PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this sound?

Danzego
February 7th, 2008, 08:50 PM
This is an interesting occurrence with my new Fender American Standard Strat. When playing the G string (and sometimes the B, especially when tuned down a half step), I hear this really high pitch sound along with the note I'm playing. You can hear it really well when raising and lowering the pitch of the string as the string is sounding. Mind you, this isn't even when I have it plugged in and it can be easily heard from several feet away (I haven't checked to see if it can be heard when plugged into the amp).

I don't know how to explain it.....it's kind of like a high pitch whine and you can hear it along with the note from the string. It seems to be coming from the bridge, so I moved the string in the saddle (I thought maybe it was unseated and it was ringing against the metal of the saddle, as if it was sitting funny), but that didn't solve the problem.

Does this sound familiar to any Strat players (or anyone else)? :confused:

markb
February 7th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Make sure all the saddle screws are in contact with the base plate. Loose ones can make some wierd noises. Just take the allen key and try to turn them clockwise. Any resistance and they're fine.

Danzego
February 7th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Actually, I think I may have located the problem. I put a piece of paper under the string in the saddle and tightened the string back up to see if perhaps it was the string was just lightly touching some point in the saddle and the vibration against the steel was making the whine. That didn't change anything.

However, I followed the sound up and it was also noticeable at the tuning posts. I put a piece of paper around the string right where it leaves the post and heads towards the nut, tightened it up, and that practically eliminated the noise. It may actually be the string ringing out against the post, or possibly against the steel tuning post nut that lies at the bottom of the post. :confused:

I'm going to change strings here and see if I can do a better job than those monkeys at Fender (I've never seen factory stringing jobs worse than theirs). Maybe that will eliminate the problem.

markb
February 7th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Might be a loose tuner nut, check the string trees as well if they're vintage types.

Danzego
February 8th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I checked everything and it all seems tight. Restringing it didn't help (though it did help with the tuning stability; Fender's crappy string job made tuning a regular task), even though I made sure that the string isn't sitting anywhere near the tuner nut.

I dunno, it's weird. If I place my finger on the G or B string behind the slotted nut (and in front of the string tree for the B string), I don't get that ringing. I have no idea what's causing it. :confused: Luckily, it doesn't seem to be an issue when it's plugged in, but I do play it unplugged quite a bit.

Anyone else with Strats hear anything of this sort?

duhvoodooman
February 8th, 2008, 06:07 AM
String tree rattle/vibration?

aeolian
February 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM
String tree rattle/vibration?

Definitely a possibility. But the B and G strings are on different string trees though. I would still check to see if the string trees are on straight, or may be even try angling them a bit. Another culprit can be the nut itself if the nut slots are not cut properly.

Katastrophe
February 8th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Definitely a possibility. But the B and G strings are on different string trees though. I would still check to see if the string trees are on straight, or may be even try angling them a bit. Another culprit can be the nut itself if the nut slots are not cut properly.

I'm thinking it may be an improperly cut nut slot, but it's just a guess.

Danzego
February 8th, 2008, 11:27 AM
It must be the nut itself, because there's only one tree- for the E and B strings.

ShortBuSX
February 8th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Apply some superglue to the nut slot(s) you think is the culprit(dont glue your string down)...or put a piece of paper under the string in the nut slot(to compensate for a nut cut too low).

If I remember correctly, one of my guitars did this too, but it turned out to be a loose nut on one of the tuners post.

Danzego
February 9th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Apply some superglue to the nut slot(s) you think is the culprit(dont glue your string down)...or put a piece of paper under the string in the nut slot(to compensate for a nut cut too low).

If I remember correctly, one of my guitars did this too, but it turned out to be a loose nut on one of the tuners post.

I'm not even going to bother rigging it. I just bought it last Tuesday.

I was in the area, so I stopped by Guitar Center and inquired about it, seeing if they've run into anything like that or see it commonly. They were (as expected ;) ) confused and offered to set up an appointment with their "repair guy". I said "how about you get another one in and we swap, instead?", to which they agreed.

*sighs*

Time for guitar swap, part II. :thwap:

markb
February 9th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Good luck with the replacement.

oldguy
February 10th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Danzego,
Hope you get the guitar swapped out OK. Let us know how it turns out.
You seem to be having a hard time finding a Strat with no quality issues...... beginning to make me nervous....... I had planned on trading in my MIM on a better Strat this spring.......now I wondering if I should just keep what I have.
I've tried a couple of Am. Stds, but they are set up so poorly in the store I can't evaluate them, a good set up might take care of the action and intonation, but I now wonder what else might happen........

