PDA

View Full Version : Overrated Musicians

Jimi75
February 11th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Okay, let us play with open cards here. I have witnessed and self experienced the following situation some couple of times:

"What?!?! you think the Beatles are overrated? They were great, get yourself some new pair of ears!" Most people who verbally attack other's musical opinions are the ones who have never listened to the entire catalogue of for e.g. The Beatles or The Rolling Stones.

I have my issues giving the share to the follwoing bands/musicians, as I think they have been hyped in a way:

1. The Beatles - The achetype of the Boyband. They were revolutionary for their time, good musicians, nice songwriting, super results out of a 4-track machine. BUT, I have my problems acknowledging all they did. I think some stuff was pretty lame, some songs were "Bonbon Candy" songs with horrible lyrics and George Harrison was not that great guitar player that everybody sees in him.

2. Eric Clapton - Clapton appealed to me much with his Robert Johnson stuff, although he sounds very polished. He repeats most of his licks and never really developped. Of course he revolutionized and godfathered the whole unplugged concerts, but he's still so and so in my eyes.

3. Prince - Tough one. I see that he has above-average talent, but he is not the great guitarist everyone sees in him. Not worth an interview in Guitar World. His technique is so and so and his singing is unbearable to me when he sings a whole song with his head voice. God beware!

4. BB King - "BB can destroy every player with one note"! Have you heard that before? I think so. BB is a wonderful singer to me, but his guitar repertoire is to small for me to call him a great player. Sure you recognize him, but is he really that good? I saw him talking once about how Jazz chords influenced him and how he integrates then into his playing. Does he really do so? I have never heard that.

I write all this with respect to the a.m. musicians. It is my personal opinion and you might be of a completely different opinion on what I wrote, but I started this thread to get to know which players are overrated in your eyes and why so.

:beer:
Jimi

duhvoodooman
February 11th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I don't know, man--do we really want to do this? This is one of those topics that may be interesting, but seems prone to generating hard feelings. I know we're an uncommonly civilized group here, by internet standards, but this seems like tempting the fates! Think I'll sit this one out....:munch:

ted s
February 11th, 2008, 09:46 AM
What if the question is spun, who are the under-rated and why ? Might be safer ?

Jimi75
February 11th, 2008, 09:52 AM
What if the question is spun, who are the under-rated and why ? Might be safer ?

Okay I understand. Don't want to evoke hard feelings or mixed emotions. If this one is too hard then maybe ted s can post his idea. There is definitely also some couple names on that list.

Thanks for reminding me - party on'
Jimi

ted s
February 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Take it away Jimi.. she's yours.

Spudman
February 11th, 2008, 10:04 AM
This is another subjectivity issue in which much will not prove to be beneficial to discuss because it simply relies too much on personal preference and taste.

oldguy
February 11th, 2008, 10:44 AM
As everyone feels the same about it, I respectfully edit my post.:beer:

Adrian30
February 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I believe we already had two similar threads (overrated and underrated guitarists).
And +1 on DVM and Spuds take on this, though we can always politely disagree.

Plank_Spanker
February 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Very subjective........................one man's over rated player is another's hero.

Robert
February 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM
All I want to add here is ... Robert Renman is way over-rated! :D

Plank_Spanker
February 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM

LOL!! :beer:

Spudman
February 11th, 2008, 03:49 PM

That may be so and I can agree on this with you. However, he does have a fabulous delay pedal. :master:

Robert
February 11th, 2008, 03:52 PM
That's what I've been saying - as long as you can flash cool looking and cool sounding gear - who cares if you can play! ;)

If I can't look good myself, at least I can have gear that looks good.
:rolleyes:

(disclaimer: if you don't know me, take the above with a pinch of salt.)

Adrian30
February 11th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Nice avatar, Robert. Is the lettering custom-made or stock?:D

Robert
February 11th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I got that lettering factory-made for me, due to my incredible online (over-rated) fame status.

oldguy
February 11th, 2008, 04:40 PM

I disagree..... some of his earlier "snake-vein" playing was great!!Also, I do think some of his upcoming stuff may "echo" his old playing, btw.:rotflmao:

Robert
February 11th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Oh man, next time I go traveling, "Snakes On A Plane" will have a new meaning.

duhvoodooman
February 12th, 2008, 09:43 AM
That's what I've been saying - as long as you can flash cool looking and cool sounding gear - who cares if you can play! ;)

If I can't look good myself, at least I can have gear that looks good.
Remember what Fernando said! It's not how you sound, it's how you look. And Robert....you look MAHVELOUS!!

