PDA

View Full Version : I guess I get to post here now, too!

Katastrophe
February 11th, 2008, 06:01 AM
It looks like I'm the main bass player now for my country band. With 3 guitarists, somebody's gotta do it!

I am a bass hack. I played on a Jackson 5 string that played beautifully, but the extra low B string threw me off. I was hitting the wrong notes all over the place. I just told everybody that I was doing free jazz.:D

"Walking" bass lines are giving me fits as well. Apparently, there are all kinds of passing notes that are used that don't fit well with traditional scale patterns.

I'm learning, and it's gonna be a fun adventure!

Spudman
February 11th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Let the bass player jokes begin.:D

Seriously, I'm a bit envious. I've secretly wished that would happen to me at times. I think the bassists role is pretty important and can really underscore the whole success of a song. Best of luck Thumper.

duhvoodooman
February 11th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Let the bass player jokes begin. :D

....Best of luck Thumper.
OK, here's my favorite:

Q: What did the bass player get on his SAT's?
A: Drool.

Thumper? Yeah, I like that! :AOK:

Seriously, good luck with it, Kat! :rockon:

oldguy
February 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Q. How do you keep a bass player busy for an hour?
A. Twist one of his tuning keys. :rotflmao:

Kat, that's a good thing, IMO. I've always thought the guitar player might miss a note now and then and go un-noticed. But the bass player, holding the bottom end down, has to be in time and can't leave a "hole" where it doesn't belong. I bet you'll do great, you may need to get used to it a bit is all.:)

Brian Krashpad
February 11th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Bass is fun!

And I honestly think it helps with your playing guitar, particularly rhythm and phrasing, as well.

aeolian
February 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Bass is fun. And a good bassline will greatly enhance a song. I wish I play better. Actually I really just need to devote more time to it and I should get better.

t_ross33
February 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Bass is fun!

And I honestly think it helps with your playing guitar, particularly rhythm and phrasing, as well.

+1. I consider myself a pretty good rhythm player and owe it all to starting as a bassist :beer: And we ARE musicians, don't let any of these egotistical lead guitar wankin' manicacs tell you any different. Bassists are people too!

Drummers, well, that's another story :rotflmao:

Katastrophe
February 11th, 2008, 08:44 PM
It's all good. I'll still be playing guitar on a couple of songs - I've got electric/solo duty on "Neon Moon," and was told that I could play lead on other songs if I wished.

Right now, though, it's pretty cool to hit that low E note and feel the whole room vibrate. It's also cool to be able to move the bass line underneath the chords and accent notes other than the root.

I don't have money to purchase a bass right now, so it looks like I'll be borrowing someone's bass for the time being. I played on an old, Carvin pawn shop special that was a little banged up, but was a lot of fun recently. I hope I get to borrow it.:AOK:

"Thumper?" That's pretty cool!:D

pie_man_25
February 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Q: what do you do when you run over a pop/punk bassist?
a: back up and make sure!

anyways, just keep workin' hard on improving, and don't forget the metronome, and you'll be fine!