Just curious..... did you notice the noise at the store when you played the guitar, and did you do a set-up on the guitar afterwards? If the noise wasn't there before, something had to change.

mrmudcat
February 10th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Has a proper string change(different strings) and steup been done yet? Have you checked the nuts on the tuners to be sure they are tight.All do respect brother but im a lil confused as to your problem and believe me I know strats.Other replys about sounds like this or that can hardly be anything but opinions or speculation at best.Im not sure I caught it but you did change strings? As for tuning instabilities ,until the string set is properly stretched out will you find tuning and holding tune getting better:D

Danzego
February 10th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Ok, let me recap just a bit and answer what has been asked. :)

I didn't hear the sound at the store, where, other than checking for dead spots on the neck, I only played it plugged in. However, the sound is occurring up at the headstock. If I only played plugged in, I might not care as much, but I do play unplugged quite a bit (I'll just grab a guitar and go sit down somewhere in the house), which is when I noticed it. So basically, it sounds like there's a slightly shrill metallic overtone when the B and G strings are played open. What it comes down to is there's something happening that I've never noticed on any of my guitars before and for the money, it irks me. :(

As for setup and adjustments, I've tweaked the saddles a bit (intonation), but nothing else. It actually felt and played really good right there in the store, unlike most Fenders I've played (though most have been MIM's). However, it's definitely unrelated, as I did the adjustments after I already noticed the sound.

Finally, I did restring it. Like I said, the people at Fender don't know how to string guitars. The ones I've played, you can tell they thread the string through the tuning post and wrap it around by hand, even wrapping the string over itself. Most of the strings even had a good 6 winds or so before heading towards the nut (anything more than 3 or 4 MAX is overkill; I prefer 2 to 3). With the way they do it, a non-locking nut guitar is NEVER going to stay in tune.

So yeah, I changed the strings and it seems to stay in tune well now (though I haven't been scrutinizing it with a tuner).

ShortBuSX
February 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM
ITs either the tuner nuts, the nut cut too low(that would be fret noise) or one of your saddles isnt seated all the way...Im leaning more towards the saddles now as this happened with my Tele...try turning the fore/aft screws, or even just push on the screw to make sure its all the way seated...but I betcha its one of the height allens, if they arent equal and one is slightly off on one side itll vibrate. Just push down on the saddle when it makes that noise, I betcha thats it...I betcha it stops when you push down on it.

just strum
February 10th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I didn't even think of that. I had that problem on my Squier and it drove me nuts.

I betcha he might be right;)

Danzego
February 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM
ITs either the tuner nuts, the nut cut too low(that would be fret noise) or one of your saddles isnt seated all the way...Im leaning more towards the saddles now as this happened with my Tele...try turning the fore/aft screws, or even just push on the screw to make sure its all the way seated...but I betcha its one of the height allens, if they arent equal and one is slightly off on one side itll vibrate. Just push down on the saddle when it makes that noise, I betcha thats it...I betcha it stops when you push down on it.

It's definitely not the tuners, fret noise, or the saddles.

If it was the saddle, the sound should go away when doing some palm mutes. In fact, palm muting makes the metallic sound easier to hear (since the string is vibrating, but the note itself is muted). Also, it only happens when playing open B and G. If it was the saddle, it should happen on every note.

For the tuner nuts, I changed strings, checking each tuner post and nut for tightness and making sure no string was touching the nut as it's coming off the post (like Fender's string job was, since they wrap it around the post so many times). The sound still occurs when I touch the tuner post and tuner nut to dampen their vibration.

It HAS to be the nut itself and the way it's slotted for those two strings. The sound I'm hearing goes away when I so much as lightly touch the G and B strings behind the nut (over the headstock; for the B string, I have to touch it in front of the string tree).

Danzego
February 10th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Here, actually I have the perfect way to demonstrate the sound. Grab your guitar and pluck the G and B string behind the headstock. Hear the "toy piano" sound coming from it? That's what I hear, but only way quieter (like I said, it sounds like an overtone, not the note itself).

