PDA

View Full Version : New Bass (Practice?) Amp

r_a_smith3530
March 27th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Well, I just mentioned it in another thread, so I might as well officially announce my second latest piece of gear. While I was trying to figure out how I was going to proceed regarding my old G&L S-500, and the acquisition of a similar vintage G&L bass, my friend Paul came across a Peavey bass amp at the pawn shop near where he works. He told me I ought to check it out. We thought it might be useful to keep a bass amp at his house so we could practice at either his place or mine (I already have both bass and guitar amps).

I jumped on the train one day (he drove - the govt. pays for his parking!) and we met to check it out. The first impression I got was that it had definitely been a working musician's amp! It wasn't terribly pretty, but that was OK with me. I was more interested in how it sounded. After fiddling with it a bit, I was able to start coaxing some decent tones from it. I could tell that all the neon and flouescent lighting in the pawn shop was fighting with the amp, but it sounded OK. A deal was struck, and a crane was summoned to heft this beast into the back of my friend's SUV (it weighs something like 100lbs. We got it home just in time for Paul to leave on a week's vacation. The following week was just a bit crazy for us both, so finally, the other day, I got to see what my new amp could do.

It is friggin' loud, that is for sure. I don't know whether it's the 15" speaker or what, but it feels like this thing could give my 220 watt Crate a run for its money in the volume department. As for tone, I still have to play with it some more. At high volumes, it begins to break up. Not that good breakup we describe as "brown," but rather that breakup which sounds like a speaker magnet beginning to go. I'll have to check that. If that is in fact the case, I'll be hunting down a Black Widow.

Oh yeah, it's a Peavey TNT 100. At a hundred watts, it is one nice practice amp!