PDA

View Full Version : Im sellin almost all my guitar equipment..

grungeiceman
February 11th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Yeah, I found something I love more then guitar, a girl, so im selling my fender Twin reverb, My ibanez s470, the peavey bandit, I sold my iceman, and sold my drum set. But I couldnt be more happy. I also may need some tips on rings if any one has some.

mrmudcat
February 11th, 2008, 01:06 AM
:D Sorry errrr I mean glad to hear ......how much for the twin got pics:beer:

grungeiceman
February 11th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Im happy about it, but The twin will be probly 500 plus shipping. But man, Im happy, Im only 17 but, I cant wait.

mrmudcat
February 11th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Feel free to send pics of the twin or post em here.What speakers are in it what year ??? :beer:

oldguy
February 11th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Im happy about it, but The twin will be probly 500 plus shipping. But man, Im happy, Im only 17 but, I cant wait.

Good luck, don't forget you said it first.........I guess.....:pancake: :pancake: :pancake:

SuperSwede
February 11th, 2008, 02:34 AM
...a girl, so im selling my fender Twin reverb, My ibanez s470, the peavey bandit, I sold my iceman, and sold my drum set.

Been there, done that....

Just wanted to recommend you that you should save your best amp and guitar.
You will (probably) not afford to buy serious gear for a couple of years (read 10-15), and the longer you live with a woman the more likely is that she will turn into a hound dog from hell every time you mention something about buying guitars/amps/whatever.. sometimes only reading in a guitar catalog will trigger the built in alarm that all wives have.
That is actually the same function that makes sure that the wife at any given time will own at least 50 pair of shoes (used 1 or less times), 150 pairs of Jeans (brand name, often a size too small just in case...).

:D

(just kidding) Congrats Grungeiceman ! I hope that you will be happy with this girl :) :beer:

Katastrophe
February 11th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Dude, a little friendly advice from someone who's been there and done that. Please, take it for what it's worth.

Don't sell your gear.

It's cool that you're happy and in love. There is no greater feeling than finding someone that's right for you. Understand that once the gear is gone, it's going to be gone for good, and you probably won't be able to reacquire the quality equipment you once had if you get the bug to play again. Why? Because once you're married (and since you're talking rings, that's what I assume is happening here), different priorities in life arise. You and your mate will want to advance your careers, hopefully go to college, and upgrade whatever living situation you find yourselves in. The money supply is finite, which means that new/different gear won't be a priority when it comes to eating, paying the rent/utilities/car note/taxes, et cetera.

Does she play? Does she like the same music? Is she willing to learn how to play and share your love of music and guitars? If you answered "no" to these questions, then she will not understand, nor will she care, why a Twin Reverb sounds different from a Marshall stack.

I'm not even going to approach the whole getting married at 17 subject. I don't know you, and I'm not your parent. That's a decision best left to you, the girl, and both of your parents.

I wish the best of luck to you and the girl, and all the happiness in the world. I hope it works out for you.

Spudman
February 11th, 2008, 08:23 AM
17? Girl? Selling gear? This does not compute. :confused:

If you do sell everything and she changes her mind where will that leave you? Right...gearless and girlfriendless. Your equipment will never change it's mind. You'll also want a hobby for the days that you aren't deludedly on Cloud Nine.
I'll say it simply and bluntly. You are 17. Don't sell your gear. If it is for real then there will be a place in your life for guitar as well.

Robert
February 11th, 2008, 08:26 AM
You met a girl and there are twins already? Man, you move fast.... :beer:

Joking aside, congrats - but I'm with the other guys - have fun with the lady but keep some gear.

Bloozcat
February 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Time to warm up the van...
Get the crew together....
Strike with commando efficiency.
It's time for an intervention...a deprogramming.
Don't worry grungeiceman, we'll save you...:D

All kidding aside, I really hope that this is really "it" for you, grungeiceman. I'm sure you've heard from almost everyone about how stacked the odds are against you at so young an age. It is true, you know, but some do make it. I know that at 17 my then girlfriend and I wouldn't have made it. And we thought we were so in love too. But, the change in me over the next ten years, was like a metamorphosis. When I finally did marry at 30, I was truly ready - mentally, financially, spiritually, and in maturity.

Don't trade those things that you love, for another love. That's the really cool thing about love...it's boundless. There's more than room enough in life to love many things, and many people. Even though you probably need the money now, try to save at least a piece of your love for music.

Good luck, I do wish the best for you.

wingsdad
February 11th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Just guessin' here, but it looks like some of your stuff being twice your age or more must've been handed down to you from a relative. And you're that sure of this thing that you'd let that stuff go?