The nut must be slotted weird so that it's allowing the string to vibrate behind the nut to the point where it can be heard. The last thing I want to do is be playing duets with a toy piano....but only in B and G. ;)

I just don't get how that works. I've sawed nuts out pretty wide (when I was still stupid/carefree enough to play around with that) and I never noticed any such thing before. :confused:

ShortBuSX
February 11th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I dare you to take a business card and place it under the saddles, under the allen height screws...betcha it stops.
Im tellin ya, my tele did the same thing.

BTW, dont just touch the tuner nuts, get the proper size wrench and check the tightness of all 6...Im not suggesting cranking them down, just check that they are all of equal tightness(torque).

And lastly, isnt this the 2nd Strat YOU have had issue with in just a few short weeks? If so...what is it that you are doing? Are you doing the intonation yourself? The only reason I ask, is these guitars are playing "fine in the store"...and if thats the case then it IS the saddle set screws...I have best results when both are of equal height OR if the burr is taken off the bottom of the allen screw, so that it has more contact with the bridge base.

But then again I could be wrong...I dont own an American strat, maybe its supposed to sound like a lil piano *shrug*

Danzego
February 12th, 2008, 11:25 AM
And lastly, isnt this the 2nd Strat YOU have had issue with in just a few short weeks? If so...what is it that you are doing? Are you doing the intonation yourself? The only reason I ask, is these guitars are playing "fine in the store"...and if thats the case then it IS the saddle set screws...I have best results when both are of equal height OR if the burr is taken off the bottom of the allen screw, so that it has more contact with the bridge base.

But then again I could be wrong...I dont own an American strat, maybe its supposed to sound like a lil piano *shrug*

Wow, I kind of take offense to that remark. What is it that I'M doing? I'm playing my guitars, same as I've been doing for the last nearly 20 years. :thwap:

The first Strat (MIM Standard) had tooling marks on the frets that I noticed after the fact. I didn't think to check for that in the shop, being that most guys on the production line don't typically use jackhammers or screwdrivers (or whatever) to tap the frets into place.

For the Am. Std. Strat, as I stated before, the only adjustment I've made is tweaking a couple saddles a bit for intonation....meaning I moved it a bit forward or backward via the screw on the back of the bridge. As stated earlier, I did that AFTER I already noticed the sound.

As for not catching that one in the shop, I noticed that when playing unplugged at home, where it's a BIT quieter than the local Guitar Center. I didn't even notice it right away, but it became evident during tuning, when the pitch of the ringing was going up and down with the open string (since that's the only time it happens) and now that I have noticed it, I hear it all the time.

I can do palm mutes and push down on the saddles with my fingers (not just touching it lightly) while plucking the open string and it will still have that sound. In fact, the sound is even more noticeable when muting since the string tone itself isn't obstructing it. I can even hold the tuning post or nut between my fingers firmly (not just touching) and the sound is still there. However, when I so much as lightly (as in juuuust barely) touch the G or B string itself above the nut, the sound goes away.

How is that most definitely a ringing saddle problem? If it was the saddle, it would stop when I pressed down on the saddle. It would also occur at fretted notes, not JUST the open string.

mrmudcat
February 12th, 2008, 11:34 AM
:beavisnbutthead: Hey I got a graphtech nut if you want to try it brother (free).:dude:

Also think you should plug it in dime it and forget about it!!!:rockon: :R :DR

mrmudcat
February 12th, 2008, 11:43 AM
ShortBuSX: I do think your comment was a little insensitive we are here to teach and learn from each other.This community should and does pride itself in civility .Your reply was a little nearsighted also because the first mexican fender had tooling marks from a 5 year old:D You could of checked before wasting time commenting sort of negative.:beer: Anyways just my opinion nothing more please no one take offense and lets all take pride in the way we treat each other:AOK:

Danzego
February 12th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Don't get me wrong; I appreciate your help, shortbus. I'm not stupid, though, and know what I'm doing when monkeying with my guitars.....and if I don't what I'm doing, then I don't do it in the first place (such as the case with, say, wiring). But again, I didn't do anything that would cause problems and if I did cause it, I certainly wouldn't be running back to the store with it as it would be my own problem at that point for screwing it up.

