PDA

View Full Version : Modeller W/tube Amp

piebaldpython
February 10th, 2008, 10:23 AM
OK, anybody have experience with running a modeller (pod pocket or Korg PX4) though a tube amp and just having the sound come out of the tube amp instead of the modeller? Pros/cons. My guess is that the amp modelling/FX would take the characteristics of the tube amp in audible sound??? Hoping!!! aaahahah

Spudman
February 10th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Generally the modeler output is run into the effect loop of the tube amp thereby bypassing the preamp section of the amp. Doing this insures that little coloration comes from the amp's preamp and the modeled sounds will remain true. However, you are still going to get a bit of flavor from the tube amp just because it still has some of its own character, but bypassing the preamp and tone stacks will provide the least coloration and the modeler will more effectively model.

If you don't have an effect loop on your amp then turn down the output on the modeler completely and fully turn up the master volume on the amp and the channel input that you will be plugging the modeler into. This should get the truest sound from the modeler in this case. Slowly bring up the modeler output until you get the desired volume.

sunvalleylaw
February 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM
So that would work for running my Toneport in to my Peavey, correct? It is what I have been doing and it seems to work at home volumes.

jasongins
February 10th, 2008, 01:28 PM
If you don't have an effect loop on your amp then turn down the output on the modeler completely and fully turn up the master volume on the amp and the channel input that you will be plugging the modeler into. This should get the truest sound from the modeler in this case. Slowly bring up the modeler output until you get the desired volume.

Hey Spud...

How well does this work? Is there any issue with running the amp at full volume for extended periods of time while using the modeler to ultimately determine the volume that you hear?

Spudman
February 10th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Running the tube amph full out ensures that you get the cleanest reproduction of the modeled signal. You aren't really necessarily at 'screamin solo' level. The amp will reproduce all the frequencies from the modeled tones more faithfully if you run it this way ONLY if you aren't using the effect loop in the amph but running the modeler into the normal guitar input on the amph.

There should be no problems with this provided you aren't trying to push 120 db full time with the amph. You will adjust the overall volume with the output of the modeler.

SuperSwede
February 11th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Also make sure that you set your modelers output to (poweramp out) instead of studio/direct record. That is possible on most tonelab and will make sure that you´ll get the best sound possible when going through a poweramp.

mechanic
May 9th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I thought you would get the cleanest reproduction of the modelers signal
with the tube amp at a lower volume setting?
When I crank my valve jr. I get some sweet tube distortion,but wouldn't that distort the modelers signal too?
I have no experience trying this so I'm just wondering out loud here.
Eric