PDA

View Full Version : A Little Sit Down Discussion and Jam

just strum
February 13th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Ok, another what if:

What if you could pick any four artists to sit down and have a discussion and a little jam session. Instead of a jam session it could be just some guitar tips. The main part of the "what if" is who would you want at the table for a discussion? Living or deceased.

Mine:
Willie Nelson
Buddy Guy
Chrissie Hynde
Jimi Hendrix

I think Willie and Buddy have a lot of history that would be interesting to listen to. Chrissie because I thing she kicks a$$ and would provide a different perspective. Jimi Hendrix because of his unique approach to music at the time and I would like to be able to show him his popularity only became bigger and he was never forgotten.

oldguy
February 13th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Sonny Landreth
Frank Marino
Robert Renman
Stevie Ray Vaughan

Spudman
February 13th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Joe Satriani
Richie Blackmore
Roine Stolt
Guthrie Govan

mrmudcat
February 13th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Duane :master: & Barry:beer:

just strum
February 13th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Just to add to it - for the discussion part of it is there any specific things you would want to ask and discuss?

just strum
February 13th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Duane :master: & Barry:beer:

Manilow:D ?

strumsalot
February 13th, 2008, 09:07 PM
In no particular order

SRV
Willie Nelson
Chet Atkins
Doc Watson

Justaguyin_nc
February 13th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Mine:
Willie Nelson
Chrissie Hynde

Those two would be there..:AOK:

Probably add in
Django Reinhart to see Willie in awww..
and
Jerry Reed for the good times

Dunno if Chrissie Would like it.. but she knocks me out! :master:

Tone2TheBone
February 13th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Jimi cause he's funny and cause he's him.

Pagey just cause he's so dang weird and studio savvy...he's a great conversationalist.

Stevie Ray, and I'd just shut up and let him talk and play.

Alex Lifeson cause I've probably seen him the most out of everyone and because he's such a nice guy overall.

Nancy Wilson cause she's a baybeh and she plays a mean mandolin and acoustic. Probably has a lot of nice sweet things to say yeah.

mrmudcat
February 14th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Manilow:D ?

:rotflmao: Barry Oakley in case you really didnt know.:beer:

No talking but would just love to sit in on a lil homespun porch swamp boogie!:master:Not sure if Mannilow could hang strum:rockon:

Jipes
February 14th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I would love to have Chris Whitley (RIP Chris !)for poetry, honesty and intensity, Ry Cooder my musical hero (as for playing slide in all type of different music context) , Kelly Joe Phelps and Ani Difranco (the last two on how to write great songs).

Jipes

Jimi75
February 14th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Jimi
Elvis
Hetfield
Morrison
De Niro...uups....anyway....De Niro!

Kazz
February 14th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Muddy, (the one this forum)
Strum
Rocket
CB and Shiner....

Oh wait

SRV
Ace Frehley
Eric Clapton
John Lennon

since I have had the pleasure of sitting down with my guitar god Frank Hannon on several occasions and will again in the future...the 4 above will have to do.

Katastrophe
February 14th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Here's mine:

Alex Skolnick - made the transition from metal to pure jazz, and back to metal again, while still playing jazz. That would be an interesting conversation, I think.

Paul Gilbert - I wore out Racer X's Second Heat back in the day. His work with Racer X, Mr. Big and solo stuff is still awesome to me, too.

Chris DeGarmo - The more melodic player when he was in Queensryche. I'd love to jam with him.

Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare came out at an important time in my musical development. He hasn't stopped growing as a musician since.

R_of_G
February 14th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Miles Davis
Jimi Hendrix
Marc Ribot
Tom Waits

Spudman
February 14th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Kat
Read the first post again. It's FOUR that you would like to meet.
That's a tough list to shorten that ya got.:pancake:

Katastrophe
February 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Kat
Read the first post again. It's FOUR that you would like to meet.
That's a tough list to shorten that ya got.:pancake:

I understand... but that is the shortened list. It pained me to have to limit to just four when there are so many great guitar players in different genres.:thwap:

Can't we just limit the list to Four-ty???;) :D :beer:

marnold
February 14th, 2008, 08:55 AM
George Lynch
SRV
Randy Rhoads
Tommy Emmanuel

I'd love to talk with all of them and learn from them, but I'm not sure how keen I'd be to jam with them. I don't like to look like a fool.

