PDA

View Full Version : Warm toned strings

Tone2TheBone
February 15th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I want to pick the brains of the Washburn contingency here. What brand of strings would I need to give a bright Sitka Spruce topped guitar a nice complimenting warm tone? I find that lately my Elixir Nanowebs are too bright. Any good suggestions?

strumsalot
February 15th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I want to pick the brains of the Washburn contingency here. What brand of strings would I need to give a bright Sitka Spruce topped guitar a nice complimenting warm tone? I find that lately my Elixir Nanowebs are too bright. Any good suggestions?
Try D'Addario Flat Tops (http://www.daddario.com/DADProducts.aspx?ID=2&CLASS=ABQA). Warm, mellow and not a lot of finger noise.

Tone2TheBone
February 15th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for replying Chad I'll give those a try. Do you use them?

strumsalot
February 15th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for replying Chad I'll give those a try. Do you use them?
I do, but not on every guit.

I think D'Addario's description about not loosing any tone or sustain is true, however I think you do lose a little volume compared to the same guage in PB's. Everyone that I know that uses them, loves them.

luvmyshiner
February 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I'm with Chad on this one. I currently have the extra-light flat tops on three of my guitars and I absolutely love them. Not only is the tone warm and mellow, they are easy on the old fingertips.

Tone2TheBone
February 15th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate your recommendation.

Cal
February 15th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Me too.

I now have D'Addario Flat Tops (EFT16 lights) on both my Dreadnought and Parlor guitars. Love 'em. :AOK:

Cal

tjcurtin1
February 15th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I've gotten hooked on Dean Markley Acoustic Alchemy GoldPhos strings (lights). They are both warm and rich sounding on my cedar top, and also give it more volume. They are also coated and last a long time.

Dreadman
February 15th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Coated strings are a little mellower too - plus they last a long time.

Dreadman
February 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Oh yeah, if you're looking for warmth and don't mind trading a little volume then a hardwood saddle is just the ticket. I've made them from ebony, rosewood and maple and they all provide a slightly different shade of warmth. Very pleasant sounds but they do wear a bit quicker.

Skip77
February 16th, 2008, 09:00 AM
In my beginnger ventures I have migrated toward heavier string gauges because I like the feel and find them easier on my fingers vs the popular position that hard tension hurts more. I find thin gauges more painful because the treble strings feel like they are about to cut into my fingers.

In the course of this part of journey I have notices that heavier gauge strings produce more volume and fatter more mellow tone at the same time. I know that changing string gauge is more complicated than it appears because it can affect intonation. Some players are concerned too that higher accompanying tension will accelerate bulging below bridge or cracking in top etc. Can some of you more experienced guys confirm my observation? Have you noticed string gauge effecting timber of notes as well as volume?