PDA

View Full Version : Picksplorations

tjcurtin1
February 9th, 2008, 08:08 PM
OK, I know that this is undoubtedly a newbie thing, but anyway...

I've been focusing on playing mostly acoustic lately, and I more often fingerpick. While working on flatpicking, I've gone from a thin to a medium, noticing the difference in sound and feel. However, with my first guitar came this monster of a pick - more like a piece of steel it felt like to me - and I wondered how anybody could possibly use such a thing! It felt like it would either break your finger or a string to use it. So it got tossed in a drawer, surely never to be used.

Well, while listening to a tune on the Harvey Reid/ Joyce Anderson 'Song Train' collection, I found myself wondering how he was getting this great percussive sound, when it occured to me to find that monster pick and try it. Wow, it worked! Not only that, but it gave the guitar a markedly different sound. And I found that in the meantime, I had developed my right hand enough so that I could actually use the thing without it flipping out of my fingers or sounding horribly choppy.

So now I know why they would ever make such a thing as a thick pick... a small thing I know, but one more enjoyable discovery in the guitar-playing process.

Spudman
February 9th, 2008, 08:10 PM
This is one of the reasons that V Picks are so cool. If you are interested do a search. We've got a thread or two on them.

tot_Ou_tard
February 9th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Yeah V-picks are cool indeed.

You lose a bit of edge & attack, but there are times where its smooth & thundering tone are approprate.

markb
February 9th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Picks are the cheapest way of getting tonal variations. I have a box of assorted picks in all shapes and weights and will buy unusual picks when I see them just for the fun of finding new timbres.

t_ross33
February 10th, 2008, 01:33 AM
As my playing progresses, I find I can use a heavier pick. I still grab a thinner pick (0.6 mm) for strummy acoustic stuff, but mostly use a .73mm for electric (which is probably more "medium" than "heavy).

Still can't figure out how Brian May uses a sixpence coin! I think the Reverend Billy Gibbons uses a coin once in awhile too :confused:

tot_Ou_tard
February 10th, 2008, 06:15 AM
As my playing progresses, I find I can use a heavier pick. I still grab a thinner pick (0.6 mm) for strummy acoustic stuff, but mostly use a .73mm for electric (which is probably more "medium" than "heavy).

Still can't figure out how Brian May uses a sixpence coin! I think the Reverend Billy Gibbons uses a coin once in awhile too :confused:
That ain't nuttin', take a gander at these (5.66 mm):

http://www.v-picks.com/BigFatttie.html

I got one, when Vinnie had a pre-NAMM half off sale. They work great.
My favorite is the Medium rounded normal thickness.

----------------------------------------------------

Well what do you know. Vinnie now has the psycho (a pointed-tip version of the big fattie) on sale for half off (now $10) until Feb 29.

http://www.v-picks.com/psycho.html

just strum
February 10th, 2008, 07:46 AM
It's interesting to see how much conversation a pick can generate. I've seen other threads on here that end up being some lengthy threads when discussing the pick.

Right now I use two different brands. Snarling Dog and Dunlop.

The Snarling Dog Brain picks are 0.60mm. I purchased these originally because of the good grip you get (emery board like surface) and at the time I had problems with the pick moving around between my fingers.

The Dunlap Stubby picks I just purchased about a month ago and I like them. With these I have 1.0mm to 3.0mm. I have what I refer to as normal size pick (surface area) and small. I didn't think I would adapt to the smaller ones, but I've come to enjoy using them.

Never tried these V picks, probably for the same reason I don't purchase a $10,000 guitar. I'm sure they are everything you guys claim they are, but at my level of playing I cannot justify the cost. Plus based on what you guys keep saying, I would probably become addicted to them;)

warren0728
February 10th, 2008, 08:57 AM
i also use the dunlop big stubby pics.... 1.0mm....the red ones

i like them and are easy to hold on to....i end up dropping thinner pics....also a lot of the time i play with the rounded edge instead of the pointy part....

ww :greenguitar:

tot_Ou_tard
February 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Never tried these V picks, probably for the same reason I don't purchase a $10,000 guitar. I'm sure they are everything you guys claim they are, but at my level of playing I cannot justify the cost. Plus based on what you guys keep saying, I would probably become addicted to them;)
Yes, but you only need one, they don't wear out like other picks. Unless you are prone to dropping them. They are clear, so you might lose it. The regulars are $4. I still don't like'em much for rhythm, but they are great for lead.

just strum
February 10th, 2008, 09:39 AM

i like them and are easy to hold on to....i end up dropping thinner pics....also a lot of the time i play with the rounded edge instead of the pointy part....

I would say the 1.0mm is my primary pick these days. I really am not comfortable with anything thicker when playing rhythm as I tend to feel a loss of control.

If you have a problem with a thinner pick, you should try the Snaring Dogs Brain picks.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Snarling-Dogs-Tin-Box-Brain-Picks?sku=110010&src=3SOSWXXA

SuperSwede
February 10th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Try the Big Stubby 3.0! Awesome pick that works for most situations

warren0728
February 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Try the Big Stubby 3.0! Awesome pick that works for most situations
i might have one of those around here....several months back i started experimenting with thicker picks and bought some really thick ones....gonna go digging....no telling where they ended up when i moved! :thwap:

ww

aeolian
February 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I switched to Dunlop Jazz III about 8 years ago and have been very happy with them, they are 1.38 thick. I experimented with both the red and the black ones and settled on the red ones.

I'm curious about V-picks though. I've been wanting to get a few to try out but just never got around to it yet.

SuperSwede
February 11th, 2008, 02:43 AM
i might have one of those around here....several months back i started experimenting with thicker picks and bought some really thick ones....gonna go digging....no telling where they ended up when i moved! :thwap:

ww

I wonder where all lost picks end up.. somewhere in the world there must be a huge mountain of lost picks... probably just beside the mountain of odd socks.

markb
February 11th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I wonder where all lost picks end up.. somewhere in the world there must be a huge mountain of lost picks... probably just beside the mountain of odd socks.

No, they go back to Pickworld where they lead happy, rewarding lives. This is in the same part of the galaxy as Biroworld, Sockworld and Allenkeyworld :)

just strum
February 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM

Problem solved. I picked up some Ice Pix (the pick that sticks), it has little micro suction pads that enable it to stick anywhere on your guitar. The little suction pad adds grip while playing and then you just touch it to your guitar and it stick like a magnet, no hard pressure needed, no marks left on the guitar. Stick different sizes to your guitar body or head and have them real handy and you don't lose them.

http://www.privatereserveguitars.com/Ice-Pix-Stix-Mini-Suction-Celluloid-Guitar-Picks-Assorted-Colors-6-Pack-117503-i1123989.guitars

They're still working on the sock issue, but I will get back to you when I hear something.