PDA

View Full Version : Avatars & Sigs

R_of_G
February 15th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I noticed that like myself, a lot of you like to change up you av picture and quotes in your sig. i thought i would start a thread where if anybody had any questions about what was what they could ask here and get an answer.

also, tone2thebone, i love your Lennon combo. very cool!

Tone2TheBone
February 15th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I noticed that like myself, a lot of you like to change up you av picture and quotes in your sig. i thought i would start a thread where if anybody had any questions about what was what they could ask here and get an answer.

also, tone2thebone, i love your Lennon combo. very cool!

Thanks man. I changed it last night after watching "Across The Universe". I loved that movie. It was very interesting with great visual interpretations of Beatles songs and my kids and I sang along the whole time. Bet people did also in the movie theater.

And your avatar is in reference to Marc Ribot yes?

R_of_G
February 15th, 2008, 10:15 AM
actually i realize that i switched the pic but not the text. the new pic is of thom yorke of raiohead [a band for whom i just got tix yesterday]. i will be switching out the text shortly, thanks. it was marc ribot before that, but since i got those tix my mind has been a little precoccupied.

tot_Ou_tard
February 15th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Across the Universe is indeed a great movie Tone!

just strum
February 15th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks man. I changed it last night after watching "Across The Universe". I loved that movie. It was very interesting with great visual interpretations of Beatles songs and my kids and I sang along the whole time. Bet people did also in the movie theater.

And your avatar is in reference to Marc Ribot yes?

My daughter picked it up at the video store last night and we are suppose to watch it together this weekend. She also picked up Yellow Submarine and HELP. We have A Hard Days Night (one of my favorites).

Regarding avatar - Robert, what exactly is that pedal you have as your avatar?

Adrian30
February 15th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Cool thread, R of G. There are times when I actually wonder about different avatars. Now we know where to direct questions.

My daughter picked it up at the video store last night and we are suppose to watch it together this weekend. She also picked up Yellow Submarine and HELP. We have A Hard Days Night (one of my favorites).

A very fine Delay A very fine Delay A very fine Delay

tot_Ou_tard
February 18th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Hey Dr Spudball Snell!

I noticed the Flower Kings "Sum of No Evil" as your new Avatar.

How is it? Cool looking album cover!

pes_laul
February 18th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Adrian what pedal is that for your avatar it looks like a tube screamer but the knobs are in different places.

KrisH
February 20th, 2008, 09:27 PM
KrisH, how 'bout popping over to the Avatars & Sigs thread & tell us what your avatar is?

My guess is that it's one of the peeps that Sean knows well ;).

It's some kind of goofy anime creature I stole from my daughter. :thwap: We think its running -- or jumping for joy. It's silly so I like it!

-- KrisH

sunvalleylaw
February 20th, 2008, 10:36 PM

ok Strum, who is the screaming face? :)

just strum
February 20th, 2008, 10:42 PM
ok Strum, who is the screaming face? :)

my wife, every time I tell her I bought another guitar.:D

sunvalleylaw
February 20th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Lol!!!

tot_Ou_tard
February 21st, 2008, 07:39 AM
It's some kind of goofy anime creature I stole from my daughter. :thwap: We think its running -- or jumping for joy. It's silly so I like it!

-- KrisH
I like it too.

sunvalleylaw
February 21st, 2008, 10:21 AM
Cool new avatar Tone! Einstein is one interesting dude!

Tone2TheBone
February 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM
Cool new avatar Tone! Einstein is one interesting dude!

Thanks buddy. The quote is my all time favorite too. I comprehend it's meaning completely. My uncle gave me a cut out paper years ago with this quote inscribed on it and it's hanging on my office wall right above my computer so it has a personal meaning for me too along with the message in that regard. My uncle and I are very similar.

R_of_G
February 21st, 2008, 11:36 AM
i love it Tone!

R_of_G
February 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Hey Tot, I like "village idiot" but since you are on the path of the beam, might i suggest "ka-mai?" [which you should have encountered by now as the term roland uses to describe eddie and cuthbert meaning "ka's fool"]. when you get to book 7 you'll also learn "kai-dam" but i'll save that one for then.

tot_Ou_tard
March 3rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
Hey Tot, I like "village idiot" but since you are on the path of the beam, might i suggest "ka-mai?" [which you should have encountered by now as the term roland uses to describe eddie and cuthbert meaning "ka's fool"]. when you get to book 7 you'll also learn "kai-dam" but i'll save that one for then.

