PDA

View Full Version : What gives you the "kick"?

Jimi75
February 15th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Okay, I am just talking MUSIC. Are there still things that kick you or has guitar playing just become another habit and "The Thrill Is Gone"? I exclude purchasing new equipment.

To me it is always a great moment coming back from summer holiday which is always around two weeks long. Haven't touched a guitar in two weeks and then get the guitar out of the case and strum the first chords. This feels so great and reminds me of how beautiful guitar playing really is.

What gives you the kick?

Plank_Spanker
February 15th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Playing in front of a crowd always does it. This may be strange, but sometimes I'll hear a loop of music in my head most of the day - and I can't wait to get home and figure it out. I have a Roland recording station that I'll put down rhythm tracks on and jam away to them.

My biggest kick, though, is finding the "zone" in front of a crowd. :D

Brian Krashpad
February 15th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Playing with the band. Especially in a performance, because then you have the audience as well, but even in practice. Nothing like the ebb and flow and the interplay between a bunch of people playing.

marnold
February 15th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Palm muting power chords with enough gain to stun a musk ox.

Spudman
February 15th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Playing with a group and nothing exists but the song. When I realize what is happening it pulls me back out of the moment and I get goosebumps as I realize what just happened. That's my kick and it makes it all worth while.

luvmyshiner
February 15th, 2008, 08:47 AM
What gets it for me as a novice guitar player is when I find one of those songs that I can learn quickly. I'm not good with memorization, and I normally have to work out chords and progressions. I've got some songs that I've worked on for months that I still don't have down. Every now and then though I'll find a song that just comes together within a couple of hours. It's a real ego booster and makes me feel like I'm starting to learn this thing.

Tone2TheBone
February 15th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I have to agree with some of these guys in that playing with other people is a kicker for me as well. Live and in concert...and even if it's only in someone's music room. I'd get a kick playing out on real gigs too I really miss that. Bobby said he'd let me play bass for him up there in Edmonton so I'm ready for that.

Robert
February 15th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Palm muting power chords with enough gain to stun a musk ox.

:D :rotflmao: :master: That's an INSTANT CLASSIC!

For me, it's playing with a really good sound, like with my new amph... I get inspired instantly when I play it.

t_ross33
February 15th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Playing with the band. Especially in a performance, because then you have the audience as well, but even in practice. Nothing like the ebb and flow and the interplay between a bunch of people playing.
Same here. :rockon: When someone calls up a song from out of the blue at practice, or we get an unusual request and we nail it on the first run through with no cheat notes, tabs or lyric sheets.

strumsalot
February 15th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Sitting on the sofa in the middle of the night, alone in the dark, fingerpicking my acoustic, getting so caught up in the music, everything else just melts away.

oldguy
February 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Sometimes........ but not always.......... softly, gently, tenderly.....brushing my lips against............

a microphone while touching my guitar's strings.

Ro3b
February 15th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Working long hours with musicians I trust and respect on music that I love, then getting up on a stage somewhere and putting it out in front of a big noisy crowd that loves it. Best thing in the world.

sunvalleylaw
February 15th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I can think of two things, low E string based power chords, and just nailing a bend, so that it tugs at you. When I get to play out and nail a solo, that is really fun too.

Spudman
February 15th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Sometimes........ but not always.......... softly, gently, tenderly.....brushing my lips against............
a microphone while touching my guitar's strings.

Yowsa! :messedup: I know you don't have braces so that's a good thing but doesn't it make your fillings glow and your hair gray? :poke:

Robert
February 15th, 2008, 04:35 PM
What would give me the "kick" is to play with Tone2TheBone. He's gonna be my new bass player. :D
And I am sure that if my playing sucked particularly bad, I'd receive a kick from him.

just strum
February 15th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Just learning something new and playing with someone else to accelerate the learning process.

Oh, and it's always a kick when someone recognizes progress when you think you are not progressing.

kerc
February 17th, 2008, 11:49 PM
When I can play something without @#$%^!! it up. :D

Dreadman
February 18th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Palm muting power chords with enough gain to stun a musk ox.I'm gonna have to agree here but I'd add "while standing in front of eight 12-inch speakers". :rockon: :rockon:

Dreadman
February 18th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Sitting on the sofa in the middle of the night, alone in the dark, fingerpicking my acoustic, getting so caught up in the music, everything else just melts away.I'm sure glad this didn't end with something like drinkin' whiskey naked and crying.
:rotflmao:

Jipes
February 18th, 2008, 04:35 AM
To prepare myself for a performance always give me a kick, but also working on a new Open Tuning just drill my curiosity and boost my will for guitar playing

marnold
February 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I'm sure glad this didn't end with something like drinkin' whiskey naked and crying.
:rotflmao:
That's not until Tuesday.

R_of_G
February 18th, 2008, 10:37 AM
For me it is hearing something while listening to music and then trying to figure out how to play it. that always drives me back into playing. even if i can't fig out the lick i was trying to, i still wind up coming up with something fun out of it.

pes_laul
February 18th, 2008, 02:34 PM
going to the recording studio and making a song playing all the instruments my self (except drums)