PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on New Blackheart Amps

tunghaichuan
February 10th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Just thought I'd pass this along. This message was posted on the Sewatt.com forum yesterday:

I just finished replacing all of the .022 caps with mallory's and the 470pf ceramic with a silver mica 500pf, c-7 with a 1000uf and r-2 with a 10K....and what a b*tch that PCB is to work on!!! Double sided and the pads lift like the old valve jr green boards,but on both sides! I'm pretty good with an iron and it gave me a hard time...so be very careful what you commit to on these or you may be sorry! I also swapped out the tubes for a JJ el-84 and a GT-12ax7... much better! If I was gonna do any heavy or repeat modding to this I'd get or make a blank turretboard without a doubt. Just a friendly heads up guys.

and

It's not that the boards are super fragile...they are not...good thick traces. The problem is the pads top and bottom lift easily when you have to remove components. Like electrolytics with one pole trace on top and the other on the bottom with 4 solder joints to remove...that kind of thing. Top soldered stuff like the bitmo kits wouldn't be too bad,but for any real overhaul work it is cumbersome to say the least.

Yikes! I'm definitely going to replace the PCBs in my amps with eyelet boards.

I have to wonder if the boards are purposefully fragile to encourage modders to buy the Mojo replacement boards. :thwap: :confused:

At any rate, those looking to build some experience in modding amps would do much better with the new Ver. 3 Valve Juniors. The PCBs in those amps are single sided and fairly sturdy.

tung