I still haven't finished Wolves of the Calla:o .

Much too much guitar to learn.

Lev, you're cracking me up with the motto:

Strataholic

& under that, your avatar which shows a bunch of Les Pauls!

sunvalleylaw
March 3rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Hey Justa, what's with the Guild acoustic headstock in the avatar? Your sig line says you're shopping for sumthin' Hmm.

Adrian30
March 3rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
Adrian what pedal is that for your avatar it looks like a tube screamer but the knobs are in different places.

Hey Pes,

Sorry for a late response. Yeah it's a Ibanez TS9DX, the lower left knob has four modes. I just like the way it looks, it resembles the 70's and early 80's depictions of robot heads.:rotflmao:

sunvalleylaw
March 5th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Tone2theBone, I love your new Neil avatar. I love black and white shots and love that guitar. Nice!

Tone2TheBone
March 6th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Tone2theBone, I love your new Neil avatar. I love black and white shots and love that guitar. Nice!

Thanks buddy. He sorta reminds me of a kind of Jack White minstrel back then. Especially when I see his old vids on youtube. That's Neil in his prime. Time stands still for him in the photo.

sunvalleylaw
March 6th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Absolutely. He was minstrel and bard back then, and sometimes still is. But especially back then with his one man shows, a guitar, a piano, a harmonica, a man and his songs.

Bloozcat
March 6th, 2008, 03:54 PM
A new avatar now and then is a good thing, eh...?

Tone2TheBone
March 6th, 2008, 04:23 PM
You bet. Looks like you're rockin' the gauge there buddy...sweet. :AOK:

Justaguyin_nc
March 6th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Really like the new Tone2theYoungBone look!

Great pic! :AOK:

Tone2TheBone
March 7th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Really like the new Tone2theYoungBone look!

Great pic! :AOK:

Like yours too buddy! We'll be strumming some righteous guits on the porch before you know it!

oldguy
March 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Here's to two friends strummin' on the porch....make the most of each day.
Hope it's sooner than later....... "time fades away"............:beer:
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_11547d1d36a331ff.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=383)http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_11547d1d369ea7bd.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=382)

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM
yes & rust never sleeps.

tot_Ou_tard
July 13th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Nice resonator in your avatar Strum.

Is the guitar stork due Chez Strum?
Or is she just a gleam in your eye?

just strum
July 13th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Nice resonator in your avatar Strum.

Is the guitar stork due Chez Strum?
Or is she just a gleam in your eye?

Just a gleam. I stumbled upon the photo and figured it was a good avatar. No thoughts of adding something like that to the current group.

tot_Ou_tard
July 13th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Just a gleam. I stumbled upon the photo and figured it was a good avatar. No thoughts of adding something like that to the current group.
I'd love to have a resonator.

Jipes, care to send me yours? ;)

just strum
July 13th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I'd love to have a resonator.

Jipes, care to send me yours? ;)

For me, not a burning desire, but was a strong one when I had all of the acoustics.

tot_Ou_tard
July 20th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Anybody else notice the fly on sumi's fly? Looks rather fly.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_28944807e9a691de6.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=450)

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_28944807e9e8308d6.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=451)

If you click his avatar you'll find some photos.

just strum
July 20th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Anybody else notice the fly on sumi's fly? Looks rather fly.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_28944807e9a691de6.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=450)

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_28944807e9e8308d6.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=451)

If you click his avatar you'll find some photos.

or could it BEE something else? I never saw a fly with antennas, then again I never saw a bee with a helmet or neither with a hand that could waive.

Spudman
July 20th, 2008, 12:44 PM
That's a wasp. Everyone should know that because wasps only have 4 fingers.

just strum
July 20th, 2008, 12:46 PM
That's a wasp. Everyone should know that because wasps only have 4 fingers.

What about Fred Flintstone and his pal Barney?

M29
July 20th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Nope it is a Gummygefadartenstalafrollen. female of course as I do not see a handle:thwap:

M29

just strum
July 20th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Nope it is a Gummygefadartenstalafrollen. female of course as I do not see a handle:thwap:

M29

I use to be a Gummygefadartenstalafrollen handler at the local zoo and you are correct, it is a female.

Where did you hone your knowledge of the Gummygefadartenstalafrollen?

