PDA

View Full Version : Plant/Krauss [with RIBOT!] to appear on CMT

R_of_G
February 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
From marcribot.com

Ribot On Country Music TV

Yes, you read that correctly. Ribot will appear on Country Music Television (CMT Network) on Monday, Febraury 11 at 8 pm eastern. As a member of Robert Plant and Allison Krauss' band, Ribot performed in Nashville on CMT's Crossroads program.

For more information, see here:

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/cmt_crossroads/127935/episode.jhtml

Kazz
February 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM
ok.....pardon the new guy...but who is ribot?

marnold
February 8th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I've seen bits and pieces of that before. In what I saw they were showing Ribot quite a bit. A tasty player. Next time I'll have to pay closer attention to him.

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM
We don't get that on our cable. Maybe I can check over at my mother in law's and set up a tape.

R_of_G
February 8th, 2008, 05:58 PM
ok.....pardon the new guy...but who is ribot?

marc ribot is a guitar player known by many for his work as a sideman with such folks as Tom Waits and Elvis Costello. He was a member of John Lurie's New York no-wave jazz outfit The Lounge Lizards. He was a member of several John Zorn projects [particularly Electric Masada]. He's also had a very prodigious solo career with projects of many styles. He continues to do session work, and most recently was the guitarist on the Robert Plant/Allison Krauss album, which will be featured in this tv appearance. He is, as many here know, my personal fav living guitar player.

Kazz
February 9th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the information.....have any of you listened to this new Krauss Plant cd......I like all forms of music...but this just did not appeal to me....I love Allison Krauss....and I really dig Robert Plant in both Zeppelin and Plant and Page.....but this combination really left me sour.

Just not my cup of tea I guess.

R_of_G
February 9th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the information.....have any of you listened to this new Krauss Plant cd......I like all forms of music...but this just did not appeal to me....I love Allison Krauss....and I really dig Robert Plant in both Zeppelin and Plant and Page.....but this combination really left me sour.

Just not my cup of tea I guess.

i loved most of it. it was nice to hear plant in a new context, like actually singing instead of wailing [i love plant in zep, but this was a nice change]. allison krauss i also love, and having ribot on guitar sealed the deal. some of it doesn't do it for me, but a lot of it does.

tot_Ou_tard
February 9th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I'll be travelling. I hope I can get CMT in the hotel room!

warren0728
February 11th, 2008, 07:23 PM
just started watching it.....missed the first 15 minutes.....good so far.... :bravo:

ww

R_of_G
February 12th, 2008, 06:37 AM
glad i got that one on DVR bc it's a more than watch once show for me. i was hoping for a little something different than just an hour of selections from the album. i sure as hell got it. ribot played zeppelin!!!!

"when the levee breaks" with allison singing lead was phenomenal [as was marc's solo], but the real fun was the very interesting re-arrangement of "black dog" which sounded as if arranged by Tom Waits for the Bone Machine or Mule Variations albums. Marc's playing with the Page riff on banjo was great, and his guitar solo left Krauss and Plant standing there looking at him with great respect. i noticed for both solos in the zep songs he used an e-bow briefly [as well as his car keys for a brief feedback moment].

The only thing I'd say was lacking was any band intros or, during the interview segments some talk from t-bone about why these specific musicians. i knew who they were, but still, give em some props on screen.

still, i give it an A. if they repeat it ad nauseum like cable stations do, be sure to catch it folks, it's a good one.

warren0728
February 12th, 2008, 08:38 AM
i did enjoy it....i too wish they had introduced the band....i assume ribot was the tele playing guy....i thought that was an ebow he was using and a set of keys....gonna have to check him out more.....he was great! :bravo:

ww

hubberjub
February 12th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I dug his playing on MMW's It's a Jungle in Here.

R_of_G
February 12th, 2008, 09:32 AM
i did enjoy it....i too wish they had introduced the band....i assume ribot was the tele playing guy....i thought that was an ebow he was using and a set of keys....gonna have to check him out more.....he was great! :bravo:
ww

yep, that was marc, with the tele and the banjo. he is the man. getting to hear him play zeppelin songs was a real treat.