Not to :deadhorse: , but I shucked all my gear that I'd learned on & grew with when I went off to college and figured I was 'done' with guitar, life's goal at the time to marry my HS sweetheart and do a 'real' job for life.

I wasn't the same person without guitar in my life.

But you gotta do what ya gotta do, so good luck. :beer:

Danzego
February 11th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Did he mention that he's happy? :master:

Don't sell your gear. You have plenty of time to save up for the ring. You don't need to rush off and sell your gear to get her a ring. If she's truly yours, then she's yours and the ring will come in due time, not having to be alarmed that someone else may come along and grab her in the meantime (a metal band on one's finger isn't going to stop that).

Now, I may be being assumptuous here, but I'm also speaking from my experience (and many others I've known) and that's what I'm getting from reading between the proverbial lines.

Either way, don't sell your gear. Gear is forever, "true love" is fleeting (that's not to say it doesn't exist; hence, the quotes), and rings can be saved up for over time while finding out about "true love" and how true it really is. Especially at 17 years old. What's the hurry? :thwap:

sunvalleylaw
February 11th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Concur. Like I have said before, if she is right for you, she likes you for who you are. I would think that includes playing music. Do at least like Swede says and keep your favorite amph and guitar. Besides, with those items, you can make amazing gifts for her with your creativity that come from your heart. And, when things are hard, you can plug in and heal yourself. :)

17? Girl? Selling gear? This does not compute. :confused:

If you do sell everything and she changes her mind where will that leave you? Right...gearless and girlfriendless. Your equipment will never change it's mind. You'll also want a hobby for the days that you aren't deludedly on Cloud Nine.
I'll say it simply and bluntly. You are 17. Don't sell your gear. If it is for real then there will be a place in your life for guitar as well.

Jimi75
February 11th, 2008, 09:42 AM
There was one girl in my life who put me into the situation of making a decision like that. Did I write there WAS a girl?

That is sick form the beginning on if it starts with selling gear.

Tone2TheBone
February 11th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Are you serious?

Been there done that too but let me tell you this...just don't sell the Marshall 4x12 cabinet. Sell anything else but that. You'll regret that one...trust me. :AOK: Better yet get a part time job and use that money for a ring. That's what I should have done.

ted s
February 11th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Grunge, at 17, you don't want to hear "slow down" etc.. we know, but but..
You WILL regret selling off your gear.
Finish school with your head screwed on straight, everything else will work out.

aeolian
February 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM
You must not assume that love for your girlfriend cannot coexist with love for you guitar playing and music. Most people will find they need both, and even more.

Mr Grumpy
February 11th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Dont sell the gear. I sold all my gear when I first got married at 23 and came to bitterly regret it years later when I needed some me time, had no money and was surrounded by small children. One of the worst things I ever did - and the marriage didnt last!. 2nd wife more understanding and supportive of me taking it all up again aged 40.

Still got no money though, not for all the GAS I have. Oh well.

Dont sell!

just strum
February 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Time to warm up the van...
Get the crew together....
Strike with commando efficiency.
It's time for an intervention...a deprogramming.
Don't worry grungeiceman, we'll save you...:D

Good luck, I do wish the best for you.

Ditto on the whole post

SuperSwede
February 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Hear hear... and if you REALLY need a ring I´ll lend you my SuperSwede ring!

http://www.clicket.com/images/6609.jpg

Adrian30
February 11th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Thats very generous SS.:D

And grungeiceman, I'm here with the majority of the crowd. Selling your gear is easy...you can do that anytime. I have no doubt that your girlfriend is a wonderful person, but don't rush selling all your stuff.

sumitomo
February 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Wow the guys here have alot of good advice.I know because Im older and have done stuff,But I too hope for all the best to you and say You should keep your gear and make sure the ring stays on your finger and out of your nose.(no pun I speak from experence) Sumi

the1percent
February 11th, 2008, 12:39 PM
As a parent of 3 teenagers (19, 18, 17), I will not say anything about your age. I remember, even if it was years ago, that love is a great feeling. :)

That said, you should listen to all those on here that, at the sake of NOT getting to buy your gear, told you to not sell it. I came close two times to selling my 1980 Les Paul and would I have been sorrier?....no! Keep your gear and figure out another way even if it is to wait and get a cheap ring until you can "do it right". Trust me, you will regret it and it will just be ammo for you later in life when you are arguing about something. The last thing you need is resentment for selling your Corvette..err..gear. :) I wish you all the luck and good fortune in your relationship, but remember what you are hearing from seasoned veterans. I am hoping the situation is not because she wants you to sell it but because you maybe need the money for something else. Find another way. Don't sell your gear!

Plank_Spanker
February 11th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Oh, my.........................................

I have "been there, done that, bought the T shirt".

