PDA

View Full Version : Music From the 60's and 70's

just strum
February 10th, 2008, 06:53 PM
It amazes me that the music from that time period still brings in new fans. My daughter is downstairs watching the Beatles First US Visit video. I walked through the room and it stopped me dead in my tracks. The memories just flooded into my head. My daughter looks up and tells me we need to get Help and Yellow Submarine (we already have A Hard Days Night). I also found out where all my Beatles CD's went.

The point being is how the music from that period seems to be timeless. I know there are some younger people on the forum that may have not grown up with this music, but I just find more and more kids are listening to a lot of the music from both the 60's and 70's.

Childbride
February 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Strum, when i was in high school, my mom actually had an original LP of 'Help'... i played that thing constantly, and had every note memorized.

i listened to a great deal of 60's and 70's music, and reach for it now often in my quest to learn guitar.

i too find it timeless.

i am slighly peeved that my mom promised to save that LP when i went to college and it disappeared in a garage sale, but i'll get over it.

the memories of the music Live On. ;)

Danzego
February 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM
With all the crap that's being pumped out over the airwaves (both radio and TV) and the internet these days, it should be no surprise that there are people who see through it and fall back on musically better times.

Plus, I guess ya just raised her right, strum. Give yerself a pat on the back. :bravo:

oldguy
February 10th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I tend to agree about the music I grew up with, but with a caveat.........
if you search there's great music out there today, also.......
some days I'm just too lazy too look...... but it's really not all garbage today.....just'a seems like the crap is all that gets the airwave plays.
Once I put a Sirius radio in my truck, I was amazed at all the great new music out there..... but when I go back to terrestrial radio I can't find it.
There's also lots of good new music on the 'net radio, if you have time to search it out.
The classics are timeless though, no doubt about it.:AOK:

just strum
February 10th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Both you guys have some good points. I agree there is a lot of crap out there, but OG with satellite radio has an advantage (I don't have satellite radio). I get the feeling that a lot of today's musicians don't realize the real roots of the music they play. I could be wrong, but I just get that impression. It's as if they go back one generation of music and use that as their roots without having any idea of who inspired the artist that they admired and caused them to want to pick up a guitar.

Mudcat has made comments about his kids playing and knowing about earlier artists. I think that is really good, because not only are they enjoying themselves, they know where the music comes from.

I think we had this conversation or one similar not too long ago.

Katastrophe
February 10th, 2008, 07:50 PM
My stepdaughter surprised us a while back by telling us she studied the Beatles at school. Good stuff!

oldguy
February 10th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I think we had this conversation or one similar not too long ago.

I think you're right, Strum.
The Mayer thread is just one example. :pancake:

just strum
February 10th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I think you're right, Strum.
The Mayer thread is just one example. :pancake:

Well, just like the music, it just doesn't fade away.

kiteman
February 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM
The 60s and the 70s are all I cared to play on my guitar. :)

I still listen to 'em on my cassettes and cds.

oldguy
February 10th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Don't give up, yet, Fretters!
If you don't like anything else, PLEASE watch the last one!!!:bravo: :bravo:
We're all getting older, thus the first 3 posts of videos........ but just watch the last one..... it's gonna BE...alright......it's gonna BE...alright.....:beer: :beer:

XQXnvNwGTAY

jrs8Fh6f48I

UsXaBFEyag4

sa4toom1HJg

R_of_G
February 11th, 2008, 06:18 AM
great msuic from any time period remains timeless. there is plenty of stuff from that era that doesn't stand up to the test of time, but the great stuff [obv the beatles and the like] will stand up generations from now. it's the same reason i listen to jazz from the 1930's-40's this many years after it happened. great music is great music without respect to when it's recorded. it's encouraging to hear that it still gets through to some younger people. my 16 yr old niece loves hendrix and her 15 yr old brother loves the who, so i know at least two kids who know there was great music before today.

Bloozcat
February 11th, 2008, 08:15 AM
The test of time is the measure of all music. That's why classical music has remained popular for centuries. Same with older jazz, blues, big band, and so on.

We shouldn't have to "search" for good music, it should be getting out there as a normal course of events - as it has always done in the past. But it isn't, and I think we all know why. But those controlling today's music industry can't fool everyone, it seems. How else can they explain the way that kids today are gravitating towards the older rock music? Maybe these kids are smarter than the music exec's gave them credit for.

I don't know anyone who'll take canned hash when they can have a fresh fillet. Good is good and bad is bad. And thank goodness there are still younger people who can see the difference.

Tone2TheBone
February 11th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Yup I get a kick out of loading my old school music onto my youngest daughter's iPod and hearing her walk around the house singing Beatles and Pink Floyd songs. My mother also had original Beatles albums in the 60s when I was a kid. They were mine for years until they got lost somewhere along the way.

sunvalleylaw
February 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Wow, check out that little kid on the SG! (In OG's vids I mean). :bravo:

oldguy
February 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Told ya he was good!:bravo: That's why I asked people to watch the last one, if they didn't check any of the rest of them out.......how old do you think he is?
Isn't that awesome? :AOK:
There's hope for the world, I tell, ya.:D
He rules! When the singer chokes, he just takes over and kicks A$$!!:rockon:

Jimi75
February 12th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Here's my two cents:
My nephew was about 14 when he heard The Doors for the first time. We then watched the Oliver Stone movie together and in the end they show Père La Chaise, the cemetary in Paris where Jim Morrison is buried. Paris is only 4,5h away by car. My wife and I decided to take my nephew on a trip to Paris that very evening and in the morning we visited Jim's gravesite. During the journey we listened to The Doors and to Jimi Hendrix. Next my nephew visited all of Randy Hansen's concerts in our area and now he is a great drummer (22 years old now)! Influenced by John Densmore, Mitch Mitchell and Keith Moon. He now is the drummer of my new formed blues band with whcih we star rehearsing on 22.02.08.

Good music will survive!
to get back to the topic - the music of the 60's and 70's is my favourite music, too.

Kazz
February 12th, 2008, 05:36 AM
damn kids make it look so easy

just strum
February 12th, 2008, 08:59 AM
My son initially started listening to Chicago and Blood, Sweat, and Tears. Eventually he picked up the trombone, not my choice in instrument, but he enjoys it. He's taken a lot of music related classes in HS and continues in college. A lot of music history and music appreciation type things - he knows more about the older stuff now than I do.

And as I noted before, he now listens to a lot of Hendrix era music. He can belt out Little Wing on the trombone like no one else:D