I dug his playing on MMW's It's a Jungle in Here.

he does play exceptionally well with those guys. i have some live MMW on which he's guested. they do a sick cover of Horace Silver's "Psychedelic Sally" on one show, a nasty "Crosstown Traffic" on another, and get into very cool improv jams based on grooves billy & chris come up with. another great combo related to that was Marc's "Shrek" project which featured Chris Wood on second guitar [since he is a very guitarish elec bass player this was a cool project].

warren0728
February 12th, 2008, 09:47 AM
yep, that was marc, with the tele and the banjo. he is the man. getting to hear him play zeppelin songs was a real treat.
can you recommend some of his better stuff to download....there are 10 albums worth on amazon downloads :whatever:

ww : )

R_of_G
February 12th, 2008, 10:21 AM
can you recommend some of his better stuff to download....there are 10 albums worth on amazon downloads :whatever:

ww : )

i would say the self-titled "Marc Ribot y Los Cubanos Postizos" is prob the most "accessible" for lack of a better word. The tunes are relatively straightforward and the playing is exceptional. To get a sense of Marc as a solo performer I would check out the album "Saints." It is all solo guitar in several styles. Parts of it are a bit experimental, but then again, this is Marc. The thing is, most of his solo stuff is pretty out there. It's great music, but it takes awhile to get into what it is he's doing.

One project I would try to get my hands on is the mid 90's release "Painted Dessert" which features Marc and guitarist Robert Quine alongside Ikue Mori [co-founder of DNA and drum/sample queen]. There is some great playing all over that CD.

If you are interested in hearing some more of his work as a sideman I would check out Tom Waits' "Rain Dogs" "Frank's Wild Years" and "Mule Variations" albums. Much as I love almost all of Marc's projects, the combo of his guitar and Tom's voice is as good as it gets for me.

Hope that helps.

warren0728
February 12th, 2008, 10:28 AM
thanks...gonna start checking these out....i am a fan of experimental and "out there".... :dude:

ww

R_of_G
February 12th, 2008, 12:43 PM
thanks...gonna start checking these out....i am a fan of experimental and "out there".... :dude:

ww

no prob. you may like a lot of it then. i sure do! enjoy!:dude:

tunghaichuan
February 12th, 2008, 01:08 PM

ww

In that case, I'd recommend "Rootless Cosmopolitans" by Ribot. It's the only one I have, but some of it is way out there (which I like a great deal.)

He does a decontstructed version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" that simultanously pays homage to George Harrison and yet breaks totally new new ground.

tung

R_of_G
February 12th, 2008, 01:26 PM
In that case, I'd recommend "Rootless Cosmopolitans" by Ribot. It's the only one I have, but some of it is way out there (which I like a great deal.)

He does a decontstructed version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" that simultanously pays homage to George Harrison and yet breaks totally new new ground.

tung

a great rec tung! that is a unique cover of WMGGW, as his deconstruction of lennon's "happiness is a warm gun" from his "saints" album.

tunghaichuan
February 12th, 2008, 01:42 PM
a great rec tung! that is a unique cover of WMGGW, as his deconstruction of lennon's "happiness is a warm gun" from his "saints" album.

My favorite track on "Rootless Cosmopolitans" is "Have a Nice Day" which was a CD only track. That track is funny and scary at the same time ;) But man, can that guy play.

tung

R_of_G
February 12th, 2008, 05:36 PM
My favorite track on "Rootless Cosmopolitans" is "Have a Nice Day" which was a CD only track. That track is funny and scary at the same time ;) But man, can that guy play.

tung

i love that one. the whole album. if you like that style, you should check out "Requiem for What's His Name," "Yo! I Killed Your God" and/or the afformentioned project called "Shrek".

R_of_G
February 20th, 2008, 09:03 AM
For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is the version of Black Dog performed on the show. I love this arrangement, it's sounds like it was arranged for Tom Waits.

For those who don't know him, Ribot is the guy playing banjo in the beginning and the guitar solo at the end...

wi7raSRXH9M

marnold
February 20th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I expected to hate that Plant/Krauss thing, but I actually really enjoyed it. She seemed in genuine awe of him.

R_of_G
February 20th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I expected to hate that Plant/Krauss thing, but I actually really enjoyed it. She seemed in genuine awe of him.

i wasn't sure what to expect at first, but once i heard plant doing actual singing, i knew it would be a treat. i loved that there was some interview stuff on the show during which Allison talks about how her brother Victor [who plays bass for Bill Frisell] got her into Led Zeppelin when she was a kid. talk about awe, how about the way both of them look at Ribot after his solos!