No offense to your motivation, but you will regret selling your gear sooner or later. If playing guitar is in your blood, the urge to play will never go away.

Do yourself a HUGE favor - DO NOT sell your gear.

t_ross33
February 11th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Oh, my.........................................

I have "been there, done that, bought the T shirt".

No offense to your motivation, but you will regret selling your gear sooner or later. If playing guitar is in your blood, the urge to play will never go away.

Do yourself a HUGE favor - DO NOT sell your gear.

:AOK: Good advice. I have the same T-shirt (we'll talk someday over a gallon of cheap whiskey and I'll tell ya all about Ol' Whatshername).

Good Luck, Grunge! :beer:

Spudman
February 11th, 2008, 05:37 PM
:AOK: Good advice. I have the same T-shirt (we'll talk someday over a gallon of cheap whiskey and I'll tell ya all about Ol' Whatshername).

Is this the same one that drove you nuts and how in the beginning you thought she was so prefect for you and life was great and then you found out she'd been treated for mental disorders? ;) I'll bring a jug too.

t_ross33
February 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Is this the same one that drove you nuts and how in the beginning you thought she was so prefect for you and life was great and then you found out she'd been treated for mental disorders?

That and the firearms conviction :rotflmao:

;) I'll bring a jug too.

Just make sure it's cheap stuff - ain't worth a single malt :beer:

Plank_Spanker
February 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM
It pains me to try to convey a little life experience to a younger lad without sounding like "Dad"......................................:thwap:

Never, ever sell your gear based on a girlfriend or wife. You don't have to give up things you love to prove your love. If your girlfriend insists on it, do yourself a favor and walk away - you're a project to be changed by her, not a true boyfriend.

It took me a while to figure this out, but be your own man and stick to it. In the long run, that is all you will ever have, and the women (notice plural) will be attracted to you as you - not some high school, peer pressured chick mafia science project. No offense, but you're not ready for the "Big Game" yet, and don't be in a hurry. She'll drop you like yesterday's news when the next "fad guy" comes along. Think about it....................are you willing to sell you gear for this?

As the very true verse goes:

"Above all, to thine own self be true".

I won't apologize if my post isn't PC. I'm 47 years old and PC be damned. This is one guitar player talking to another and I've walked in those shoes.

Don't be a fool.....................................

warren0728
February 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
really nothing more to add....and not to :deadhorse: but there is a lot of good advice in this thread....read the whole thing....

ww

Guitar Gal
February 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM
From a female's point of view, I have to agree with what has already been said. Don't sell all your gear....it's part of who you are. :rockon:

Besides, you will need a hobby or something to do in your "alone time" just for yourself.....no one can be with another person 24/7 :poke: ......you need that time away from each other to pursue your own interests. That way, when you are together, you don't run out of things to talk about :AOK:

My female .02

GG

t_ross33
February 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I won't apologize if my post isn't PC. I'm 47 years old and PC be damned. This is one guitar player talking to another and I've walked in those shoes.

Don't be a fool.....................................

Thank GAWD! Someone finally has the bawls to shoot straight from the hip. I wanted to, but didn't want to offend the sensitivities of my fellow Fretters since we are so quick to, quite righteously, pat ourselves on the back for our civility towards one another. Sometimes ya just got ta speak the truth as you see it.

Thanks Dad :poke:

;):D

grungeiceman
February 11th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I just want to say one thing before I start. This forum is a Family, no joke. I have gotten so much help from people who really care, and in my situation its hard to find those kind of people. And I apreciate ever word of advice. And read them all. But I have always been a person who takes things I love seriously, and this is something that means more then anything to me. And for the record Im not giving up guitar in any sense of the word. Im just making my playing affordable, Im keeping my strat and acoustic. Its the only constant Ive had in my life and theres no way I would give it up. but the rest I dont need, they are just things I had bought becuase at the time I had nothing else in my life. But Im selling more of the gear, and again im over whelmed with all the care, Im serious you people aremy only advice I havent talked to really anyone else but I know im sure. I love her more then life

grungeiceman
February 11th, 2008, 11:46 PM
And if she knew I was selling all this she would flip, She is the best person I have met ever. And Beautiful, amazingly. Shes the girl People spend there lives looking for.

Spudman
February 12th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I love her more then life

Oh boy. You know that in a few months or maybe a couple of years we are all going to say "I told you so."

You better look seriously at this thread and what you said above. If you put that much into someone else you are setting yourself up for a word of hurt. I'm pretty sure everyone of us who offered you opinions would say that we all felt this way and later realized that we were mistaken in some way. Always remember that there is a difference between love and hormones.