M29
July 20th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Ah...ah...ah I don't know:D

M29

sumitomo
July 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM
My daughter says its name is elly.The photo I have on there now is for shiner.It was taken on my 50th birthday on the coast of Ecuador just a little after New Years these dudes dress as women with ballons for boobs and booty I did not want them close to me but my wife wanted a photo so I was a good sport but I poped one of those boobs with a cig and man was he pissed.Sumi:D

Spudman
July 20th, 2008, 02:45 PM
What about Fred Flintstone and his pal Barney?
WASPS for sure.

just strum
July 20th, 2008, 02:59 PM
WASPS for sure.

Yep, you're probably right.

tot_Ou_tard
August 3rd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Nice to see the JG avatar & quote R O' G!

R_of_G
August 4th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Nice to see the JG avatar & quote R O' G!

It being "Jerry Week" I really had no choice. Every year from Aug 1 (his bday) to Aug 9 (the anniversary of his passing) all I listen to is stuff involving Jerry. I thought in addition to that I'd show a little love here by changing my av & sig combo to reflect my love and respect for Jerry. He was a huge influence on me. It may be 13 years removed from his passing, but it's still a very odd feeling for me for it to be summer and not have a Dead show to be going to see.

tot_Ou_tard
August 4th, 2008, 07:47 AM
It being "Jerry Week" I really had no choice. Every year from Aug 1 (his bday) to Aug 9 (the anniversary of his passing) all I listen to is stuff involving Jerry. I thought in addition to that I'd show a little love here by changing my av & sig combo to reflect my love and respect for Jerry. He was a huge influence on me. It may be 13 years removed from his passing, but it's still a very odd feeling for me for it to be summer and not have a Dead show to be going to see.
Doesn't seem like 13 years to me either.

warren0728
August 4th, 2008, 08:17 AM
wow time flies by.... :thwap:

ww

Gil Janus
August 4th, 2008, 09:22 AM

+1 on that.

I miss Jerry and his music.

Note - there is a lot of music available - but a live show is an experience unto itself. That is what I really miss - being there as the music floats over me and the rest of the audience - taken as a whole, live music is very special.

Gil :cool:

R_of_G
August 4th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Note - there is a lot of music available - but a live show is an experience unto itself. That is what I really miss - being there as the music floats over me and the rest of the audience - taken as a whole, live music is very special.

Absolutely correct. I have a very large collection of live Dead/JGB/etc to listen to, but none of it compares to the memories of the shows I actually saw.

sunvalleylaw
September 23rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
David Algonquin, I like your new PNW Indian artwork in your avatar. Tell me about it. I was a big fan of that style of art as a teen, and studied it a bit in Scouts. It has been a long time since I have known much about that stuff.

P.S., Robert, can I sticky this thread? It comes up every once in a while and was a little hard to search for. (Actally, I just did, subject to your approval). :)

Algonquin
September 23rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks SVL... I've always liked Native Indian artwork as well.

As a kid I'd go with a friend and his parents to various cultural events where this form of artwork was displayed. I really appreciate the exposure it gave me into culture, art, and diversity.

I don't change my Avatar too often, but when I do it sort of reflects the mood I'm currently in.

http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/media/70/native_american_symbols.jpg

I found this current pic online today and it seemed to speak to me. Here's the sites desciption of the piece...

'A Wide Moon mask depicting the four stages of the moon, as well as the ebb and flood tides. The moon serves as one of the Native American symbols in the First Nations Kwakwaka'wakw culture. This moon mask is carved from red cedar and has copper inlays. For more Native American symbols and art pieces see Just Art Gallery in Port McNeill, Northern Vancouver Island.'

Algonquin
September 23rd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Ummm... Spawn, is there a story behind this one? :munch:

Robert
September 23rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Once upon a time, I frequently roamed the swamps in my quest for the perfect wood for a guitar. After some time, my body reacted with the environment, my veins were enlarged as you can see, and my nickname became "Swamp Man".

These days I hang out in the swamps less frequently, and from that previous appearance I had, I now only have the veins left. Well, I don't have much hair either.

sunvalleylaw
September 23rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks SVL... I've always liked Native Indian artwork as well.

As a kid I'd go with a friend and his parents to various cultural events where this form of artwork was displayed. I really appreciate the exposure it gave me into culture, art, and diversity.

I don't change my Avatar too often, but when I do it sort of reflects the mood I'm currently in.

I found this current pic online today and it seemed to speak to me. Here's the sites desciption of the piece...

