PDA

View Full Version : Another Washburn Refugee!

Cal
February 15th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Hi, another Washburn refugee here!

Big thanks to Childbride and just strum for recommending The Fret. net.

I've spent most of my working life overseas (Middle East) in Civil Engineering Contracting as Land Surveyor, Senior Site Engineer and Senior Planning Engineer. For my sins I'm currently working as a DBA with an electrical goods designer/supplier (it's a whole lot different to civil engineering) back in the UK again. I am Scottish but I'm working in England.

I picked up on guitar again about 18 months ago (after a 10 year break). I've always had great fun with guitar and moothies (Scottish for harmonicas) but have always been a guitar BEGINNER. I'm working on leaving "beginner" status. :)

My main hobbies are Advanced Driving, Music (listening, learning, playing, whatever) and being married. On the latter I've had three goes plus one long term relationship and am currently taking a break. I still get on well with all my past loves.

I currently own two Washburns, one 2004 Dreadnought D13S and one 2006 Parlor R308S and love them both.

Hey, too much information already!

BTW... what does "Pancakes!" mean?

warren0728
February 15th, 2008, 02:03 PM
welcome cal....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Robert
February 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Welcome Cal! :)

Any and all "pancake" questions should be directed to Warren.... ask him why.

piebaldpython
February 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Hey cal,
Welcome aboard and nice to see ya again!! :D

warren0728
February 15th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Any and all "pancake" questions should be directed to Warren.... ask him why.
the answer is buried somewhere deep in a thread on this forum....i don't remember which one....you can search for it but be careful what you ask for! :thwap:

ww

oldguy
February 15th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Cal. Glad you joined us!:beer:

Adrian30
February 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Welcome Cal, very nice to have you here.

strumsalot
February 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Hey brother, good to see you here!:bravo:

mrmudcat
February 15th, 2008, 03:00 PM
welcome:master:

ted s
February 15th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Welcome Cal ! Nice to "meet" you.
Can you tell us more about advanced driving ?

Cal
February 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Many thanks for the welcomes folks, this IS a really friendly place! :D

Hey, ted s... read the Advanced Driving (http://www.cal.buck.btinternet.co.uk/ADRframeset.html) page of my amateur little website (last updated 2 years ago :rolleyes: ) and please bear in mind that it's UK based. The text is still OK but the books need updating... I'll do that soon (ish).

Peace, Love and Light.
Cal

Childbride
February 15th, 2008, 04:48 PM
[grin]

hiya, Cal... good to 'see' you here. :D

this place is awesome. great folks with TONS of knowledge and support.

i'm glad you 'came to visit'! :beer: :dude: :AOK:

just strum
February 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Cal,

Hey buddy, good to see you over here. You are going to like it. You will need to kick start the acoustic section again, but I'm sure you can get it done. One of the differences over here is that you feel comfortable in any section you visit.

Spudman
February 15th, 2008, 05:54 PM
We're going to have to start some kind of immigration policy or something. :D

Welcome to thefret. Can I borrow $20?

just strum
February 15th, 2008, 06:15 PM
We're going to have to start some kind of immigration policy or something. :D

Welcome to thefret. Can I borrow $20?

You mean like free Strats for ex-Washies? :bravo:

luvmyshiner
February 15th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Hey Cal, good to see ya' brother. I'll think you'll enjoy the good folks over here.

By the way Spud, I think you'll have to build a fence or something to keep us out.:beer:

sumitomo
February 15th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Yea welcome Cal Im the same,I put down playing for 8 yrs never sold my gear that Ive had over 18 yrs just getting out of the beginner rut.I race cars also Autocross and Track days.Ive found tons of good stuff here and I play lots more Good humor here also.Sumi

Dreadman
February 15th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Hey there Cal, welcome.

I don't think I ever knew that you did site engineering or were that into driving (although I think you posted a pic of cool car). Learn something new all the time.

sunvalleylaw
February 15th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Welcome Cal! Nice to have you here.

Kazz
February 16th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Welcome Cal ! Nice to "meet" you.
Can you tell us more about advanced driving ?

Thats what they call it since they drive on the wrong side of the road.

tot_Ou_tard
February 16th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Thats what they call it since they drive on the wrong side of the road.:rotflmao:

Welcome Cal!

Sections?!? I've never thought of living in a section of the Fret.

It's easier if you just use the New Posts link & just read whatever title strikes your fancy...or *all* of'em if you are like many of us crazies ;).

M29
February 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Welcome Cal:AOK:

M29

duhvoodooman
February 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Cal! We're glad to have you here! :AOK:

BTW, is there anybody left over there at Washburn?? :eek: ;)

strumsalot
February 17th, 2008, 08:13 PM
BTW, is there anybody left over there at Washburn?? :eek: ;) The moderator and a couple of his friends.