And finally,
Let me be the first to say "you are really going to regret getting rid of that S470."

grungeiceman
February 12th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Beleive me Ive read all the posts 3 times atleast, If you knew me in real life, you would know, Im not the type to go and do something I didnt have 100% confidence in. And you dont understand our relationship, (lol just realized how cliche' that sounds) but its true, shes been my best friend for a long time before we were dating, this is something Im more sure of then anything. Yeah Il miss the gear but they dont mean as much to me as this is it. And theres no going back for me.

oldguy
February 12th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Good luck, don't forget you said it first.........I guess.....:pancake: :pancake: :pancake:

OK....... I was the second person to respond to your post (after mudcat's 2 posts), and I said what I did as a reminder to you later. I don't want to be the "I told you so" jerk later, tho.......... so if you can't replace that gear later (which you can't, trust me)..... keep it. That Model 6 Charvel I'm so proud of... I had one just like it 20 yrs. ago. It was next to impossible to find another.
Keep what you have now. Money comes and goes, you'll get by. But don't sell off your gear. You'll regret it later. Honest, you will. More importantly, you deserve it. You really do. If you need money, find another way to get it.
And if she would flip if she knew you were selling all this....... then you shouldn't sell it. It's just that simple. Did you also notice no one's making offers and trying to get your gear from you on the cheap???
That's 'cause you need to hang onto it, and we know it, and we know for a reason......... as has been said..... been there, done that. :)

SuperSwede
February 12th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I'm 47 years old and PC be damned.

I know how you feel! Please consider checking out a nice MAC for ALL you computer needs! :master: :D

warren0728
February 12th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I love her more then life
uh ohhh...not trying to offend but you're only 17 years old....you haven't lived long enough to know if you love anything more than life....marriages at your age rarely last.....take a step back and think things through.....if you two really have this incredible love for each other (that's the important part that both of you are feeling the way you are) then the relationship should be able to handle a couple more years of waiting....yours (and her) perspective may change when you hit college....and if she really is the one she should be ok with you keeping your gear....

I won't apologize if my post isn't PC. I'm 47 years old and PC be damned.

I know how you feel! Please consider checking out a nice MAC for ALL you computer needs! :master: :D

amen brother... :beer:

duhvoodooman
February 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM
To Grungeiceman:

When that many good people all give you essentially identical advice, you should listen. You may think your situation is different. It's not. Smarten up & listen to the voice of experience. :poke:

To Spanky:

Geez, this thread was worth reading through, if only to enjoy your phrase "high school, peer pressured chick mafia science project." LOL!! :rotflmao:

luvmyshiner
February 12th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Well Grungeiceman, I'm kinda new here, and we don't really know each other. Also I'll admit that as a Family Lawyer, I normally advise people to get married early and often.:D

Having said that, I was also young once (be quiet Strum,:deadhorse: ). I remember being 18 once, being in love, and hearing the exact same advice that all your good friends on the forum are giving you now. I didn't listen. Fifteen years of child support and two failed marriages later I finally met the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that it's great to be in love. Enjoy your relationship and enjoy spending time with your young lady. But take your time and allow things to grow naturally. There's absolutely no reason to jump into a marriage when you have your entire life ahead of you. That doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy your time with her. Hell, she might even agree.

Just my two cents. If you'll excuse me now I'll go back to being the village idiot.

warren0728
February 12th, 2008, 11:08 AM
as a Family Lawyer, I normally advise people to get married early and often.
now that's funny.....i don't care who you are.... :rotflmao: and that's coming from someone who recently went through a divorce....

ww :greenguitar:

Bloozcat
February 12th, 2008, 11:15 AM
"not some high school, peer pressured chick mafia science project"

Now that's a real classic...
:rotflmao:

This isn't an "I'm older, and I'm telling you how it is". It's more of a recollection of how it was then, and how dramatically things change in just a few short years...

We've all been there. 17 years old. Almost feeling like an adult. Sure of yourself one minute, riddled with doubt the next. Ready to take on the world, but not knowing enough to even know what you don't know. Some of us had a girlfriend then who we too thought was "the one". In love, and you couldn't imagine anything better than that.

Funny, when you get older, you can look back 5 or 10 years and it seems like nothing. You don't think much differently now than you did then. You probably were in a similar situation or place in life as you are now with few changes.

But at 17, you're not even an adult yet. You can't vote, you can't buy a house, you can't even get a beer. The military won't even take you without a note from your parents. You go back 5 years and you're 12...10 years and you're 7. Your perspective is severely limited. It's a fact of life.

If your girlfriend is as wonderful as you say she is, grungeiceman (and I have no reason to doubt your word), then you and she are going to have to pull together like you won't believe. Life is going to throw more crap at you than you can imagine right now. And only a really tight, strong relationship will survive it. You're both going to be struggling to learn and grow personally, trying to establish yourselves as adults. You'll have to work twice as hard to not grow apart from each other during this process. It's tough enough when two people already have established lives when they start out together. It's a lot harder when the two are trying to manage both at the same time.