Speaking of which, that's an insanely generous offer on your part, mudcat (the graphtech nut). I would totally take you up on it if it weren't for the fact that I'm going to swap the Am Std. out at the store once they get a new one in. I appreciate that. :)

ShortBuSX
February 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Thats right, Im insensitive, I speak frankly often, but usually when I have some kind of insight from personal experience. I just find it laughable that everybody(exaggeration) beats up on Squier quality, or act is if MIM isnt of the same caliber in craftsmanship...and now youve got a $1000 guitar with the same issues as a Squier, but at $1000 who wants to tinker with it anymore, right?
And I apologize for my insensitivity, as it just seems you want to know what the problem is, but it doesnt seem that you are actually entertaining the idea of actually doing anything, and maybe thats just my perception from what youve typed, so once again I apologize.

BUT for the record: it could be the nut, a simple spot of super glue would remedy this, OR the easy painfree method would be to place a piece of paper under the string.
It could be the tuner nut or nuts, a wrench would fix this by checking the torque and making sure all are equal.
It could be the saddles, leveling the saddle making sure both posts are both touching the base, making sure there isnt a bur on one of the posts...and once again a simple piece of paper stuck under the saddles would prove this to be or not.
It could even be the spring at the back of the saddle...

...all simple easy fixes/tests for a simple problem.

PS, I remember reading the MIM topic, at the time I posted I only remembered the noise he described and it being a Strat, sometimes its hard for me to rule out whats consistant.

Danzego
February 12th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Thats right, Im insensitive, I speak frankly often, but usually when I have some kind of insight from personal experience. I just find it laughable that everybody(exaggeration) beats up on Squier quality, or act is if MIM isnt of the same caliber in craftsmanship...and now youve got a $1000 guitar with the same issues as a Squier, but at $1000 who wants to tinker with it anymore, right?

Well, I'm glad that my problem makes you feel better about the quality of Squier guitars, but you're preaching to the choir, so to speak. With over 400 posts to your name, I would hope you noticed that this place isn't filled with a bunch of "guitar snobs" and....can't tell if you're implying this....just because I decided to buck up and buy an American Standard instead of the MIM's I was looking at doesn't make me one, either.

Though at $1000, no, I don't want to tinker with it anymore. At least not for something that shouldn't be an issue to begin with (and I would imagine isn't for most guitars in general).

And I apologize for my insensitivity, as it just seems you want to know what the problem is, but it doesnt seem that you are actually entertaining the idea of actually doing anything, and maybe thats just my perception from what youve typed, so once again I apologize.

Do what? Start supergluing the nut and putting pieces of paper in it? That's something I would do for a $100 guitar I bought used off someone, not a brand new one I just bought that cost a considerable amount more and still have time to return it for another (provided I don't start dumping superglue in the nut slots). I asked because I wanted to see if it would be a problem with an easy explanation and correction, not something that would require rigging.

BUT for the record: it could be the nut, a simple spot of super glue would remedy this, OR the easy painfree method would be to place a piece of paper under the string.
It could be the tuner nut or nuts, a wrench would fix this by checking the torque and making sure all are equal.
It could be the saddles, leveling the saddle making sure both posts are both touching the base, making sure there isnt a bur on one of the posts...and once again a simple piece of paper stuck under the saddles would prove this to be or not.
It could even be the spring at the back of the saddle...

...all simple easy fixes/tests for a simple problem.

If you didn't notice, I considered other people's suggestions and ultimately found out the problem. It's not the saddles or springs at the back of the saddle. Touching the string lightly (and I stress again lightly; not even enough to change the pitch) behind the nut makes the problem stop. I don't know how long you've been playing, but I assure you, if the problem was any other of those things you mentioned, doing so wouldn't stop the sound. As for the tuner nuts, they would have to be rattling for that to happen and I make sure that isn't where the problem lies.

oldguy
February 13th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I dare you to take a business card and place it under the saddles, under the allen height screws...betcha it stops.
Im tellin ya, my tele did the same thing.

BTW, dont just touch the tuner nuts, get the proper size wrench and check the tightness of all 6...Im not suggesting cranking them down, just check that they are all of equal tightness(torque).

I feel that was a poor choice of words. If you'd bothered to go back and check the other post you'd have seen pictures as well as a description of the problem with the first Strat the man bought.
There is a better way to offer help than to "dare" someone also.
As far as your being wrong, yes, in my opinion you were, also rude.

Plank_Spanker
February 13th, 2008, 04:25 PM
This is an interesting occurrence with my new Fender American Standard Strat. When playing the G string (and sometimes the B, especially when tuned down a half step), I hear this really high pitch sound along with the note I'm playing. You can hear it really well when raising and lowering the pitch of the string as the string is sounding. Mind you, this isn't even when I have it plugged in and it can be easily heard from several feet away (I haven't checked to see if it can be heard when plugged into the amp).

