PDA

View Full Version : Best Flatwound Bass Strings

r_a_smith3530
March 27th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Well, they finally arrived, I've installed them on Mr. Bacon, my 'Hog G&L L2K, and all I can say is WOW! Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats are, bar none, the tastiest string I've EVER played. They still have to settle in, but right off the bat, there isn't a smoother flatwound made, and I've tried a bunch.

They aren't cheap, costing almost half of the new price of a Squier Bullet Strat, but most people I've talked to report that they hold up for at least a year or more. They are, I believe, the lowest tension bass flat available, and much easier to bend than the Rotosounds I had on Fender Frankenbass. They also feel like they have much less tension than the D'Addario XL Chromes that I used to have on my old Yamaha RBX774. I had to re-adjust my truss rod once I had installed them.

I can't wait to hear them through my Russian Big Muff Pi once they are thoroughly broken in!

LowEndWonder
December 29th, 2007, 10:25 AM
LaBella's Deep Talkin Bass, TI Jazz Flats, D'Addario Chromes, and GHS Precision Flats. If you want old school flat sound and feel, go with the LaBella's or GHS'.
If you want a woody sound, the TI's. If you want a more useful all around flatwound that is slightly brighter and speaks more, go with the D'Addario's. :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
December 29th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Did'ja ever try Pyramids? I've heard that the bass players in San Francisco in the 60s felt is was a big part of the San Francisco sound.

LowEndWonder
December 29th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Did'ja ever try Pyramids? I've heard that the bass players in San Francisco in the 60s felt is was a big part of the San Francisco sound.
Paul McCartney uses them on his Hofners.