PDA

View Full Version : Little Wing - who did it better?

Born2Run
February 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Derek and the Dominoes, SRV, or Jimi?

I used to favor Jimi, now I think I prefer the D&D version.

marnold
February 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I've never heard the D&D version. Hendrix's gets kudos for the original, but SRV really took it and made it his own. I probably like the SRV version best.

hubberjub
February 15th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I have to agree. I think the SRV version is beautiful.

Justaguyin_nc
February 15th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I have to agree. I think the SRV version is beautiful.

+1

But Derek and the Dominoes sure played country good..

Q1fXhLVaBBY

Around 4:58 it really gets good with extra Geeetar player..

t_ross33
February 15th, 2008, 02:09 PM
SRV for the shear beauty and emotion he pours into it. Monte Montgomery for innovation.

P.S. Cool clip Justa! I was just drinking Budweisers and watching the Best of the Johnny Cash Show DVD this past Saturday night with a good buddy on his 52" HD LCD screen TV :dude: and that D&D song was on there.

warren0728
February 15th, 2008, 02:15 PM
clapton definately went through a country and western phase.....think "wonderful tonight" and yeah in the video above.....around 4:58 carl tore it up....

as for little wing...the songs are all interpreted so differently its hard to choose....i think i would have to say srv just because it helped show how versatile a player he really was....not everything was wide open "if this house is rockin'" music....

ww

Vihar
February 15th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Out of the suggested three, I like Stevie's verison the best. He's not sloppy on it at all, and great tone, lots of soul.

Now my absolute favourite version is this one:

M56QwDjE6PQ

Bloozcat
February 15th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I have to go with Hendrix, because there wouldn't have been a Little Wing for the others to copy later without the original. I really like SRV's version, but he did have the benefit of the original to compare himself to.

The only version I remember Clapton doing was at the Concert For Bangladesh. Was there another version?

warren0728
February 15th, 2008, 02:47 PM
he did it with derek and the dominoes i think it was on the "layla and other assorted lovesongs" cd....don't know if there is a video performance of it....

ww

R_of_G
February 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Jimi, because he wrote it. Some of the many many covers are nice, SRV's is downright awesome, but in the end Jimi's sounds the truest to me because it's his creation. Much as I love D&D, their version was never one I really cared too much for.

sunvalleylaw
February 15th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Jimi wrote it, but SRV did it better in my opinion. SRV was the one to draw me to that style of music also. And now I can go back and appreciate what Jimi did. I am glad I don't have to listen to just one though.

Jimi75
February 15th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Hendrix Hendrix Hendrix

Katastrophe
February 15th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Put my vote in for Hendrix... SRV and the others did a beautiful job with the tune, but you can tell that Jimi put his heart and soul into that tune.

Robert
February 15th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Hendrix Hendrix Hendrix - of course - don't me get started... :)

sunvalleylaw
February 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Hendrix Hendrix Hendrix - of course - don't me get started... :)

Hmmm. I think Robert did it better. ;) :D

sumitomo
February 15th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Im still having a flashback after watching that Woodstock vid Hendrix gets my vote.Sumi

hubberjub
February 15th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I know Jimi wrote the tune but I think SRV improved on it. I never cared for the lyrics. It's like how Dylan wrote All Along the Watchtower but Jimi made it a hit. The guy was a revolutionary guitar player but at times he was just too sloppy. (Let the hurling of rotten tomatoes commence.)

Robert
February 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I've got my basket of tomatoes ready... where are you!? :mad: :) :D

SMACK! Got ya!

just strum
February 15th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I'm going with Hendrix, but SRV is a very, very close second.

sunvalleylaw
February 15th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I'm going with Hendrix, but SRV is a very, very close second.

Ahh Strum, you're just scared of the tomatoes! ;)

just strum
February 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Ahh Strum, you're just scared of the tomatoes! ;)

Ok, I'll admit it played a part in my decision making.

duhvoodooman
February 15th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Not surprisingly, my favorite version is SRV's. While I think he improved upon Hendrix' performance of the song, you have to recognize Jimi's incredible genius in writing it. Plenty of credit to go around for all!! :dude: :rockon:

mrmudcat
February 16th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Wow here is a list of artists who covered this .I like the Pantera version myself.Ok I meant the classic version by the Meat Puppets,Sting????:thwap::D

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Gov't Mule
moe.
Sting
The Corrs
Cássia Eller
Pearl Jam
Metallica
Eric Clapton (Derek and the Dominos)
Charly Garcia
Steve Lukather
Gil Evans
Bill Perry
Kingston Wall
Pantera
Concrete Blonde
Steve Vai
Tak Matsumoto
Skid Row
Monte Montgomery
Sepultura
John Mayer
Adam and the Johnnys
Yngwie Malmsteen
Joanna Newsom
Bad Haggis
Widespread Panic
Frederic Yonnet, jazz harmonica player
Ottmar Liebert, Nuevo-Flamenco guitarist
Nigel Kennedy
Marty Friedman
Sanne Salomonsen (with Chris Minh Doky)
Def Leppard
Yavuz Çetin, Turkish guitarist
Meat Puppets
Junior Brown
Sean Lennon
Pappo(Spanish version)

Seriously Govt mule does a good cover also.

Jimi ...........Stevie......................:confused:

Kazz
February 16th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I would love to check out the SRV version....anyone have a link?

just strum
February 16th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I would love to check out the SRV version....anyone have a link?

here are some youtube clips

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=SRV+little+wing&search=Search

Bloozcat
February 16th, 2008, 12:12 PM
he did it with derek and the dominoes i think it was on the "layla and other assorted lovesongs" cd....don't know if there is a video performance of it....

ww

Yep, it's on the Layla album alright.

Man, I've got to dig my old vinyl albums out more often and give 'em a spin. I'd forgotten that they did Little Wing on that album.

Iago
February 16th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Jimi not only was the genius to write it, but also had the sensibility to not go over the top and repeat the solo a zillion times...

Clapton has credit for trying something different. Not just turning it into a endless "guitar-hero" instrumental, like SRV's version.

Jimi75
February 16th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Jimi not only was the genius to write it, but also had the sensibility to not go over the top and repeat the solo a zillion times...

Clapton has credit for trying something different. Not just turning it into a endless "guitar-hero" instrumental, like SRV's version.

+1
Further to that the lyrics are pretty important as Jimi is relating to his late mother in this song. You can't just use this to solo over - Little Wing must be treated respectfully.

R_of_G
February 19th, 2008, 09:12 AM
+1
Further to that the lyrics are pretty important as Jimi is relating to his late mother in this song. You can't just use this to solo over - Little Wing must be treated respectfully.

great points from both of you. so many people are willing to negate Jimi as a lyricist. In some cases I can see it, but a LOT of his lyrics get overlooked. Those in Little Wing are a great example of the latter.

I have no prob with SRV's version, but again, the heart of his version is still Jimi's original song, and without the lyrics it's pretty, but not quite the whole song. I do appreciate that D&D rearranged it, but I hate their arrangement and the singing on it could drive me up a wall.

Tone2TheBone
February 19th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Love most versions but again I go with Jimi's. Gotta have that little "ding" in there.

Jimi75
February 20th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Love most versions but again I go with Jimi's. Gotta have that little "ding" in there.

It was a Glockenspiel wasn't it, or was it a Triangle?

R_of_G
February 20th, 2008, 08:43 AM

it's always sounded like a glockenspiel to me, but i don't know for sure

Tone2TheBone
February 20th, 2008, 09:18 AM

I think it was the 'spiel too.