(Except the creepy veins, of course....)

Justaguyin_nc
February 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I think this whole post is in vein!

burrrr... creeeeepy....

just strum
February 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I don't understand the reluctance to state ones opinion. The fact that Jimi thinks the Beatles, Clapton...are overrated, that is purely his opinion, what exactly is there to fight about? In my mind I don't agree about 3 out of 4, but that's my opinion.

So, I'm in.

I think the Doors are overrated: Basically the same sound on every song and only remembered because of Morrison's obnoxious behavior.

Jimi asked *who you thought is overrated*, he didn't ask you to prove him wrong.

Just MHO

Edit: Add Kiss to that. Reason: just look at them and listen to them.

bigoldron
February 12th, 2008, 08:31 PM
OK, I'll play along, I think the Rolling Stones are over-rated. I never have been a big fan, but when they let Keith Richards do the induction of ZZ Top into the Music Hall of Fame, that was the capper for me. I'm a big Southern Rock fan and a huge ZZ fan. Keith's drunken/drugged stupor that night was not only embarassing for him, but he really the ZZ Boys wrong. I think they deserve better than they got. If you don't remember, Kid Rock gushed on and on about how great Bob Seger is and what an influence his was/is (and rightly so!), then all Richards can do is (barely) stand there and mumble something "he's got the blues, man." :spank:

Sorry about the rant, but I've been wanting to get that off my chest for a couple of years now.

Maybe I'm also showing my age, but pretty much most of the heavy metal music is over-rated to me. How much dropped whatever/screaming/gut rumbling can you take? I'm not talking about Black Sabbath. I'm talking about the stuff that permeates all the guitar mags. Like I said, I'm an old fart and just don't enjoy it that much. Give me some Derringer, Trower, early Doobies (pre-McDonald), Skynyrd, ZZ Top, or other classic or Southern rockers any day. You know, back when you actually PLAYED your ax!!!???

OK, I'm now prepared for the flames... :whatever: :thwap:

oldguy
February 12th, 2008, 08:52 PM
No flames here, dude.
It just seems threads like these can too often end up causing hard feelings sooner or later.

I used to think Slim Whitman was over-rated, till he blew those Martians heads up........ then I saw he had his place in the scheme of things too.

Tone2TheBone
February 12th, 2008, 11:50 PM
.....Add Kiss to that. Reason: just look at them and listen to them.

Yeah?... but check it out man, Gene was the only dude in his neighborhood that had Marshall stacks. +1 for Gene.

pes_laul
February 13th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Even Know they are one of my favorite bands (even though their not a band) was nirvana. The reason I say this is because everybody thought kurt was a really good guitar player. while I didnt think he was that good I thought he was a great songwriter and singer.

pie_man_25
February 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM
where to start....
let's see the beatles, just never appealed to me, dragonforce, too much solos,
and faber drive, no explanation needed.

pie_man_25
February 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM
OK, I'm now prepared for the flames... :whatever: :thwap:
that's cool man, your opinion is your own, I wouldn't change that, I listen to some of the newer stuff, but can't take too much of it either, and then go listening to rush or zep, unfortunately I have no ZZ, but I do love them, I know a lot of guys into this music (the metal), and play in a band that plays that music, and it's really a lot more complex than ZZ, because its usually in an odd time signature, anyways, I may be ranting also, but what I'm saying is, look at the sheet music, and then say we're not actually playing.

Adrian30
February 13th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Ok here's my choice: 1483The Naked Cowboy. You may have seen him in Times Square...even my wife has a picture taken with him.:thwap:

Tonight he's making news...

oldguy
February 13th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Dude, which one's your wife????

:D :D :D

Adrian30
February 13th, 2008, 11:04 PM
None pictured above. I "borrowed" this shot from a news website.
I'll see if I can find and post that pic.

just strum
February 14th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I don't have a guitar like that, but our bodies are the same.

Sean
February 20th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Tony Ioimi. For real WOW! he knew power chords.
KISS also:whatever: