PDA

View Full Version : Could They Make It today?

just strum
February 14th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Ok, I'll leave you with another one tonight.

Could a band that was released prior to 1980 make it today if they were to have there very first release today?

1) They would have to make it with the same album/CD that they released initially.

2) By "make it" it doesn't have to be to equal popularity, let's use sell out or near sell outs of theaters of say 2,500 from coast to coast.

3) "Make it" does not mean draw interest of today's youth - any age bracket will qualify.

Then if the group or solo artist couldn't make it today with their original release, is there a release that they did have prior to 1980 that would enable them to make it if it was their first release?

Keep in mind that you don't necessarily have to like them. Also keep in mind you never heard there music before, so nostalgia can not play a role in your decision.

Ok, I'll start with the Beatles.

No way would they be able to draw interest with "Meet the Beatles" (I Want to Hold Your Hand" or I Saw Her Standing There" era). However, I do think they would stand a chance possibly with "Abbey Road".

Bob Dylan: Don't know his first album, but I am familiar with some of his early music - again no way and I'm not sure if any recording that he did would make it if it was his first release.

This thread might flop, but I started thinking about it and it's difficult for me to think of anyone that would make it today.

R_of_G
February 14th, 2008, 09:24 PM
So here's Meet the Beatles trackilisting below. I bolded the songs that I think could be hits in any era. Given the number of Beatles songs that are in commercials, given movies based entirely on covering Beatles songs, I'd contend you're off on the assessment. It's not all nostalgia, they are quality songs.

Side one
"I Want to Hold Your Hand"
"I Saw Her Standing There"
"This Boy"
"It Won't Be Long"
"All I've Got to Do"
"All My Loving"

Side two
"Don't Bother Me" (George Harrison)
"Little Child"
"Till There Was You" (Meredith Willson)
"Hold Me Tight"
"I Wanna Be Your Man"
"Not a Second Time"

oldguy
February 14th, 2008, 09:27 PM
In this day and age of internet, I-pod, American Idol, self-serving music industry standards, looks=success, and computerized vocal correction.........
my opinion is probably not. Purely subjective, of course.
Most of the industry-groomed made-for-primetime newcomers don't last long nowadays. There will always be exceptions, of course.
Following on the heels of Vai, Satriani, etc. I doubt Jimi would have the impact today that he did originally........... but without his influence I doubt we'd have them, either.
I think some of them would be successful, and make a living playing music.....but I doubt they'd be as successful as they were in their day.
2500 seats?............ yes, some could do that....... the way Joe Bonamassa can. I think the blues players could. Blues never go out of style, just take a short hiatus and come back screamin'. :D

hubberjub
February 14th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I'd say most bands like the Beatles would put out better albums than they originally did. A lot of those records were cut before the use of multitrack recording. Wasn't Sgt. Pepper's recorded with just a four track? Imagine what they could do with a modern Protools setup. Right now we can make horrible musicians sound fantastic. I've definetely done some punching in and punching out in the studio to correct a couple of bad notes.

oldguy
February 14th, 2008, 10:22 PM
No doubt technology's improved vastly. That being a given, another subjective query........... in today's market, what about-

Neil Young?
Kris Kristofferson?
Willie Nelson?

Spudman
February 14th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Since the music would be timeless and the technology improved I'll bet some of the older artists would slay with one of their seminal releases. Neil Sedaka and The Bee Gees might not make it but there are plenty that would I'll bet.

aeolian
February 14th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Elvis Costello's first was, I believe, in 1979. My Aim Is True can make it today in my opinion. Talking Heads come out around that time too, and I think they would also stand a good chance of making it if it were today.

I love the Beatles, but going back to styles from almost 45 years ago we are talking about 2 generations. It is possible that they can still make it, but it will have to be the Beatles recording with today's studio techniques. They made their first album in one day, that is just not even imaginable today.

Another evidence that the Beatles can make it today is the fact that there are Beatles-influenced groups making it today. An example is the group Jet from Australia that had some moderate hits over the last couple of years. Have you heard of them?

markb
February 14th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Since the music would be timeless and the technology improved I'll bet some of the older artists would slay with one of their seminal releases. Neil Sedaka and The Bee Gees might not make it but there are plenty that would I'll bet.

I dunno, would Meet The Beatles sound as fresh and lively if not recorded in one session on a 4 track? I'm no Beatles fan but that record is a document of the energy of an up and coming group. Extra production wouldn't really have done it any favours for my money.

Spudman
February 15th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I dunno, would Meet The Beatles sound as fresh and lively if not recorded in one session on a 4 track? I'm no Beatles fan but that record is a document of the energy of an up and coming group. Extra production wouldn't really have done it any favours for my money.

I didn't have that record in mind but plenty of others that would have benefited from new technology. Maybe Alice Cooper's "Billion Dollar Babies", or Sly and the Family Stone's "Dance to the Music."

Jimi75
February 15th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I think there are a lot of bands that proffed that their success lived on through generations. There are so many bands that still influence young musicians today. I guess we have to distinguish between poeple that are affected by handmade music and people that like electronic music more. Why shouldn't the Beatles or any other band have success today? They wouldn't look the same - of course more trendy - and they would record with better qualitiy to satisfy today's expectations. As long as a band pushes hard they have good chances to get a deal and to go on tour. Good music is timeless.

Just recently the singer of porcupine tree said that if there is nothing left like computers and iPods and whatever, there will still be live music played with instruments.

