PDA

View Full Version : Mic for Acoustic Guitar recorded on pc

Skip77
February 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Friends, if this topic has appeared previously, please pardon my repeat. I searched a bit in this section for such a topic and didn't find one exactly dealing with the basic question: Can anyone recommend the easiest and most affordable mic that can be plugged into the pc usb port and used for recording acoustic guitar?

Currently, I use the internal mic on my pc video cam - it's ok but pretty crude. I have bought other mics for pc that are only intended for computer use, like chat etc... but they did not work very well. I need something a little more designed for picking up acoustic guitar but pluggable to pc - any suggestions?

Spudman
February 16th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I think they are coming out with mics that might plug directly into a USB but you'll be much better off if you find an interface with phantom power. That way you can get really good quality condenser mics and a reliable interface that also has other uses.

Skip77
February 16th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Spudman, what do you mean by "phantom power"?

Spudman
February 16th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Spudman, what do you mean by "phantom power"?

Good condenser mics require power. Phantom power is 48 volts usually either supplied by battery or the device the mic is plugged in to.

Skip77
February 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I found a website discussing the least expensive method to record good sound quality for guitar, on pc. I was stupid and did not save the site to favorites. It talked about needing a sound card with external jacks so that you could plug your mic directly into the sound card. I thought even what they described as "simplest" method, seemed complicated, which is why I didn't save the page. I believe there must be a simpler way to do it. I've seen guys on youtube that have a little mic in the sound hole of their guitars and it seems to pickup quite well. Maybe they did have it conncected to a soundcard etc, but I don't know. I saw more on this here at TF so I guess I'll have to look closer. Thanks for your help.

Jipes
February 16th, 2008, 10:05 AM
If you want to have great results as Spudman says you would have to pass through an interface and you can use for example T Bone SCT 2000 microphone which is a very nice and affordable microphone
http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_sct2000popkiller.htm

If your budget is very limited you can directly buy a USB microphone
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810

I think teh sennheiser is also good (sorry i only found it in french)
http://www.conrad.fr/micro_usb_postcadt_mpod_p_18780_18834_535731

Jipes

strumsalot
February 16th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Skip, they make condenser mics that plug directly into your PC. I've never used one and haven't heard how well they work. I suggest getting a firewire or usb interface that has phantom power. You can start with a good large diaphragm condenser for in front of the guit, and later on, add a small diaphragm condenser for above the neck. Most of these interfaces will accept more than one mic or line and allow you to mix the channels. The biggest plus is that they come with a headphone jack so you can fine tune mic placement.

Skip77
February 16th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks strum... can you recommend a brand or model of such an interface? I'm going to try the $40 Samson condenser mic with usb jack and software as a start. It is supposed to work with decent results that might be a big improvement over the internal mic on my pc cam... my next step can be the interface that you suggest, and if necessary, a adapter that will allow the usb jack from this mic to plug into whatever kind of connections it requires.

Skip77
February 16th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I was wrong. The usb mic by Samson (C01U) cannot plug into the interface. It is designed for pc usb port only. I think it will serve my purposes well enough since I'm not performing for anyone from home other than the internet crowd. Before I order I will check out the interfaces first. If not too expensive, I'll go that route. Also, the price mentioned previously is only for the mount. I think the mic is in the neighborhood of $100. They bundle it in a step-up kit with Cakewalk Sonar LE and other accessories. I see these kits in ebay for just over $100. Might go that route. Thanks again.

Jipes
February 16th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I was wrong. The usb mic by Samson (C01U) cannot plug into the interface. It is designed for pc usb port only. I think it will serve my purposes well enough since I'm not performing for anyone from home other than the internet crowd. Before I order I will check out the interfaces first. If not too expensive, I'll go that route. Also, the price mentioned previously is only for the mount. I think the mic is in the neighborhood of $100. They bundle it in a step-up kit with Cakewalk Sonar LE and other accessories. I see these kits in ebay for just over $100. Might go that route. Thanks again.

My interface is a mBox delivered with Pro Tools LE software. I did all my recordings with that set up (with the T Bone mic) and I'm very happy with it;)

jipes

Skip77
February 16th, 2008, 10:49 AM
jipes, can you point me in a direction where I can look at the mbox/Tbone mic set up with chance to buy?

Jipes
February 16th, 2008, 11:17 AM
jipes, can you point me in a direction where I can look at the mbox/Tbone mic set up with chance to buy?

I gave you the link for the T Bone microphone earlier in the thread as for the mBox they don't sell it any longer but they have a newer version mBox2 you have to buy it from Digidesign (http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=29&langid=100&itemid=4893) or even maybe on EBay if you want an oldmBox as a cheaper choice (http://cgi.ebay.com/MBOX-Digidesign-with-Pro-Tools-LE-7-M-box-Protools_W0QQitemZ280200140265QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4 1784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) quality is very good

Skip77
February 16th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Sorry jipes - I see it now. I checked out the links and searched for more mbox items in ebay. Looks like a pretty good kit. I'll go up to that as a next step if the Samson condenser usb mic w/Cakewalk Sonar LE is less than adequate for my needs. Picked up a kit in ebay for $89 w/free shipping. I'll rate/review this product here in the forum after testing it out. Thanks again for your help and information. Mbox looks like a very good setup.

Jipes
February 16th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Sorry jipes - I see it now. I checked out the links and searched for more mbox items in ebay. Looks like a pretty good kit. I'll go up to that as a next step if the Samson condenser usb mic w/Cakewalk Sonar LE is less than adequate for my needs. Picked up a kit in ebay for $89 w/free shipping. I'll rate/review this product here in the forum after testing it out. Thanks again for your help and information. Mbox looks like a very good setup.

No worries Beater boy ;) I must say it's an easy set up and very functionnal you plug the cable from the T Bone box (the mic is Tube driven ) into the XLR input of the mBox and Ride on :D :AOK:

I use it since 5 years and never had any trouble with it ! The Pro tools software is a bit complicated because it's so powerful but recording a track requires very little setup time !

Don't hesitate to ask questions if I can be from any help

Skip77
February 16th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks jipes.

TS808
February 17th, 2008, 09:02 AM

I'm using an M-Audio Mobile Pre USB Audio interface. It has phantom power, 2 1/4" jacks, and 2 mic jacks too. You can find them on ebay used, or just pick up a new one. For a good recording mic, definitely the Shure SM-57.

I'm using the audio interface with Sonar Home Studio 4 XL. I just ordered the upgrade to Sonar Home Studio 6 XL. I'm using an M-Audio Ozone MIDI keyboard which plugs right into a USB port and serves as a MIDI interface too.

These have served me pretty well for my needs.

Skip77
February 17th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks TS

Jampy
February 26th, 2008, 09:52 AM
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/SessionMusicProducer-main.html

Just thought i would toss this into the mix, I am a HUGE M-Audio Fan so this may be a all-in-one solution for you for under $100.00

sunvalleylaw
February 26th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I am using my Shure SM57 into my Toneport. More expensive than the above for sure if you do not own a mic or the Toneport, but it is using things I already have, and that work for me for other purposes like mic'ing my amph, or using the line in for the rest of the Toneport/Gearbox stuff with my electric.