I'm not going to tell you what to do grungeiceman. Adults have to make their own decisions for themselves...and what you're planning is definitely an adult decision. Just think long and hard about it. Realize that this is for real. Eyes wide open, fully committed or nothing. It's not what you know, but what you don't know that will get you. And that's far more than what you know right now.

BTW: After having been together for three years in high school and a just beyond, breaking up with that girlfriend I had at 17 turned out to be a Godsend for me. You couldn't have told me that at the time it was all happening. But in my case, I was spared from finding out the hard way, just how much I didn't know, that I thought I did...:)

Danzego
February 12th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Keep what you have now. Money comes and goes, you'll get by. But don't sell off your gear. You'll regret it later. Honest, you will. More importantly, you deserve it. You really do. If you need money, find another way to get it.

Yup, I like it. Listen to oldguy. It reminds me of the other night when I was listlessly watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on TV a couple night ago. Charlie was all ready to sell the Golden Ticket to get money for his poor family and his grandfather tells him "No....don't sell the ticket. There's only five of those in the entire world. You're going to get rid of that for something as common as money?"

The point is, you can make money. Easily. At 17 years old, there are plenty of crappy jobs out there that anyone can get so you can make money to do whatever it is you want to do (which, correct me if I'm wrong, is to use the money to get a ring, right?). The gear, on the other hand, will be harder to replace when you want it again.....and yes, for a lot of what you're selling, you WILL want it again. A whole lot more expensive, too.

Get a job (if you don't have one) and save up for that ring.

ALSO, you said that your chick would flip over you selling your gear. Seems to me that even SHE knows that it's unnecessary to sell your gear to get whatever it is you're trying to make quick cash for and wouldn't approve of it. It might even make her feel BAD that you did it....and that's not something that you can just reverse.

Think about that for a while.

ted s
February 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Grunge.. We have ALL been there.. and we all know how hard it can be to accept the kind of advise that we are giving when you have these feelings that you are experiencing. You don't want to hear it, because you think it is the only thing you will ever want..we know.. Your only 17 dude, do you have a drivers license yet, you can't vote yet, can't buy booze and maybe not even smokes. I mean no disrespect, it's hard to convey that in an internet forum.
By all means, be together, have fun, learn together.. whatever, but man, don't be too eager to be talking marriage, you're crazy in love/lust right now, but that aint going to cut it when your living in someones basement because you couldn't carry through your education and you're flipping burgers.
Be cool, slow down, think about the future, yours and hers, together or apart.. but let it take a natural course, in the future.

AND LAST OF ALL.. KEEP ALL YOUR GEAR, NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH !

Unless you have more than Spudman.

snoglobe
February 12th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I for one think you should sell the stuff.

This way, in 10 years you'll at least be able to participate in all the "What gear did you have and regret selling" posts.

Remember, every silver lining has a cloud.

Kazz
February 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM
DO NOT SELL THE GEAR....get rid of the girl.

player
February 12th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Grunge.. We have ALL been there.. and we all know how hard it can be to accept the kind of advise that we are giving when you have these feelings that you are experiencing. You don't want to hear it, because you think it is the only thing you will ever want..we know.. Your only 17 dude, do you have a drivers license yet, you can't vote yet, can't buy booze and maybe not even smokes. I mean no disrespect, it's hard to convey that in an internet forum.
By all means, be together, have fun, learn together.. whatever, but man, don't be too eager to be talking marriage, you're crazy in love/lust right now, but that aint going to cut it when your living in someones basement because you couldn't carry through your education and you're flipping burgers.
Be cool, slow down, think about the future, yours and hers, together or apart.. but let it take a natural course, in the future.

AND LAST OF ALL.. KEEP ALL YOUR GEAR, NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH !

Unless you have more than Spudman.

"not some high school, peer pressured chick mafia science project"

Now that's a real classic...
:rotflmao:

This isn't an "I'm older, and I'm telling you how it is". It's more of a recollection of how it was then, and how dramatically things change in just a few short years...

We've all been there. 17 years old. Almost feeling like an adult. Sure of yourself one minute, riddled with doubt the next. Ready to take on the world, but not knowing enough to even know what you don't know. Some of us had a girlfriend then who we too thought was "the one". In love, and you couldn't imagine anything better than that.

Funny, when you get older, you can look back 5 or 10 years and it seems like nothing. You don't think much differently now than you did then. You probably were in a similar situation or place in life as you are now with few changes.

But at 17, you're not even an adult yet. You can't vote, you can't buy a house, you can't even get a beer. The military won't even take you without a note from your parents. You go back 5 years and you're 12...10 years and you're 7. Your perspective is severely limited. It's a fact of life.