'A Wide Moon mask depicting the four stages of the moon, as well as the ebb and flood tides. The moon serves as one of the Native American symbols in the First Nations Kwakwaka'wakw culture. This moon mask is carved from red cedar and has copper inlays. For more Native American symbols and art pieces see Just Art Gallery in Port McNeill, Northern Vancouver Island.'

I love that piece. Being from Puget Sound, I love tides, and I was raised with the idea of the Moon's effect on the earth. Very cool piece. The eyes even sort of look like eyes (craters) you can see on the moon.

just strum
September 23rd, 2008, 05:46 PM
...but when I do it sort of reflects the mood I'm currently in.

Which is?

Algonquin
September 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Which is?
Wow... good question (Didn't think anyone would call me out though :thwap: )

I found this piece to exude a sort of calm vibe, but still come across as confident, and that's sort of where I feel I am right now. Native art like this to me, has always represented a balance with nature and life. I've been extremely busy at work for the past few months, but I'm winning the battle and have done a decent job that I can be reasonably happy with. In short (too late), I'm happy where I am in life, and feel content.

Thanks for asking Strummy,
David

just strum
September 23rd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Wow... good question (Didn't think anyone would call me out though :thwap: )

I found this piece to exude a sort of calm vibe, but still come across as confident, and that's sort of where I feel I am right now. Native art like this to me, has always represented a balance with nature and life. I've been extremely busy at work for the past few months, but I'm winning the battle and have done a decent job that I can be reasonably happy with. In short (too late), I'm happy where I am in life, and feel content.

Thanks for asking Strummy,
David

That's good to hear something as positive as that. I was hesitant to ask, but it was out there and someone had to. Usually when someone says something about their mood, but doesn't define it, you or we as humans think someone may be in a foul mood.

It sounds like a good guitar playing mood.

ShortBuSX
September 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Ive been diggin my MIJ Blackie lookin Strat and have been in a big Clapton blues mood lately, so after a jam on Saturday and several beers later I got the inspiration to take this self portrait of me and mah new love.

http://a341.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/62/l_19ad36c4f80468804d09cbfff3e574fc.jpg

Ive always thought this was a really cool album cover...Id kinda like a framed poster of this:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff60/MistyMoonliteLady77/Music%20Stuff/Musicians/Eric%20Clapton/AlbumCovers-EricClapton-Slowhand-1.jpg

thearabianmage
October 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
No one has asked about mine (at least in this thread) but from what I have heard, there is a bit of ambiguity over my avatar, so I thought I'd share:

Anybody ever heard of Spawn? Well, my avatar is a miniature version of a drawing by the great Greg Capullo - one of the greatest under-rated comic book artists. Well, comic book artists in general are under-rated. Not that I read comics much - I just look at the art. But Spawn is the exception. Brilliant - especially once Capullo takes to the pencils and McFarlane does the inking. :drool: :master: :drool:

Back to the avatar: green eyes emanating a green gas with two rows of crooked teeth in the shadows. Sweet. He's not smiling, either, he just has no flesh on his head. Because he's studdly and awesome.

Take it easy

ShortBuSX
October 5th, 2008, 12:43 AM
thearabianmage...Ive always been more interested in your names meaning than your avatar, I always figured your avatar was something like that, but your name has always puzzled me, maybe its simple and its beyond me, but I find myslef always scatching my head wondering.:confused:

Whats a "mage"???

tot_Ou_tard
October 5th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Whats a "mage"???
A magician, but sometimes with a connotation of wisdom or at least great
knowledge: ie a magic sage of sorts.

Algonquin
November 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Ummm... T2TB :wave: , over here.

pes_laul
November 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM
ya know for the longest time I thought your name was the arabian image intsead of arabian mage

sunvalleylaw
November 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Ok Robert, you need to update your sig line now. Which of your guitars did you really sell? And we know you now have a Suhr. Did you sell the Deluxe Player's with the maple neck on?

tot_Ou_tard
November 27th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Robert,

I can't tell if that is your new Suhr or you're just glad to see us.

Spudman
November 27th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Robert,

OMG!

Robert
November 27th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hehe! I'm just glad to see you. :D

just strum
November 27th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Robert,

Tot, you get credit for major laughter.

That boy is sporting some serious wood.

marnold
November 27th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I think that is an actual picture of "the Suhr passing through Calgary." Must be some Swedo-Canadian euphemism that I'm not familiar with.

