PDA

View Full Version : Drum machine recommendation?

Robert
February 14th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Been thinking I should get a drum machine. I actually have a pretty good old one. It's a Roland R-5, but the problem is I don't have a power adapter. Getting one would cost me over $90 bucks, so it seems like a dead end.

Suggestions anyone?

The BOSS DR-670 (http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/DR-670/) looks interesting.

I am noticing I need one for my teaching. I use the kids' toy piano with built-in rhythms when I teach. Somehow that doesn't quite seem appropriate... and the sounds suck....;)

I always encourage people to practice with a good rhythm track. Some teachers say you should practice with a metronome. Well, that is better than nothing, but it's got to be one of the most boring ways to practice playing in time. With a drum machine, you can get some good grooves to play along with, that beats the heck out of a metronome! :rockon:

tunghaichuan
February 14th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Robert,

It's a Roland R-5, but the problem is I don't have a power adapter. Getting one would cost me over $90 bucks, so it seems like a dead end.

I'm not familiar with that particular piece of gear. Is there a reason why the PS is $90? Odd connector?

tung

Robert
February 14th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Dunno, Tung. Yes, it's their own adapter and I called Roland's headquarters and they said I have to use their special one. Maybe I could find a workaround if I look around harder. Still, there are more exiting drum machines available today. The R-5 isn't the easiest to use either.

tunghaichuan
February 14th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Dunno, Tung. Yes, it's their own adapter and I called Roland's headquarters and they said I have to use their special one. Maybe I could find a workaround if I look around harder. Still, there are more exiting drum machines available today. The R-5 isn't the easiest to use either.

Dang, that sucks :( $90 seems like gouging to me. Their regular pedal adapter is like $20 and that seems high to me.

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the old one? Or did you buy the unit without the PS?

This is an interesting thread. I'll be interested in what everyone has to say. The last drum machine I owned was a Roland TR-707 which I sold in 1994.

It sounds like you're looking for a stand alone machine, but here is a free software based drum machine

Hammerhead (http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/)

Lots of emulations you can download including classic Roland drum machines.

tung

Robert
February 14th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I've used the Hammerhead quite a bit. A standalone drum machine would be nice though, so you can move it around to where ever you need to go without much hassle.

The old adapter is for Swedish Power! Yep, I bought it back when I lived in Sweden, and the plugs and power are different there... (be afraid of Swedish Power, muahhahaha... :D )

Spudman
February 14th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Zoom has a couple tha sound good and you can get new for the price of that adapter.
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ZOMMRT3

and the 234 used is killer
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=177

sunvalleylaw
February 14th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I was thinking about finding a drum program with some loops for the computer to use. Maybe some garageband plug ins.

Robert
February 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM
That Zoom seems like a good little unit!

hubberjub
February 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Check out the Alesis SR-16. It's pretty much the industry standard. I've never used one but I hear they are decent.

SuperSwede
February 15th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I've used the Hammerhead quite a bit. A standalone drum machine would be nice though, so you can move it around to where ever you need to go without much hassle.

The old adapter is for Swedish Power! Yep, I bought it back when I lived in Sweden, and the plugs and power are different there... (be afraid of Swedish Power, muahhahaha... :D )

There are various converters available for power adapers.. I have a "travelers kit" somewhere with a set of different plugs.

Do you have 220V in Canada?

Robert
February 15th, 2008, 09:41 AM
No, SS, it's 110V here... :mad:

Jimi75
February 15th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Hello Robert,

As long as you do not need the drum machine for live situation, why don't you invest in EZ Drummer (software)? It is such a user friendly programm and the quality is great.

Robert
February 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I have it, Jimi. It's great, but I'd like a more portable drummer solution.

SuperSwede
February 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM
No, SS, it's 110V here... :mad:

Hmm.. thats what we have in the bathroom here ;)

sunvalleylaw
February 15th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I have it, Jimi. It's great, but I'd like a more portable drummer solution.

I don't know, check this out, esp. since you are saving for that new MacBook Pro:

http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/collins/index.html

Felicia replaced her whole pedals setup and rack with it (see the top of page 2), and it would run the drums too. EZ Drummer is Mac compatible as well. Rather than spend the $$ on a separate device, seems like you could get more use out of that new tool you are going to have.

Robert
February 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Well, Steve, I could do both. :)

I still want a standalone drum machine for when I'm teaching. I teach both at home and at the music store, so I'd like a small little drum machine to tug along with me where ever I'm at. It doesn't have to be a very fancy drum machine - it's just for practicing with.

tot_Ou_tard
February 15th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I've always wondered how hard those drum machines are to program.

What I would like is something that would be very easy to set up for practice, but has more flexibility than the rhythm machine in my Boss RC-2.

Robert
February 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM
How about this one -
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Keyboard+And+MIDI/product/Boss/DR-5+Drum+Machine/10/1

Boss DR-5. Cheap on eBay.

Spudman
February 19th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I messed with one and thought the Zoom 234 was easier to use.

street music
February 25th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Robert , my Zoom G1 has built in drum machine and I just can't seem to get the hang on sticking with some of the rhythms. I want to build up my speed on chords and changing but I'm having a tough time of gettin in time to this.
I don't care for a metro, I guess it will just take more time.

Spudman
February 25th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Street

Your unit should have tempo control for those beats. Slow them down at first then gradually increase the tempo. If you perfect your strumming or picking patterns at a slower speed then gradually speeding up should give you the same perfection. Just work in 5 bpm increments.

Say you are comfortable strumming a piece at 80 bpm, the next step is to go to 85 bpm, then 90 bpm etc. Spend considerable time in each speed as it will be useful later to know what 95 bpm feels like (or other tempos). If you spend enough time there you will know instinctively how it feels.

Jampy
February 26th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I don't know, check this out, esp. since you are saving for that new MacBook Pro:

http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/collins/index.html

Felicia replaced her whole pedals setup and rack with it (see the top of page 2), and it would run the drums too. EZ Drummer is Mac compatible as well. Rather than spend the $$ on a separate device, seems like you could get more use out of that new tool you are going to have.

BTW: New MacBook Pro's announced today