Katastrophe
February 15th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I don't know, if any of the classic bands would even be making music that sounded like it did back then, if it were to be made today. The music that made all of them great was new and different in the context of the time in which it was written.

It would be kinda like asking if any of the "big band" era music would be making it today. Outside of the popularity that Brian Setzer enjoyed a few years back, probably not.

Also, there is no band development like there was a while ago. It used to be that a record company wanted long running bands so they could have steady streams of revenue. Now, it's push an act for all it's worth until they start dropping in popularity, then on to the next act.

Plank_Spanker
February 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I don't know, if any of the classic bands would even be making music that sounded like it did back then, if it were to be made today. The music that made all of them great was new and different in the context of the time in which it was written.

It would be kinda like asking if any of the "big band" era music would be making it today. Outside of the popularity that Brian Setzer enjoyed a few years back, probably not.

Also, there is no band development like there was a while ago. It used to be that a record company wanted long running bands so they could have steady streams of revenue. Now, it's push an act for all it's worth until they start dropping in popularity, then on to the next act.

DING!

We have a winner!

I completely agree with you, Katastrophe. We live in the age of cookie cutter tripe - why take a chance on a new sound when you can just clone what every other label is making money on? There is no band development these days. New bands are disposable commodities, hooked into aweful contracts designed to squeeze one or two money making tunes from them before they're cast aside.

And when profits go into the tank, don't look within! Just sue your consumers!

But that's another topic......................

oldguy
February 15th, 2008, 08:51 AM
That is a large part of the equation, Plank, which leads me to wonder........
Another thing..... suppose VanHalen never released an album.
Then along comes Vai........then Satriani, etc.
Now today Van Halen's 1st album is released. How big an impact would it have?
And if it didn't shoot up the charts, would they just get chucked in the waste bin along with all the other wannabe's?

just strum
February 15th, 2008, 05:42 PM
So here's Meet the Beatles trackilisting below. I bolded the songs that I think could be hits in any era. Given the number of Beatles songs that are in commercials, given movies based entirely on covering Beatles songs, I'd contend you're off on the assessment. It's not all nostalgia, they are quality songs.

Side one
"I Want to Hold Your Hand"
"I Saw Her Standing There"
"This Boy"
"It Won't Be Long"
"All I've Got to Do"
"All My Loving"

Side two
"Don't Bother Me" (George Harrison)
"Little Child"
"Till There Was You" (Meredith Willson)
"Hold Me Tight"
"I Wanna Be Your Man"
"Not a Second Time"

I am a big Beatles fan and I agree with the songs you noted, but I just don't see them making it on that album. As for commercials and the movie, the popularity there is nostaligia (IMO). I do have a stronger feeling that there later albums could make it.

I was listening to The WHO going to and from work today. They are a band that could make it today.

A couple of points about my question. 1) I'm not thinking of the original bands going in and doing remakes - strictly as is. 2) I'm not referring to them releasing new material to "fit" the times - again, strictly as is.

As I thought about some more today, I started thinking more favorably that the bands of the earlier years could make it, I just don't think there original releases would catch on, but the later releases would.

Keep in mind that the fact that some are still around today doesn't mean they could make it today if they were arriving on the scene with that same sound.

pie_man_25
February 17th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I say rush with rush would probably not have made it today, however with 2112, moving pictures and hemispheres they would have been progressive enough to make it with other musicians, not the general public though.

the who, I don't know there first album, but I don't think they would make it, I just don't.

the ramones, I'd say with today's pop/punk they would have made it into the circulation for about a month, so I suppose they'd make it.

Plank_Spanker
February 18th, 2008, 05:47 PM
The Beatles are a good benchmark. They wrote and performed solid music - pertinent to the times, and timeless as the clock has tolled. They were developed, allowed to experiment, and released with good PR.

That said, they wouldn't make it past one hit in the current music environment.

The current model is a prime example of "quick kill" profits - sign the act to a hopeless contract, give them their advance (to record the album, finance the tour, and develop the merch! :thwap: ), and count the money while that poor band slaves away trying to make it all work. Let's not forget that the label now wants a piece of the merch..........................

Pure, unadulterated, unbridled greed - coupled with a very short sighted, zero sense of the business.

And now the suits cry "foul" and sue the consumers.....................:thwap:

The way to go now is "indy". The suits missed the internet boat, and it's too late for them. The dam hath burst forth...................:D

The major labels are reaping what they have sowed.........................

Guild6
October 3rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
I think you opened a real big can of worms with that question. Here's my humble opinion, and you'll probably summize I'm very much an oldies kinda guy.
Yesteday's bands probably wouldn't make it today however, without them today's bands would be standing on stage without an audience.
Yesterday's bands would be....Beatles, Stones, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Jimi. Not to mention Robert Johnson, T-Bone Walker, Big Bill Broonzy,etc. Fortunately for us all, the list goes on and on.
Long live the list!

Andy
October 3rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
you can't put past bands in a timewarp and spit them out in present day. thats not how it works ..it has to do with the technology and music scene at any given time.

now name any band that was as groundbreaking and influencial as the beatles from 64-70?

there is none,,, not today, not 10 yrs ago, not 20, not even in the last 30.

for me the last 10 years has been the most bleak dissapointing era of rock there has ever been..theres some good things , here and there. because r-n-r is so diluted from what it started as.