PDA

View Full Version : Nashville Tele 'Pickguards'

Algonquin
February 9th, 2008, 08:19 AM
http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickguards.html

I'm still entertaining the thoughts of installing a humbucker in the neck position of my Tele, but don't want to go so far as to modify the pickguard it came with to do this.

I've peaked under the guard and the body is already routed out for such a mod, but I'm not sure yet if it will fit a fullsize, or just a mini.

My thoughts were to buy an aftermarket guard in order to keep the original intact. Guitar Fetish is now stocking some of these Nashville guards, but don't have the SSH config yet. I'll try and watch this site to see if they start to carry this config and give a shout back here. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's thought of doing this. I'd just like to have the ability to convert back to original should the need arise.

Happy tinkering Fretters...

:beer:

duhvoodooman
February 9th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Doesn't look like it would be too hard buy one of those $20 NT pickguards and just enlarge the top single coil cutout to fit either a mini or full-size HB. Use a jigsaw or coping saw to cut out the rough shape, and finish it off with files or sandpaper.

That's an interesting mod idea, Al. Damn you for mentioning it! :flamemad: ;)

t_ross33
February 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I have a tort shell pg for a Nash that I bought from GF that was going to be for a project that didn't pan out.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/t_ross33/nashpg.jpg

PM me if you want it.

Trev

Algonquin
February 9th, 2008, 10:50 AM
PM sent...

tunghaichuan
February 9th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I've had good luck using a router/laminate trimmer and a flush cutting bit. I even have a few humbucker-sized templates for cutting holes in pickguards that I made from 1/2" Lexan.

tung

Doesn't look like it would be too hard buy one of those $20 NT pickguards and just enlarge the top single coil cutout to fit either a mini or full-size HB. Use a jigsaw or coping saw to cut out the rough shape, and finish it off with files or sandpaper.

That's an interesting mod idea, Al. Damn you for mentioning it! :flamemad: ;)

Algonquin
February 9th, 2008, 11:27 AM
1st PM sent dissappeared... I goofed I guess. Second PM sent.

Ya Tung, a router with a template would be the cleanest way to go.

To install a bucker in the neck you'd have to reposition a bit toward the bridge, which would mean you'd have to drill new mounting screw holes. You could fill the lipstick holes with something, or use a level HB plate to cover. I'm thinking a little coloured filler would prawly look best.

Cheers,

David

duhvoodooman
February 9th, 2008, 11:53 AM
To install a bucker in the neck you'd have to reposition a bit toward the bridge, which would mean you'd have to drill new mounting screw holes.
Do you know if a mini-bucker would fit with the existing mounting holes?

Algonquin
February 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM
It's close, but I don't think so.

I'll assume a lipstick p/u is pretty much a standard size among manufactures, so here's specs from Seymour Duncan.

Lipstick
Posts are 2.852 apart, p/u length is 2.468, width is 0.500

MiniBucker
Posts are 2.924 apart, p/u length is 2.580, width is 1.085

Humbucker
Posts are 3.063 apart, p/u length is 2.695, width is 1.438

duhvoodooman
February 9th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Lipstick
Posts are 2.852 apart, p/u length is 2.468, width is 0.500

MiniBucker
Posts are 2.924 apart, p/u length is 2.580, width is 1.085
So you'd need (1.085-0.5)/2 = 0.2925" extra on top, i.e. a bit more than a quarter inch. My NT has a half inch of p/g between the top of the neck p'up and the bottom of the neck. Close, but looks like it would go....

Algonquin
February 9th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I'll have a looksie, but it'll depend on what has been already routed underneath. The only mod I'll do at this point would be to the pick guard.

Who know's... maybe I'll consider replacing the centre strat with a mini-hb.
(Where will the madness end? :messedup:)

T_Ross made me a good offer on his Tortoise Shell Nashville Guard!, and he promised to mail it from the Corner Gas station in Dog River too!

Doesn't get any better than this. :AOK:

Bucks Owin
February 21st, 2008, 09:08 AM
Who know's... maybe I'll consider replacing the centre strat with a mini-hb.
(Where will the madness end? :messedup:)

Madness is right! Why not just get a Les Paul "Black Beauty" or a 3 pup SG and be done with it? You have obviously bought the wrong guitar if you want all these humbuckers....

The "Fender sound" comes from single coil pups dontch'a know....

JMO,

Dennis

Algonquin
February 21st, 2008, 09:29 AM
Thank Trev! The pickguard arrived here safe and sound, and in brand new condition!

Those three buckers are going to sound great in it! :AOK: