PDA

View Full Version : String education

aeolian
February 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I play a little bass, just for recording really, so I have a lot to learn about basses in general.

I have a couple of questions on bass strings. I remember reading somewhere that some people like old strings on their basses, essentially leaving them on for years. Is that just folklore, or should I change bass strings like I change guitar strings?

So far I mostly like to get a mellow bass sound, so what kind of strings should I try. I currently have available (still in the package) a set of D'addario Half-Rounds (50-105). I found on the D'addario website that these are more mellow than round wounds, and less mellow than flat wounds. Anyone have experience with these and what is your opinion on these Half-Rounds.

I know one aspect about flatwound guitar strings is that it reduces squeaks, is that also a factor when it comes to bass strings, or that it gives a sound that players prefer?

That's a lot of question, but I can use the understanding. Thanks.

pie_man_25
February 14th, 2008, 07:54 PM
well, I've never used half-rounds but I like the d'addario flats, really mellow, groovy bass tones there, put 'em on a jazz and start laying down some R+b, blues, funk, country and rock really, sound great picked too, the squeak reduction is true, but at the same time, you lose a lot of treble, twang and harmonics are a little harder to get too, but they'll definitely get the tone you want.

Dreadman
February 14th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Several bass players I've known leave their strings on for years. Good players with good sounds so I figure there must be something to it.

I only have one bass (acoustic/electric) and I'm still using the coated strings that came on it. A black plastic type coating that seems to mellow the sound a bit but you can slide up and down the whole neck all day long without sawing your fingers in half.

moon
February 18th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I would recommend Elixer Nanos. They have the sweet sound right out of the box, little string noise, decent durability, yet great definition. Gore was kind enough to supply me with a set of the original Elixers in a pre-run test, and a set of Nanos when they came out with those. I'm one of those players that use bass strings for long periods before changing them; usually changing a set when I break one, or when they get so old I can't EQ them to what I like to hear, which is usually 2 or more years. I have a Dano Hodad Bass II that I put a set of D'Addario flats on, but for some reason after a year they got too whimpy sounding. Maybe it's because I played the heck out of the bass for that year... But - I do want to try a set on my main battleaxe, a Westone Concorde Bass II. Flatwounds on a cheap hollowbody sound fantastic, now I want to try them on a high-output solidbody.

:wave:

LowEndWonder
February 22nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
Return them and get either the Chromes in 45-65-80-100 or the XL Nickel Rounds in 45-65-85-105. The rounds will be bright at first, then after two weeks will mellow. After about four months they will have that old school roundwound sound. Halfwounds go dead quick! I mean dead no tone quick.
Plus, they are stiffer, especially the guage you have.

moon
February 23rd, 2008, 10:51 AM
I'm new here, so if a reminder that a change in gauge means a change in setup is redundant, please disregard the man behind the bass.

I've tried a lot of different string types and compositions, and made a gauge change once (went lighter - never again). I've decided to stay away from stainless, it will tear up frets; prefer nickel; I'm flatwound-curious. I've used GHS Super Steels and Boomers, like Boomers better. I like the sound of Markley Blues Steels pretty good too. I really like the sound and feel of Elixers right out of the box, but when the coating starts hanging from them like sweater fuzz it annoys me. I've tried cheapo store brands, but they go away fast, and I break them. Been thinking about some of those fancy-looking colored strings... oh - not sure what the heck I do to them, but I've broke two tuners while playing - the danged posts pop right off. I guess that might be an expected sort of thing after 25 years of the kind of relationship my Westone and I have.