Tone2TheBone
February 14th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Oops I posted 5. Keep Nancy in...sorry Alex.

SuperSwede
February 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Mike Stern
Jimi
Joe Perry
Tone2thebone (if he brings his jubilee)

Robert
February 14th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Oldguy, I'm humbled to be on your list!

My picks:

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Jimi Hendrix
Albert King

just strum
February 14th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Here's mine:

Kat,

I said a discussion, not the next Woodstock. Hmm, that brings up a good subject for a later date: Set up the line up for a three day 72 hour non-stop concert. - We'll have to get back to that one.

oldguy
February 14th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Kat,

I said a discussion, not the next Woodstock. Hmm, that brings up a good subject for a later date: Set up the line up for a three day 72 hour non-stop concert. - We'll have to get back to that one.

Looks like your house would be a nice half way meeting point for most of us.....

Katastrophe
February 14th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Kat,

Allllllllllllllllllllllrighty then... Let's keep it to the first four and call it even...

The good news is that when you start the next thread, I'll already have a good lineup (minus Gatton and Django, of course). That response would take a while to compose... 72 hours of guitars, 2 hour sets per act = 36 guitarists. No problem!:D

R_of_G
February 14th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Oldguy, I'm humbled to be on your list!

My picks:

Miles Davis

Jimi Hendrix

since robert and i have two of the same, we could co-host and have two more each.

Robert
February 14th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Ahh, smart RofG! Then I'll add

Oscar Peterson
Wes Montgomery

Algonquin
February 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Gordon Lightfoot
Burton Cummings
Andy Summers
Gord Downie

sunvalleylaw
February 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Ok, I like some of the above lists a lot, and hate to leave SRV off this list, but going in a different direction, I will list:

EDIT, TO ADD REASONS- in addition to hanging and jamming with these guys

Buddy Holly - find out where the early songs/licks came from
Chuck Berry - same
Brian Setzer - modern application of vintage style, learn his jazz influences/techniques
The Edge - pedal/effect clinic, and rhythm clinic

Wait, I'll cohost with Tone and add on his SRV and Jimi choices, cause I want to know where they were coming from and just because.

Tone2TheBone
February 14th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Ok, I like some of the above lists a lot, and hate to leave SRV off this list, but going in a different direction, I will list:

Buddy Holly
Chuck Berry
Brian Setzer
The Edge

Wait, I'll cohost with Tone and add on his SRV and Jimi choices.

That would be good because I'd like to party down with Brian. Good call.

just strum
February 14th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Allllllllllllllllllllllrighty then... Let's keep it to the first four and call it even...

The good news is that when you start the next thread, I'll already have a good lineup (minus Gatton and Django, of course). That response would take a while to compose... 72 hours of guitars, 2 hour sets per act = 36 guitarists. No problem!:D

the rest of will just add to your list in the event that you get a cancellation.:D

pie_man_25
February 14th, 2008, 07:35 PM
let's see...

django, SRV, pete townshend, and of course, kirk hammett, I am a metalhead after all

just strum
February 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Interesting list of people and interesting mix on some. A couple that I thought were good picks that I saw noted Pete Townsend and Tom Waits. I don't recall seeing Dylan (interesting).

If you had Dylan and Waits at your table, how many times do you think you would have to say "What did he say?"

R_of_G
February 15th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Interesting list of people and interesting mix on some. A couple that I thought were good picks that I saw noted Pete Townsend and Tom Waits. I don't recall seeing Dylan (interesting).

If you had Dylan and Waits at your table, how many times do you think you would have to say "What did he say?"

strum, i had such a hard time deciding between the two. in the end i went with waits because i already had ribot at the party and the two played on my vote for best album of all time [Rain Dogs] so I had to have them together. Jimi and Miles, that was just getting started when Jimi passed. Put both of those duos together and whatever you get, you know it's gonna be friggin' cool!