PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Tabs

Myles
October 14th, 2005, 03:13 PM
In North American society, it is impossible to not notice the growing trend of laziness in our culture as everyone and their dog tries desperately to find the easiest, fastest, and cheapest way to become rich and/or famous.

Emerging out of this lifestyle choice is probably the most popular guitar related search these days: Guitar Tabs.

Are Guitar Tabs a good way to get started or are they simply a bad habit that ultimately will hold you back?

What is your opinion?

Bigbear
October 18th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I have known many tab players who can only play bits of songs. Although i know those who started on tabs and eventually learned on theory. In my own opinion i believe tabs can be a tool to aide you. But again i beleive the best way is by theory first and use tabs when you can just notice the notes as STRING and FRET... not just finger it.

Tone2TheBone
October 18th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I've always been a play by ear guy...even when I learned how to read music and got into music theory in college. To this day I still rely on my ears and the sound in my minds eye (in my head) more than anything. I've used tabs for chords I couldn't visualize but thats the extent of it. I do know that I have had a few students who've learned strictly from tabs and I felt that it hindered their ability to really get a FEEL for their music. After all shouldn't we feel the music that's being played and listened to?

Robert
October 18th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I frankly can't stand tabs. I have good ears, and I can learn about 200 times faster by using my ears compared to my eyes. It is also easy to get stuck in the details and miss the big picture. Tone2thebone - not only feel it, but we gotta hear it too!

Tone2TheBone
October 19th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Ja Rob...I kinda meant hear it also when I said "played and listened to". hahahaha ;)

Robert
October 19th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Okay, got ya!