Algonquin
November 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM
You're a bad boy!

tot_Ou_tard
November 28th, 2008, 07:48 AM
REALLY REALLY glad.

I was jealous until I realized that it was a bolt-on.

warren0728
November 28th, 2008, 08:04 AM
REALLY REALLY glad.

I was jealous until I realized that it was a bolt-on.
now that's funny....i don't care who you are! :pancake: :rotflmao:

just strum
January 11th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Tot, is that a silhouette of an aliens hand in your avatar?

tot_Ou_tard
January 11th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Tot, is that a silhouette of an aliens hand in your avatar?
That's an alien Mojo Hand.

They crawl through your mind like spiders in the night & sometimes they grab you by the balls

& YANK!

It explains quite a bit about how I turned out. ;)

Spudman
January 11th, 2009, 08:29 PM
That's an alien Mojo Hand.

They crawl through your mind like spiders in the night & sometimes they grab you by the balls

& YANK!

It explains quite a bit about how I turned out. ;)

Soprano...right?

tot_Ou_tard
January 11th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Soprano...right?

rnT7nYbCSvM

Ya wanna make sumpin' of it?

Badda-bing!

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM
OK R_o_G,

I just listened to Zony Mash, "Brand Spanking New" while working out. I got home to find your new avatar.

A little bit of 19 in everything. :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
January 27th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Hey Matt (Marnold)! I am trying to read the url on the Luther Rocks git pick in your avatar but can't do it. Can you tell me what it says so I can check it out?

marnold
January 27th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hey Matt (Marnold)! I am trying to read the url on the Luther Rocks git pick in your avatar but can't do it. Can you tell me what it says so I can check it out?
http://www.oldlutheran.com

R_of_G
January 27th, 2009, 10:35 PM
OK R_o_G,

I just listened to Zony Mash, "Brand Spanking New" while working out. I got home to find your new avatar.

A little bit of 19 in everything. :AOK:

Hi Tot. Sorry to not respond sooner but I just saw this. I love that album, particularly "Meet the Z.M." I was on quite the ZM kick last week as I got my hands on a great show from 97 at the Knitting Factory with Zorn and Ribot guesting for the latter half of the second set. Tim Young plus Marc Ribot equals explosive!

Spudman
January 27th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I'm glad you guys mentioned Zony Mash. I'm just checking them out now. Cool stuff.

R_of_G
January 28th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Ah, very cool Spud. It still makes me sad that they are no more, but for the all-too-brief time they recorded, they were a great band. Live they were even better. They have that in-the-pocket tightness of the Meters (important since they derived their name from a Meters song) but brought many other elements to the table as well.

I was lucky enough to see them, in an exceptionally small club, here in Tampa and to get to meet them and hang out with them a bit prior to the show (my friend was good friends with their road manager and helped arrange for them to come to town). They were all very nice and very interesting guys. It was a little hard for me not to be in complete awe of Wayne Horvitz given his participation in John Zorn's Naked City band and my obsession with said band, but his humility and approachability helped a lot.

sunvalleylaw
February 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Spud, I am liking your avatar this week! That rocks!

MCsYDZ2M04M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCsYDZ2M04M

Spudman
February 4th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Spud, I am liking your avatar this week! That rocks!

That was a great time in life.

mcgreggor57
February 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM
My other passion in life.

tot_Ou_tard
March 9th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Izzat Quisp Wacky T?

sunvalleylaw
April 3rd, 2009, 11:18 PM
Hey Spud, who are those goofballs in your new avatar?! ;)

Spudman
April 4th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Hey Spud, who are those goofballs in your new avatar?! ;)

Some guys that getting into trouble.

sunvalleylaw
May 14th, 2009, 11:05 AM
R_of_G, you crack me up! "The Toneslinger" That slays me. I am likely behind the times/dense and have missed it 'til now, but since I just blew through "The Wastelands" and am now getting into the next book, I am more tuned into the beam I guess. ;) :AOK: :D

R_of_G
May 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I like that more people know who Roland of Gilead is. :D

sunvalleylaw
February 5th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Hey Tung, I am curious. Can you tell me about your avatar pic? It looks like a sword hilt. I just finished watching the extended (and extended some more) version of The Lord of the Rings trilogy with my 13 year old, and it is looking like maybe you are sporting the sword that shall be re-forged.

tunghaichuan
February 6th, 2011, 01:11 PM
SVL,

My avatar is Mjolnir, Thor's Hammer. I stole the picture from here:

http://www.jelldragon.com/thors_hammers.htm

My wife gave me the interlaced Thor's Hammer on that site for my birthday a few years ago.

sunvalleylaw
February 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Oh, ok. Very cool!