I don't know how to explain it.....it's kind of like a high pitch whine and you can hear it along with the note from the string. It seems to be coming from the bridge, so I moved the string in the saddle (I thought maybe it was unseated and it was ringing against the metal of the saddle, as if it was sitting funny), but that didn't solve the problem.

Does this sound familiar to any Strat players (or anyone else)? :confused:

Just a stab, but is the truss rod loose? I've seen that and it gives a rattling overtone when played acoustically. I take it the truss rod adjustment is behind the nut? If it's loose and you like the action, just tighten it to the point of feeling some torque. The only other thing I can see is a loose tuner nut.

Even if you don't figure it out, the money on that guitar is plugged in so, if you can't hear it then, press on with all due pride and rock out! :rockon:

oldguy
February 13th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Even if you don't figure it out, the money on that guitar is plugged in so, if you can't hear it then, press on with all due pride and rock out! :rockon:

+1!:D :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :beer:

Dreadman
February 13th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Boy, this is a tricky one. I started a mental list of things to check at the beginning of the thread and one by one, each was mentioned by someone (good community of knowledgable folks!)

All I'm left with is that if you were to keep the guitar (looks like you're not though) you could tie a very short piece of rubber band around each offending string, above the nut. Not by any means a correct repair but an easy band-aid fix.

(EDIT) Maybe even a small piece of tape wrapped around each.

player
February 13th, 2008, 11:50 PM

interestingly enough Someone else I knew had a similar problem they found that graphite in the nut works wonders.just a thought:rockon:

mrmudcat
February 14th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Boy, this is a tricky one. I started a mental list of things to check at the beginning of the thread and one by one, each was mentioned by someone (good community of knowledgable folks!)

All I'm left with is that if you were to keep the guitar (looks like you're not though) you could tie a very short piece of rubber band around each offending string, above the nut. Not by any means a correct repair but an easy band-aid fix.

(EDIT) Maybe even a small piece of tape wrapped around each.

I had been playing with the idea that I knew a trick in the 80's where you wrap all the strings with a piece of tape.I did not want to suggest something I did not "remember correctly";)

By the way glad yo popped in Dread!:dude:

ShortBuSX
February 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
Any updates? Any resolve?

Robert
February 22nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
I have the same thing happening to my Strat. Mostly on the G string though. On my guitar, it's coming from the part of the string that goes between the tuning post and the nut. Possibly the nut can have be better slotted, I guess. I have a different neck than the original, but I had the same thing happen on the original neck.

I tried putting some dampening material on the string above the nut. It took away that "PING" sound, but it deadened the string quite a bit.

I've gotten used to it. The B and E string have string trees, and this doesn't not happen much with them as a result.

Danzego
February 23rd, 2008, 03:35 AM
Any updates? Any resolve?

I'm waiting on Guitar Center to get another one in, at which point the salesdude is supposed to give me a call and tell me to come down and grab it. In the meantime, he said to hold on to the first one until the new one comes in (and not to worry if it ends up going part the 30 day return policy; they'll take care of it).

I could have had him special order it in to rush one down there, but I've been VERY busy in school lately, which will be the case now through late March. thus, I'm not in a huge hurry to get it in since I won't be able to play much until the quarter is over anyways. However, it has been on my mind and I was considering giving a call this weekend to get an update. I'll update when I do so. :)

Danzego
February 23rd, 2008, 03:39 AM
I have the same thing happening to my Strat. Mostly on the G string though. On my guitar, it's coming from the part of the string that goes between the tuning post and the nut. Possibly the nut can have be better slotted, I guess. I have a different neck than the original, but I had the same thing happen on the original neck.

I tried putting some dampening material on the string above the nut. It took away that "PING" sound, but it deadened the string quite a bit.

I've gotten used to it. The B and E string have string trees, and this doesn't not happen much with them as a result.

Yeah, I'd have to say if a damping material is deadening the string, it must be the nut slot cut too wide or low to where it's allowing the entire string to vibrate and cause that noise. The string trees only make a slight difference though, since I'm having the problem on the B string (though not as bad as with that G string).