Childbride
February 17th, 2008, 09:00 PM
o, DANG... snap. :master: :D

evil kimmie wanted to say that sooo badly but good Kimmie couldn't do it. :rotflmao:

Cal
February 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks again for EVEN MORE welcomes. :D WOW, what a really friendly place this is! :)

I like the humor, and I have a confession to make... I just made a post "back there." :o

strumsalot and Childbride: :rotflmao:

Kazz: Right side of the pond... we chastise folk for driving on the RIGHT side of the road because it's the WRONG side of the road. :confused: :thwap:

Brian Krashpad
February 18th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Another Washout, and a Scot at that!

Ceud mìle fÃ*ilte!

And yes I looked that bit up, but to my surprise it was almost identical to the Irish version.

Whereaboot in Blighty are ye laddie?

Cal
February 18th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Another Washout, and a Scot at that!

Ceud mìle fÃ*ilte!

And yes I looked that bit up, but to my surprise it was almost identical to the Irish version.

Whereaboot in Blighty are ye laddie?Pass on the gaelic Brian (even though that's all my favorite Grannie could speak before she went to school). I never learned it... you'll have to enlighten me.

I'm currently in West Bromwich (near Birmingham).

just strum
February 18th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Cal! We're glad to have you here! :AOK:

BTW, is there anybody left over there at Washburn?? :eek: ;)

Don't know, all I can say is this place kicks butt compared to the current W.

It's been said a number of times, when you compare this place (thefret) to the other guitar forums, this is one of the better, if not best place to talk guitar and have an enjoyable time joking with good people. The ones that crossed over from the W are what made that forum good at one time. Well, except for me, I'm a bad egg.

Cal
February 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM
The ones that crossed over from the W are what made that forum good at one time. Well, except for me, I'm a bad egg.Strummy, you are one of the best and definitely NOT a bad egg.
Maybe just a little crazy... http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-023.gif

just strum
February 18th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Strummy, you are one of the best and definitely NOT a bad egg.
Maybe just a little crazy... http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-023.gif

Ok, maybe a cracked egg:D

mrmudcat
February 18th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Cracked and fried;) or is that sunny side up!!:bootyshake:

Brian Krashpad
February 19th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Pass on the gaelic Brian (even though that's all my favorite Grannie could speak before she went to school). I never learned it... you'll have to enlighten me.

"Ceud mìle fÃ*ilte" is a hundred thousand welcomes. I saw it in Ireland a lot (during a brief visit some 14 years ago), in Irish Gaelic it's almost the same. Until I looked up "Scottish welcome" yesterday I didn't know it was Scots as well.

:beer:

YerDugliness
February 19th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Cal, old pal--good to see you here, too! I see I've missed your party, too....got busy with some retirement and family issues and haven't had time to frequent the fret much lately, but.....

Welcome!

As others have said, there's quite the fellowship here, you'll find yourself welcomed by all! And, needless to say, lots of familiar names, too...

Be seein' ya' around the fret!

Dugly :cool:

just strum
February 19th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Cracked and fried;) or is that sunny side up!!:bootyshake:

Sunny side up, of course.:D

Donny
February 19th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I fit right into this mold, good to see you Cal, Piebald, Chad, Mudcat! MARK! You got me here, bud lol. Hello new friends to meet. I have several Washburn guitars, but I am not exclusive, kinda like cheating on the spouse? lol My favorite is a Giannini AWN61, solid Rosewood B/S and solid Spruce top, classical 24" scale. Made in 1979, I got her recently as new old stock at the ripe old age of 29 (the guitars, not mine. I pass that LONG ago lol ) So I aptly named her , since she had never been strummed.....My Virginia. I also have collected a couple Fairmont guitars, dreadnaughts and fine sounding, solid rosewood for dirt cheap! I got them on Ebay, one for $200 and the other for $90! Love getting a deal on no name and finding out just what a bargain I got! Good to see all my old guitar talking friends here. Looking forward to meeting some new friends :beer:

strumsalot
February 20th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I fit right into this mold, good to see you Cal, Piebald, Chad, Mudcat! MARK! You got me here, bud lol. Hello new friends to meet. I have several Washburn guitars, but I am not exclusive, kinda like cheating on the spouse? lol My favorite is a Giannini AWN61, solid Rosewood B/S and solid Spruce top, classical 24" scale. Made in 1979, I got her recently as new old stock at the ripe old age of 29 (the guitars, not mine. I pass that LONG ago lol ) So I aptly named her , since she had never been strummed.....My Virginia. I also have collected a couple Fairmont guitars, dreadnaughts and fine sounding, solid rosewood for dirt cheap! I got them on Ebay, one for $200 and the other for $90! Love getting a deal on no name and finding out just what a bargain I got! Good to see all my old guitar talking friends here. Looking forward to meeting some new friends :beer:
Good to see you too Donny!:beer:

mrmudcat
February 20th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Welcome,Donny make a proper introduction thread eveyone is cool :bravo:

just strum
February 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I fit right into this mold, good to see you Cal, Piebald, Chad, Mudcat! MARK! You got me here, bud lol. Hello new friends to meet.

Donny, good to see you. Start a new thread and post a little introduction (I guess you already did that here) - just cut and paste it to a new thread.

I'm glad you decided to sign up, I was beginning to wonder if you would show up. Based on your project activity and mechanical talent, I think you will enjoy the mod section a lot.