R_of_G
February 9th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Is it just me or have we lost the ability to change avatars/signatures? I'm positive I've changed mine since the software upgrade, but now I cannot seem to find where to do that. Could be I've not had enough caffeine yet this morning, but I'm open to suggestions.

Spudman
February 9th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Is it just me or have we lost the ability to change avatars/signatures? I'm positive I've changed mine since the software upgrade, but now I cannot seem to find where to do that. Could be I've not had enough caffeine yet this morning, but I'm open to suggestions.

Go to settings and edit avatar. You are then given 2 choices where to load a picture from. Chose one then click save changes.

Let us know if that doesn't work.

Commodore 64
February 9th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I think sigs and avatars are available starting at the Bronze Level of donator. http://www.thefret.net/payments.php

I keep sigs off by default, so I dont' see anyone's sigs. They are the most annoying part of every forum I've ever been a member of.

R_of_G
February 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Go to settings and edit avatar. You are then given 2 choices where to load a picture from. Chose one then click save changes.

Let us know if that doesn't work.

That's where I remember it being but when I go to settings now, it's no longer an option. Perhaps it's a donor level thing now as Commodore64 suggests.

Spudman
February 9th, 2011, 01:21 PM
That's where I remember it being but when I go to settings now, it's no longer an option. Perhaps it's a donor level thing now as Commodore64 suggests.

That is correct. At the base level signatures are turned on. At the top level the lady below is turned on. Anyway, different levels are granted different features.

http://fitness.medicalnut.com/hot-woman-working-out.jpg

R_of_G
February 9th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I wish I'd known that prior to the switch. Had I known my current avatar would be my longtime avatar, perhaps I'd have changed it.

Eric
February 9th, 2011, 04:58 PM
So how about explaining names? Some I understand well enough, but the main question I have is for R_of_G -- what's the story behind your screen name? If it's a reference I'm supposed to get, I will admit to complete ignorance.

Spudman
February 9th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I wish I'd known that prior to the switch. Had I known my current avatar would be my longtime avatar, perhaps I'd have changed it.

You can always contribute. At the base level it's 83 cents per month.

I have now set up the different Supporter level accounts. These are yearly recurring payments via PayPal. Two things.

Go to http://www.thefret.net/payments.php

1. If you made a contribution from December and onwards, please email me at "robert.renman AT gmail dot com" and let me know your username here on theFret, as well as the email you used for the PayPal payment. I will then put you into the Gold Supporter group. Then a year from now, you will be asked to make the payment if you want to stay in the Gold Supporter group.

2. To make this attractive for everyone - until February 22nd, the yearly amounts for each level is only 3, 6 and 10 US dollars. After this date, the amounts will become 10, 15 and 20 US dollars per year. I will leave it up to you if you want to ask me to manually upgrade you, or simply upgrade by making another payment.

This will bring in some needed funds for forum maintenance, upgrade of server, etc. For example, we were forced to add 2 GB of RAM to the server, since the new version of the forum is more resource-intensive.

Thanks for the support guys! Any questions or problems, fire away.

oldguy
February 9th, 2011, 05:18 PM
You can always contribute. At the base level it's 83 cents per month.

True, but if done before the 22nd that will get one the gold level for a year. :AOK

Spudman
February 9th, 2011, 07:43 PM
True, but if done before the 22nd that will get one the gold level for a year. :AOK

Can't beat that with a maple neck.

R_of_G
February 10th, 2011, 06:49 AM
So how about explaining names? Some I understand well enough, but the main question I have is for R_of_G -- what's the story behind your screen name? If it's a reference I'm supposed to get, I will admit to complete ignorance.

It's a reference to the protagonist in Stephen King's Dark Tower series of books, Roland of Gilead.

Incidentally, at least one other Fretter references a character in that series in their name or member title. See if you can guess which one.

Eric
February 10th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Incidentally, at least one other Fretter references a character in that series in their name or member title. See if you can guess which one.
Wikipedia seems to be telling me it's Robert, yes?

R_of_G
February 10th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Correct. It's Robert. Cuthbert Allgood is another Dark Tower character.