If your girlfriend is as wonderful as you say she is, grungeiceman (and I have no reason to doubt your word), then you and she are going to have to pull together like you won't believe. Life is going to throw more crap at you than you can imagine right now. And only a really tight, strong relationship will survive it. You're both going to be struggling to learn and grow personally, trying to establish yourselves as adults. You'll have to work twice as hard to not grow apart from each other during this process. It's tough enough when two people already have established lives when they start out together. It's a lot harder when the two are trying to manage both at the same time.

I'm not going to tell you what to do grungeiceman. Adults have to make their own decisions for themselves...and what you're planning is definitely an adult decision. Just think long and hard about it. Realize that this is for real. Eyes wide open, fully committed or nothing. It's not what you know, but what you don't know that will get you. And that's far more than what you know right now.

BTW: After having been together for three years in high school and a just beyond, breaking up with that girlfriend I had at 17 turned out to be a Godsend for me. You couldn't have told me that at the time it was all happening. But in my case, I was spared from finding out the hard way, just how much I didn't know, that I thought I did...:)
This is great because it speaks volumes of truths.my own gear except for guitars was stolen when the van that carried it was too.some good amps
and other things,one of a kind pedal board custom made,a white Marshall half stack,PA sys,etc.thank goodness I decided to keep my guitars with me.
That all said this happened not long after the woman I really cared for passsed away.what did I do? besides mourn deeply,once the tear well was dry it was like the Who tune ' I picked up my guitar and played'.there are simply things in life that can or will happen you are not and will not be prepared for no matter what your age.M'lady passed when I was 38..
there are days I still go there(think about her) and of course it saddens me but
I pick up my guitar and play then it seems it chases any blues I had away.
I manage on a day to day thought or thoughts of what can I get into today.
everything said is simply or better put women(plural) will come and go(hoping yours will not) but Gear is forever unless mishaps take place like my own did.
and Please no one feel bad for me.I manage.our young friend here does need direction and wisdom,all of which thus far I've seen is excellent.
my first girlfriend knew up front my music came first and she went along with that.in short if the Love is true she will be there for and with you in any event,if not you will find that out fast too.Keep Your Gear
as stated it will be harder to get if and when you want it again and without a doubt you will

Childbride
February 12th, 2008, 09:32 PM
please, please, please...

do not sell your gear.

someone told me when i was entering my first marriage...

'the biggest mistake you can make is to let go of yourself and to let him take over your personality'

i 'listened' but i didn't 'LISTEN'.

if she loves you, and i have absolutely no doubt that she does, she will accept you for Who You Are. Package deal. hook line and sinker.

and that includes your love for everything guitar.

if she wants to change you, then you already have a problem.

you can only make a marriage work if you love the one you are with exactly the way you are. you cannot ever enter a relationship thinking that if you change the individual, or change Who You Are to meet their expectations, that it will ever work.

i have seen marriages work as young as yours, and may Everything Be Beautiful.

but you can't ever, Ever sell yourself short.

Life is Too Short.

good luck to you, and may your relationship be Blessed.

k

player
February 12th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Pretty much the point I wanted to make CB.maybe I should not have had to explain the details though. Thank You Dear :)

grungeiceman
February 12th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I sold my Iceman, and a smaller practice amp and with a paycheck I bought the ring. And asked today, Im sorry everyone. But it was a yes. Its not the best one in the store but I like it. And I didnt explain the situation very well I suppose. She recently had a bad incident with her parents, that she definatly wasnt to blame for, It was a bad situation. And now is probly being sent to a place called Job core. Its a good place, for people to redeme themselves but shes been a amazing student ehr whole life and shouldnt have to have opprotunities taken away. And Im not going into details but My situation isnt very good either. So Im moving out. And will be 18 soon. And her parnets will sign for my parnets to be the legal gardians, and then were moving out. So the money is for a few things, but I am selling them all. I can explain more later

grungeiceman
February 12th, 2008, 11:57 PM
and when we move together she can stay in school and we can be together, and be engaged for awhile until were ready, Thank you everyone

grungeiceman
February 13th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Sorry If it seems I didnt listen, I did. And it has helped tremendously. And has shaped the decision.

player
February 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I sold my Iceman, and a smaller practice amp and with a paycheck I bought the ring. And asked today, Im sorry everyone. But it was a yes. Its not the best one in the store but I like it. And I didnt explain the situation very well I suppose. She recently had a bad incident with her parents, that she definatly wasnt to blame for, It was a bad situation. And now is probly being sent to a place called Job core. Its a good place, for people to redeme themselves but shes been a amazing student her whole life and shouldnt have to have opprotunities taken away. And Im not going into details but My situation isnt very good either. So Im moving out. And will be 18 soon. And her parnets will sign for my parnets to be the legal gardians, and then were moving out. So the money is for a few things, but I am selling them all. I can explain more later
all I can say is I see some handwriting on the wall and do not like what it says.Please do keep us informed grunge.we'll help if we can

FLHX
February 13th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Grunge, can you at least tell us your plans. Are you still in high school? Are you both planning on going to college? In todays world, if you don't have that piece of paper that says you have a degree your options are pretty much limited on how you are going to make a living.

