PDA

View Full Version : Boss/Fender '59 Bassman Pedal

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Boss/Fender '59 Bassman Pedal @ Zzounds (http://www.zzounds.com/a--885181/item--BOSFBM1)

Did not want to further hijack Bucks thread so thought I'd open a new one. The Bassman sound is one of the most interesting to me right now, along with that Hughes and Kettner Statesman Quad. I have been digging the Bassman settings through my Toneport, and really got into Setzer's stuff through his Bassman. Anyone try this pedal out? If so, through what amph, and what did you think?

marnold
February 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I haven't tried one. I'd guess it's typical Boss quality. My issue with it is that it's $149 for a one-trick pony. It might be a neat trick, but when you consider that most modelers can do a lot more than that, I question the value. My $.02, probably overpriced.

You can also see Boss's videos of them (the first starring Captain Over-the-Top):
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=854

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I haven't tried one. I'd guess it's typical Boss quality. My issue with it is that it's $149 for a one-trick pony. It might be a neat trick, but when you consider that most modelers can do a lot more than that, I question the value. My $.02, probably overpriced.

You can also see Boss's videos of them (the first starring Captain Over-the-Top):
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=854

Thanks for the link. I tend to agree, unless I could find one used in a year or so for cheap like sometimes you can, to use playing out. My Toneport does a nice tweakable emulation I can use already at home. I was justa wonderin'. Some say the Marshall Guv'nor is like a Marshall in a little box, and I wondered what this one might be like. My C-30 takes pedals really well, and it might be a fun effect to add sometime.

Justaguyin_nc
February 8th, 2008, 05:22 PM
My Toneport does a nice tweakable emulation I can use already at home. I was justa wonderin'..

Other than saying I also thought those are great looking pedals and wonder how good they sound and thru what amp.. need effects loop?

The tweeds don't sound like my Bassman70, but ya knew that..

Ya know SUN, that toneport has great sounds..
I asked if the AC30 sounds on it are like the originals.. never got a reply..

Maybe we just need to keep those tones from line 6..:)
and get a PODXT Live and have them all ..:) :dude:

But still .. what is the best thing to play them thru...
For live performance without computers..

oldguy
February 8th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Justa......... I gotta say I can't help much here..... but thought I'd chime in anyway.
I have the POD 2.0, and I use the manual settings, then just add whatever effects sound good...... on the computer w/ Audacity.
The POD, as well as the Digitech RP-250 sound OK through any of my amphs...but they all seem to color the sound, and either suck tone or add noise...not as bad through the effects loop, but still audible. I've read the modelers all sound better through a PA with a flat EQ, as amphs are voiced to make the guitar sound better. I've turned off the amp models on both the POD and the RP-250 and just'a used the effects, and it's a decent sound, IMO, but more and more I'm using guitar>pedals>amph, and that's the sound I like best.
Some like the modeling amphs w/ pedals added,and I can't comment, since I don't own a modeling amph. Robert's Valvetronix sounds great in his videos, but he says he tweaks the presets. I've used the POD and Digitech w/ pedals added, into my amphs, but I always seem to hear a degradation of tone compared to my guitar/amph tone w/o the modeler in the chain.
Like I said upfront, I can't help much here, just'a my thoughts....:pancake:

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah, Justa, I have no idea if the Line6 Bassman models sound like the real deal. I know I like the sound though. I am just going to have to go in to guitar center and see if I can hook one to a C-30 and see what I think I guess, if they have one out to try.

Tone2TheBone
February 9th, 2008, 12:35 AM

Maybe we just need to keep those tones from line 6..:)
and get a PODXT Live and have them all ..:) :dude:..

Justa I smell gas....again. :beer: Not mine though whewww! :bravo:

There's the both of them, used, for sale at Music Go Round here in town but I can't remember how much they want. I don't have my C30 anymore and there isn't one in the shop to try the pedals out with...otherwise you know I would have done that for you Sunnylawski. I don't think the 'effect' would be the same if I played them through a Fender amp though because of what marnold said and I quote...

.."My guess is that if you play it through a Fender amp it will create a vortex of Fenderness from which not even twang can escape!"

+1 totally. Preach it brother M! :)