If it happens on the replacement guitar, I'm just going to cough up the dough and get a new nut put on. That's going to be kind of hard though, since I'm trying to save up for a wireless router that's going to ding me to the tune of $135 as it is. :(

oldsneakers
March 21st, 2008, 12:19 PM
I know this is an old thread but I couldn't resist replying. I have three mim Strats that have the G string overtone generated between the nut and the tunning peg as mentioned here. One is a 06 and two are 07's. I looked high and low for a year trying to get info on it. I wrote to Fender and they told me I was crazy. I ended up just wrapping something around the string which damped the overtone but also mutes the string some. Thanks for info here on how to fix it. I will give them a try. Great Forum also. Don't know how I missed it.

Danzego
April 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I updated this in a thread in the Strat forum, but it's more of topic here, so I'll give the quick and dirty version:

I took the Strat back, but it was taking forever for Guitar Center to get a new one in. Amazing- the largest the guitar store in America can't get a new guitar in from the largest guitar company in American. :thwap:

Anyway, due to some things people said, I was getting worried that the new guitar might not feel as good. When the salesdude offered again to have the nut replaced since Fender was now saying they were out of stock, I told him "if you have a graphite nut and not some cheap crappy All Parts plastic nut put on there, I'll come down and check it out."

I've been playing VERY nice with them since the first guitar problem (the Strat with the tooling marks on the frets), them trying to get in a Lonestar and that never happening, and now this. However, after having to wait around for hours for the nut to be put on since it wasn't done when they said it would be and then them not wanting to sell the guitar back to me for the 900 bucks I bought it for the first time (they went to fixed pricing recently, so they claimed their computer wouldn't let them sell it for under $1000), my frustration with the whole situation finally showed. I wasn't walking out of there without a $900 Strat or cash in hand and I was rather vocal about the fact. :mad:

Happy to say I got the Strat back with the new graphite nut and it plays great- no more sympathetic ringing of the strings above the nut. :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
April 17th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Great! You got a nice guitar with a nice upgrade! When you have a chance, could you upload a pic of the guitar with new nut?

TS808
April 17th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I'm just reading this thread now too...here are my thoughts (and I wish I had seen this sooner so I'm beating a dead horse). A few times when I've bought guitars (not just Fenders) they not only needed a good set-up, but I also noticed that often the nuts were cut improperly...usually way too deep and the slots were even too wide in some cases. On some guitars, if it came with .09's strung on it, the strings would literally wiggle in the nut slot...if I put 10's on it would be a little better but not much.

A good set up helps with a tech who knows how to file a nut too.

M29
April 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Sounds like a nut job to me:D

M

Danzego
April 17th, 2008, 11:00 PM
M29, you're killin' me!!! ;)

I'm just reading this thread now too...here are my thoughts (and I wish I had seen this sooner so I'm beating a dead horse). A few times when I've bought guitars (not just Fenders) they not only needed a good set-up, but I also noticed that often the nuts were cut improperly...usually way too deep and the slots were even too wide in some cases. On some guitars, if it came with .09's strung on it, the strings would literally wiggle in the nut slot...if I put 10's on it would be a little better but not much.

A good set up helps with a tech who knows how to file a nut too.

Yeah, I hear ya. :) But like I mentioned somewhere along the line, I just didn't see having to deal with immediately look into paying for a new nut on a thousand dollar guitar (even IF I paid "only" 900 for it).

Mind you- and I'm not saying that you're insinuating any different- I'm aware that there are a million other guitars out there that cost more and this isn't the highest end guitar on the shelf. When taken into that perspective, it's NOT an expensive guitar. But still, that's a lot of money to me and it was a pretty big stretch. I feel something as simple as a properly cut nut should be taken for granted on a brand new, quality guitar. Especially when every guitar I've ever owned before this cost no more than half as much (and most well below that) and not one of them exhibited such an issue. :)

Oh, and I'll get a picture up the moment I can. Right now is my little break from all day school and schoolwork just so I can get up early tomorrow to start all over again. Boy, I sure can't wait until I can actually PLAY this guitar a bit since getting it. :(

M29
April 18th, 2008, 06:26 AM
From my limited experience, I think the nuts on a guitar are the most neglected part of any new guitar. It is almost like they treat it as a last minute detail that is not that important. We all know that the material and surface where the strings set and where the nut contacts the neck are extremely important for tone transfere. I don't understand why this is not prioritized on any guitar over $500.00. Maybe it is a production thing, I don't know.

M29