PDA

View Full Version : Tribal Tech

Robert
February 12th, 2008, 12:44 PM
These guys were (and still are) huge influences for me. This live clip from 1995 is really cool with Scott Henderson totally burning up the fretboard.

Kirk Covington on groove and rap, Gary Willis on funkalicious bass, Scott Kinsey on killer keys and Scott Henderson on his Ibanez through a Marshall.

KonV3w4ysOA

Katastrophe
February 12th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Great vid, Robert! The really cool thing about Scott Henderson is that when he's soloing he knows where he is at all times, and has total command of the fretboard and note selection.

Good stuff. That tune redefines the term "funky!"

SuperSwede
February 12th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Tribal Tech is definately one of my fav bands... +1

Spudman
February 12th, 2008, 10:06 PM
They sure are funky for white guys.:AOK:

It reminds me of the last really good drummer I worked with. He studied at PIT and we would get these never ending funk grooves going similar to the TT video. We became very telepathic and when I'd do something he'd almost instantaneously do it with me. It's so much fun to play like that.

Robert
February 12th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Tribal Tech doesn't exist anymore, unfortunately. The drummer Kirk Covington played in Scott Henderson's blues trio for a long while, but he got fired after not showing up for a gig. Scott has said he's never going play with Kirk ever again.
Also, the bass player Gary Willis lives in Barcelona.

Jimi75
February 13th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Totally awesome vid!

Scott's sound is great and the band is pretty tight. this is a real fretboard TANGO!

Katastrophe
February 13th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Tribal Tech doesn't exist anymore, unfortunately. The drummer Kirk Covington played in Scott Henderson's blues trio for a long while, but he got fired after not showing up for a gig. Scott has said he's never going play with Kirk ever again.
Also, the bass player Gary Willis lives in Barcelona.

Completely understandable. I wouldn't want to work with anyone that did the ol' "no call, no show" and took money out of my pocket, either. Lots of musicians have talent, but fewer have both talent and a solid work ethic.

Still, it would be kinda cool if the other band members got together under a different name.

Spudman
February 13th, 2008, 08:06 AM

You know what the cool thing would have been to have happened? What kind of audience do you think Tribal Tech drew? Probably a lot of other musicians and great players right. I'll bet they could have found a drummer in the audience that could have pulled off the gig. Now THAT would have been an awesome thing to see happen. Kind of like in the movie "Rock Star.":)