usually pretty big.

Algonquin
February 7th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Is the new Weber a loaner to try out, or is it yours for the keeping?

Those Champion 600's look great... I'm sure the Weber will not dissapoint.

David

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2008, 05:33 PM
The Weber is *mine* baby!

Yeah the AlNiCo fits, but boy is it huge n' heavy!

Warranty, schmarranty.

Where would we all be if Adam & Eve hadn't decided to void the warranty?

:eek: ...ummm, *never mind*.

It's too late now.

Time to jam.

If you don't hear from me, you'll know why :D.

warren0728
February 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
now that's funny...got myself a new sig....thanks tOta

M29
February 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I am pretty sure you can leave the can on or off depending on how much room you have but I may be wrong.

M29

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
now that's funny...got myself a new sig....thanks tOta
Glad to oblige Warren-tee :D .

First impressions (not fair as my stock speaker was nicely broken in):

The alnico weber seems warmer & definitely improves the bass response (which is important a 6' combo). It holds up better & is smoother at volume & when pushed by a boost or an OD pedal. It lacks a bit of the high end zest at lower to mid volumes. I'll be saddened by that, if that ends up to be the case. Overall it seems a little quieter, which is OK by me because I rarely get to dime it anyway, so I'll just turn up the volume. This impression could come from the fact that I just had it up loud & my ears have adjusted.

*I SAID MY EARS HAVE ADJUSTED*
*CAN YOU HEAR ME?!? MY MOUTH IS MOVING*
*BUT NO SOUND SEEMS TO BE EMANATING FROM MY LIPS*

*I SAID NO SOUND...NEVER MIND!!!*

warren0728
February 7th, 2008, 06:26 PM
i'll be interested to hear how the tone changes once the new speaker is broken in....

ww

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I am pretty sure you can leave the can on or off depending on how much room you have but I may be wrong.

M29
Thanks M29!

I poked around the Weber site & they mentioned that the can is not removable from their 8" alnico, only from the larger ones. Since the 6' is a new model (or rather the reinstatement of an old model) I can see why there is no mention of the 6". I assume that it cannot be removed. The site claims there is no difference in tone in any case & since it fits fine as it is. I'll just leave it be.

warren0728
February 7th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I assume that it cannot be removed.
you just need a crowbar...it can be removed :rotflmao:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2008, 06:39 PM
you just need a crowbar...it can be removed :rotflmao:

ww
Dynamite would probably be faster ;).

After a little more time with it, I'm really starting to like the new speaker.

I'll shut up now & go break it in.

warren0728
February 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Dynamite would probably be faster ;).
but just a tad less accurate (but more fun)...

After a little more time with it, I'm really starting to like the new speaker.

I'll shut up now & go break it in.
yeah go break that speaker in!! :dude:

ww

oldguy
February 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Warranty, schmarranty.

Well, in that case, and given the fact you're pretty good with tools now, why not start doing some serious modding to the little bugger???:poke:

:bravo: :D :bravo:

marnold
February 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hmmm . . . I am preaching on selections of Genesis 2 and 3 for Sunday. Mayhaps this could be my sermon theme! It'd probably get people's interest piqued anyway.

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Well, in that case, and given the fact you're pretty good with tools now, why not start doing some serious modding to the little bugger???:poke:

:bravo: :D :bravo:
In due time Oldguy, in due time ;).

I've aready replaced the tubes with nice NOS tubes (a 5751 as preamp).

The next change will be a new transformer or two a la tung.

I'm going to wait awhile for that & let this speaker change set.

I got really great tones tonight, so I'm happy. I hope it only gets better!

Hmmm . . . I am preaching on selections of Genesis 2 and 3 for Sunday. Mayhaps this could be my sermon theme! It'd probably get people's interest piqued anyway.

Feel free to use it Marnold! All I ask is a homebrew if I ever make it to Wisconsin.

tot_Ou_tard
February 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I am just extremely happy so far with the speaker swap.

Anyone who has one of these *needs* a good clean boost. You can get great tones at a decent volume if you push the front end. Of course you get better tone at not so decent volumes ;).

(Caveat; I have some NOS tubes in there & I don't remember what she sounded like before I put them in).