PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the land of trees

hazcat
February 11th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Hello, all. Just found this forum a while ago from seeing Robert's videos on YouTube, and it seems like a very good place to hang out. I'm from Eugene, Oregon; had considered a username in keeping with Spudman's method...but that doesn't work so well when you're from the Beaver State.

I've been playing since college, about (mumble) years ago. Back then, I wanted to sound like Son House AND Steve Jones. Never really worked that out and ended up playing mainly acoustic (off and on) for years. Recently, though, I've hooked up with an existing band and have been trying to dust off what remains of my rock 'n roll skills. Since I sold my old Twin (kicks himself) and most of my other gear about 20 years ago, I picked up an AD50VT awhile back and have had tons of fun with it. Lots of good advice on that right here in the forum (and on Robert's videos).

Currently playing my old Tokai Strat copy, a Regal Tri-Cone, a Breedlove acoustic, an old Harmony archtop (man, they don't make plywood like that anymore...but it's good for bottleneck) and a supercheap -- but really playable and nicely set up - Hohner electric H-S-H affair. Picked it up at the local buy 'n sell because I couldn't believe how nicely it played for the money. I also just dug out the Frankentele project I started working on 15 years ago and hope to get it back together soon. Drooling over Reverends online; may have to take a trip up the road to the nearest dealer.

Life-changing moments: discovering the first Rolling Stones album in my parents' record cabinet, 1978; Buddy Guy at 10 feet, 1986.

Hope to be around a while and hope I can contribute some. Thanks--

Jeff

Robert
February 11th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Welcome Jeff! Good amp you got! What in the world made you buy that one... ;)

Eugene, eh? Then you must be a runner! Got any good track and field history behind you?

marnold
February 11th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Back atcha from the land of cheese!

warren0728
February 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
welcome hazcat....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Tone2TheBone
February 11th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Welcome Jeff. :)

oldguy
February 11th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Hi, Jeff, welcome to The.Fret. Glad you joined us here.:D
Always heard great things about those Tokai Strat copy..... as in they are as good as the real thing.....sometimes better.:AOK:

Spudman
February 11th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Hello, all. Just found this forum a while ago from seeing Robert's videos on YouTube, and it seems like a very good place to hang out. I'm from Eugene, Oregon; had considered a username in keeping with Spudman's method...but that doesn't work so well when you're from the Beaver State.

That's right Jeff because we are ALL beavermen.:rotflmao:

Welcome to thefret.

tunghaichuan
February 11th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Welcome to the fret. Glad to have you here.

I used to own two Tokai strat copies that were the equal of any Fender strat I've played. I still regret getting rid of them. I A/B'd my Tokai '54 strat copy against a real '54 fender strat, my Tokai held its own :D

tung

ted s
February 11th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Welcome to theFret Jeff !
Enjoyed your intro. story.:AOK:

just strum
February 11th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Welcome, you are going to like it here.

Algonquin
February 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the Fret Jeff.

:beer:

hazcat
February 11th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Wow, this IS a hospitable group! Thanks, everyone.

Robert, I will run..but only if someone is chasing me. I have more of a shotputter's build. It is a great town for track, though, and you pretty much grow up being a track fan around here. I do have a few brushes-with-greatness stories I'll tell you over a beer if you're planning to come out for the Olympic Trials this summer.:beer:

Eugene is also -- or at least was, when I was growing up -- a great blues town. It seemed like Robert Cray and Curtis Salgado were playing at Taylor's Tavern every weekend, and I met Sugar Blue blowing harp at the bus stop across the street. Art Neville lived here for a while, and so did Watermelon Slim. If you haven't heard Slim play that National, you should really try to check him out.

One more thing: thanks, Robert, for your AD50VT videos. It really was a factor in my decision to hear someone play well through one -- and without some would-be Nigel Tufnel putting a Marshall through its paces five feet away.

duhvoodooman
February 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Jeff. A pleasure to make your acquaintance! :dude:

mrmudcat
February 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM
welcome

sunvalleylaw
February 11th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Hi Jeff, though I live in SV, I am also from the land of trees, being raised in Tacoma, and attending law school not too far north from you in Salem. Nice to have you here.

sunvalleylaw
February 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Yeah, wasn't Cray playing in the Animal House scene with the band, and wasn't that filmed in Eugene? Great town. I still am a Pre fan and like to watch those movies occasionally.
Wow, this IS a hospitable group! Thanks, everyone.

Robert, I will run..but only if someone is chasing me. I have more of a shotputter's build. It is a great town for track, though, and you pretty much grow up being a track fan around here. I do have a few brushes-with-greatness stories I'll tell you over a beer if you're planning to come out for the Olympic Trials this summer.:beer:

Eugene is also -- or at least was, when I was growing up -- a great blues town. It seemed like Robert Cray and Curtis Salgado were playing at Taylor's Tavern every weekend, and I met Sugar Blue blowing harp at the bus stop across the street. Art Neville lived here for a while, and so did Watermelon Slim. If you haven't heard Slim play that National, you should really try to check him out.

One more thing: thanks, Robert, for your AD50VT videos. It really was a factor in my decision to hear someone play well through one -- and without some would-be Nigel Tufnel putting a Marshall through its paces five feet away.

Gil Janus
February 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Welcome, drag up a stool and stay awhile. The crowd is nice and friendly. :bravo:

Hope you enjoy your stay. :dude:

Gil :cool:

aeolian
February 12th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Another representative from the beaver state! Welcome! I'm in Portland.

Bloozcat
February 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Welcome, Jeff!

I'd comment on that beaver allusion, but we have ladies present. And we don't want them thinking that we have only one thing on our minds...ok, two, maybe...:)

M29
February 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Welcome Jeff:AOK: I have been considering a Breedlove acoustic down the road. I played one at GC and it was sweet.

Bloozcat...wouldn't that be three things on your mind not two??

M29

Adrian30
February 12th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Welcome and nice to have you here, Jeff.

hazcat
February 12th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks again, everyone. Yes, I'm pretty fond of both the Breedlove and the Tokai. The Breedlove is very lively and responsive. Really like it. Larrivees I've played have been quite good, too. The Tokai is good...but I'm coming to terms with the fact that, although I love the look of a one-piece maple neck more than anything, I don't play them as well as rosewood. So the Tokai's days are probably numbered.

Finally, SVL, we are indeed homies, as I was born while Dad was stationed at Ft. Lewis. Anyway, good to see some Northwesterners in the mix. Shout out to aeolian in PDX! Fun town.

...Ha. Otis Day and the Knights...hadn't thought about that in years. Bob's international debut. Didn't they have him playing bass or something?

See ya 'round the forum.

Brian Krashpad
February 13th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Any fan of Steve Jones is A-OK by me!

Welcome aboard.