PDA

View Full Version : To Pod or not to Pod?

ZoSo65
March 27th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Well as most of you know, I've been looking into "modeling".
Been looking at the PODxt and Vox Tonelab.

Any of you guys used them?
Any other recommendations?

Spudman
March 27th, 2006, 06:53 PM
If I were you I'd stay away from modeling. You have to get up before sunrise, hang out on cold locations waiting for the "proper" lighting, and your you-know-whats become the size of BB's. Not a glamorous way to make a living.

I suggest the POD. I have the VAmp and yes it is very good, but the PodXT has a few more features. Now the big choice...if you get the VAmp Pro rack mount unit the sky is the limit and you should be able to get one for less than $170 delivered.

Hmmm, choices. Take your favorite headphones to a music store and try them both if you can. Swede uses a Korg unit that sounds pretty good too.

Nelskie
March 27th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I use the POD XT myself, and like it a lot. Loads of great tones, and very versatile. For live use, I run it through a Tech 21 Power Engine, with fantastic results. It has a number of outputs, including a USB for direct-in recording with a computer; and, balanced L/R outputs, so you can run it direct into a DAW (digital audio workstation), or into a sound board. I think the POD XT runs around $300. IMHO, well worth the money.

SuperSwede
March 28th, 2006, 08:10 AM
The Korg is no more, I got a tonelab now and I love it :)

I had a really hard time to decide between the tonelab and the pod xt. Both sound outstanding, but I thought that the tonelab sounded a little more "natural". The XT would be your choice if you want to lug it around, the vox is really much bigger (and made of heavy metal :R )

ZoSo65
March 28th, 2006, 04:19 PM
How are the DigiTech or Boss pedals?

Spudman
March 28th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Stick with the POD. I've got a Digitech RP2000 and while it can do a lot of different things none of them are as convincing as the amps sounds that you'll get from a POD.

SuperSwede
March 29th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Digitech & Boss sound a little too "digital" for my taste imho.