When I got married 15 years ago my wife wanted me to sell my Harley to help pay the bills. My answer was the bike was here before you. I did not mean it in a disrespectfull way but she knew I loved to ride. So we made adjustments in other ways and it worked out fine. I knew if I sold it I would not get another one because then the kids came. Once kids come your not buying anything except diapers and formula.

Think before you Leap!!!!!!

SuperSwede
February 13th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Sorry If it seems I didnt listen, I did. And it has helped tremendously. And has shaped the decision.

I might not understand your decision, but it is YOUR decision...

We do not have all the background info that you have, and the fact that you against all odds want to invest your precious gear into your mutual future must be an act of love, no doubt about that.

I still would like to recommend that you make sure that you and this fine young lady finishes your studies, no matter what... Its no fun frying burgers at the age of 40.

Also, dont forget that all your fretnet buddies are here to help out if you should need our help! We are your friendly fretters from all kinds of backgrounds and occupations.

.... and if you need a lawyer we got plenty of those too ;)

Plank_Spanker
February 13th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Thank GAWD! Someone finally has the bawls to shoot straight from the hip. I wanted to, but didn't want to offend the sensitivities of my fellow Fretters since we are so quick to, quite righteously, pat ourselves on the back for our civility towards one another. Sometimes ya just got ta speak the truth as you see it.

Thanks Dad :poke:

;):D

I'm a little embarassed. I certainly am not seeking to offend anyone, but I went through the same thing when I was a young lad, and I regret it. I sold some sweet gear that I would give my eye teeth to have right now. My feelings are strong on this.

Grunge,

If I offended you in any way, I offer my apology. My post was straight from the heart, man, and not meant to jab in any way.

Do what you think is right...................that's all any of us could do.

Katastrophe
February 13th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Grunge, check your PM box.

oldguy
February 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I'm a little embarassed. I certainly am not seeking to offend anyone, but I went through the same thing when I was a young lad, and I regret it. I sold some sweet gear that I would give my eye teeth to have right now. My feelings are strong on this.
Grunge,
If I offended you in any way, I offer my apology. My post was straight from the heart, man, and not meant to jab in any way.
Do what you think is right...................that's all any of us could do.

Plank, you called it as you saw it..... you weren't trying to do anything but help.
So was I, we all were........ ARE.
I meant no offense by what I said either, Grungeiceman, sorry if you took it wrong, I really am.
As Plank said, we each have to do what we believe is right in our hearts.
I sure hope your lady and you both finish your schooling, and set your goals high, you need the skill set for a good paying job down the road.
Best of luck to you!:)

Axis
February 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Grunge,

I read your original post to the end, and as everything is said and done at this point, I sugest you continue your education, for you, your girlfriend, and your potential future family.

Don't think it may be out of your economic reach, if a 4 year college ed. is
out of the question, their is community college or a technical school to consider.

Believe me, their are guaranteed student loans, and grants that are available to you, just go see the admissions counselor at the college of your choice.

I'll admit to you that your situation reads like a greek tradgedy, but you can, given your many options turn your life into a heroic novel.

Be the HERO, be the MAN!

Childbride
February 13th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Pretty much the point I wanted to make CB.maybe I should not have had to explain the details though. Thank You Dear :)

:) you're welcome. :)

grungeiceman
February 13th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I know no one meant to offend and that thought never entered my mind, in the least. There wasnt one this that was said from the information that i Had given that I didnt agree with 100%. But we arent going to actually get married for quite some time. And we both plan on staying in school and both of us are doing very well here.

player
February 14th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Tis Good GRunge,glad to hear that.for all we know you are(we hope) more mature and wiser than your age lets on.do keep us informed if you would.in fact it sounds like you have things thought out.Best of LuckWell Wishes an all that jazz

grungeiceman
February 15th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Well, heres an update, I have spoken to my "parental unit" and I wrote her a 8 page letter and trying to convince her to let my girlfriend live with us so I wont need to move out as soon, the decision comes tonight, all of the parents meet and talk, tonight decides alot of things and its pretty stressful. And I got into a car accident today, lol. So things have started out pretty stressfully, and I also have found a buyer for the twin, and hes gogin to check it out on saturday.

Spudman
February 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I see a Shakespear play ahappenin'. Quick Mikey, get out the banjos.

grungeiceman
February 29th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Ok, Im only doing this out of boredom and I have no guitars where i am so, ahh heres a update i suppose. Well nothing worked out how it was supposed to, now we (me and my girlfriend) are waiting for my "parental unit" to either sign for her to be her legal gaurdian, or her to say no, in which case she will most likly be sent away to Kentucky, or to Job corps. But the decision is being dragged out as long as possible, and no progress is being made, things arent going well, ohh someone stole my acoustic to : ( but I did get a new higher paying job recently but other then that its all pretty blah. But things arent looking good anymore, but there is still hope the anwser will be a yes, in which things could turn around and start looking pretty good but chances arent very good I suppose, so Im not sure what is going to happen, Ive been working hard trying to get this to work out but I feel like no one else is willing to help me. So if this does go astray, Im calling you for the fake ID spud lol

Simon
March 1st, 2008, 02:48 AM
I've just read this entire thread for the first time, and find myself a little speechless...
The first half of "please don't sell your gear!" replies was kinda funny and I could only nod in agreement and be impressed with the amount of good will and concern displayed by everyone here.
And I liked the answer 'don't worry, I not giving up guitar and am keeping the important pieces'!!

Thanks for the update Grunge, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you...
The clouds WILL part again, and the sun is shining above them. :beer:

oldguy
March 1st, 2008, 03:10 AM
Sorry things haven't worked out like you thought they would, Grungeiceman.
Keep us posted, we'll be pulling for you and hoping for the best for you.
Glad you found a better paying job, though.

JJ Gross
March 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Also late to the show, but here goes. Just another opinion, actually 4 of them. Here we go ::

1. If it's really meant to be, her going away to a Job Camp isn't going to make any difference. You're talking about spending decades with her, what's the miniscule time apart going to mean if this really is 'it'? Nothing. Being apart is tough, but if your relationship is worth 1/10 what you feel it is, the annoyance of separation is easily worth it. A lifetime together starts every day you know her, and the time apart doesn't count for anything once you're back together. What's the urgency all about if it's not just the urgency of inexperience and youth? You're talking about her going to Kentucky from SNoDak - not joining an Arabian harem or being sold to slave traders in Thailand. She'll be back if you mean anything to her at all. If she doesn't come back to you it won't be because of anyone's parents. Anything that pulls her from you would happen no matter what influences surround you both. It would only take a different form. Tough news, but that's life and that really is the way it goes.

2. You're pretty young to be planning the next 75 years of your life with a do-or-die kind of outlook on this. Try to keep an open mind not only about the opinions and advice of old farts like us, but about the possibility of change that's out of your control. Until you have more than a plan about more than who you'll spend time with but how you'll be supporting yourselves for the next 60 years (seriously) feeling like 'this is it' and 'nothing else matters' almost guarantees failure down the road. Ever hear the 38 Special song 'Hold on Loosely'? If not, download the lyrics. It applies to your situation like it was written for you when in reality, it was written for all of us and it's not just about relationships.

3. You're sure about yourself and what's ahead and she may have said the same, but there's absolutely no way you can be 100% sure that she really truly will never change her mind, or that you won't as well. 17 years old feels the same as 27 from the 17 side of the picture, but the next few years (really just the next 5 or so) your life will change in ways that everyone can tell you about but from your perspective you can't even really comprehend the scope of them. I won't bother with all of it, but just from a chemical standpoint and the progression of both you and your girl's human biologies, 17 and 27 are about a thousand miles apart.

4. From looking at your gear and not going into the whole "keep everything" ideology, I'd say ditch all the cheaper stuff and keep the good/expensive stuff if you just want cash. If it were my stuff, I'd unload everything except the bass, both Fenders and the Silvertone lap steel, plus I'd keep the Twin. Everything else on the list is replaceable and isn't likely to shoot up in value to the point that you'll never find one you can pick up without selling an internal organ. You might pay more later for some of it and I'm no fortune teller, but I seriously doubt most of the other stuff will ever be worth a down payment on a home. Even the things I've mentioned won't likely do that, but they're the most likely of the pile to actually appreciate to the point that it'll be valued as something to pass to your children as well as something of a nest-egg at some point. Unloading stuff at 17 isn't always a bad thing. You may find the need to travel lighter than you expect at some point soon, and selling things for market price is always better than leaving things behind in an apartment you're abandoning that you just can't take with you because it doesn't fit in the baggage compartment of the train and you have to go NOW. Trust me on this one - that really sucks in a MAJOR way.

My 2 cents and all that. Refunds at the door with proof of purchase. ;D

Cheers,
- JJ