PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Fret Capo

Skip77
February 16th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I understand that performers place capo to change guitar pitch so that it harmonizes more naturally with their voices, or vice versa. I have never used a capo but wonder if someone can explain all the benefits and uses?

Also, I have noticed many guitarists that do not sing, playing purely solo, with capo placed at 2nd fret. Why do they do this?

Spudman
February 16th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Some acoustic guitars are easier to play and fit the singer's voice when they are tuned down a step or so. In order to play in another key they need a capo placed somewhere on the neck. Also, when using a capo it allows you to play with open chords in other keys and that gives a song a whole different flavor. You can also change tunings just by using the capo on 2 or 3 strings depending on how the guitar is tuned.

Skip77
February 16th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks Spudman. So does that mean depending on a particular song, placing capo might make the song easier to play, such as changing fingering patterns to more open strings? If that is the case it might explain why I see so many guitarists using capo at 2nd/3rd frets, as you suggested.

strumsalot
February 16th, 2008, 10:26 AM
So does that mean depending on a particular song, placing capo might make the song easier to play?
Yep. My wife loves to sing in the Key of Eb. So that's capo on the first fret and playing in the much easier Key of D.

marnold
February 16th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I was looking at a particular song and couldn't understand why they would use a capo. Then I realized that by putting a capo on the third fret, you could use chords that were much easier to play.

In this case (the song was "Away in a Manger" FWIW) if you didn't use a capo, the chords would be D, F#m, B, Em, A, and A7. Not impossible, but the F#m and B add an extra degree of difficulty. With a capo on the third fret, you could play F, Am, D, Gm, C, C7. The only "tricky" one there is the C7, which you only play once so it's not a big deal.

Skip77
February 16th, 2008, 10:48 AM
thanks marnold - that helps clarify my understanding. I get it. Obviously, some chord changes are more difficult than others and I see now that the capo can change that for the better in certain cases.

Does anyone know if there is a webpage that contains some kind of chart that suggests when to use the capo, where to place it and resulting chord changes?

marnold
February 16th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I accidentally deleted my message. Grrr.

The chords with a capo would be F, Am, D, Gm, C, C7. Without a capo would be D, F#m, B, Em, A, A7. The more I look at this though, I think I might have the chords reversed. I've just confused myself. If I had a capo I'd check it out. My point stands, though. Sometimes I capo makes the chord fingerings easier.

I need more coffee.

t_ross33
February 16th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I used to use a capo extensively cuz I was too dumb or too lazy to learn how to properly barre chords - :rotflmao: and needed to get into a key that I knew the chords for and would also match my meager vocal range/ability.

All kidding aside, I think open strings and chords ring out better on an acoustic than barred fingerings, so a capo comes in handy. It also changes the timbre when you play, say, an open G chord with a capo on the 5th fret (I think it would be a C then??).

Play around with it and see what you can come up with.

Trev

wingsdad
February 16th, 2008, 11:31 AM
It's all about the chord 'voicing'; Play an open E chord, no capo. Then capo at II and play a D chord or capo at VII and play an A (as you would in Open position). Compare the sound of the chord.

Kyser Capos come in a variety of types, even a 'Drop-D' and a 3-String 'Short Cut':
Kyser Quick Change Capos (http://www.kysermusical.com/home.php?cat=24)

Skip77
February 16th, 2008, 11:46 AM
WD - thanks. I saved the Kyser site to my git folder. I have never used a capo but have one that came with a git I got at a yard sale. I always liked the spring clamp type made by Kyser. Found the page hard to get pricing for items. Is there a trick to that? I'm sure business is lost because pricing and ordering is not simple the way their page is setup.

tjcurtin1
February 16th, 2008, 12:25 PM
There are a number of good indications of use of capo in Harvey Reid and Joyce Andersen's 'Song Train' book (a great collection of 2-chord songs performed on accompaniying cd's, mentioned here in another thread). Harvery Reid is apparently the/a big developer/promoter of the use of partial capo's (also discussed in the book).

Skip77
February 16th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks TJ - interesting. Will check it out.

wingsdad
February 17th, 2008, 01:03 PM
...I always liked the spring clamp type made by Kyser. Found the page hard to get pricing for items. Is there a trick to that? I'm sure business is lost because pricing and ordering is not simple the way their page is setup.
There's no pricing because they don't sell direct. You can find Kyser's capos LifeGuard acoustic guitar humidifiers and Dr. Stringfellow care stuff at online retailers like Musician's "Friend" or your nearest equally 'friendly' Guitar Center:
Kyser Products at MF (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=Kyser)

merlin
February 25th, 2008, 12:43 AM
OK, here is a capo question that has been bothering me lately. I do not have a music theory background and I think this would fall in that category.

When you use a capo why do we still call the chords by the same name as we would without a capo? Since there is a capo on wouldn't that change a chord?

example: with the capo on the second fret playing a A chord is the same as a B chord with no capo on. So why don't we call it a B chord?

Is this just to make it simple? I would think this would make a difference if you are trying to play with a group in a certain key.

I hope I have explained my question correctly.

Rocket
February 25th, 2008, 04:24 AM
K-I-S-S methodology!
I call it what it is... a chord is the sound of the chord, not the visual of finger position. Bmaj is a Bmaj is a Bmaj.

Dreadman
February 25th, 2008, 05:16 AM
A couple more uses of a capo - I keep a lot of guitars tuned down a half step. If I'm playing with someone who's guitar is tuned to concert pitch I just put the capo on the first fret and we're tuned alike.

Also very handy for working on guitars. One example would be if you're working on an acoustic saddle you can put velcro across the strings near the bridge and a capo at the first fret to keep the strings neat for quick saddle removal and re-installation.

Dreadman
February 25th, 2008, 05:20 AM
K-I-S-S methodology!
I call it what it is... a chord is the sound of the chord, not the visual of finger position. Bmaj is a Bmaj is a Bmaj.Clearly the best way - but you've got to actually understand some music theory to get the names right. :D :D

merlin
February 25th, 2008, 01:19 PM
K-I-S-S methodology!
I call it what it is... a chord is the sound of the chord, not the visual of finger position. Bmaj is a Bmaj is a Bmaj.

Rocket, I am having trouble following you.
So, do we call these chords the same just to keep it simple or should we call the chords by how they sound?
If you are playing with a band wouldn't you need to know the chord by sound and not finger formation?

Rocket
February 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Close your eyes.
The chord is the sound of the chord... if it sounds like a Bmaj, it's a Bmaj.

just strum
February 25th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Rocket said something similar to me a while back and at first I thought he was nuts. Stop looking at your fingers, trust your muscle memory and your ears. Now as a beginner that seems difficult, but push yourself to do it and the notes and chords will become clearer and cleaner.

If they don't, tell the drummer to play louder.

merlin
February 25th, 2008, 04:29 PM
OK Rocket, let me try to ask this differently.

With the capo on the 2nd fret a (A) chord sounds like a (B) chord with no capo. So what is it a (A) chord or a (B) chord.
I am not trying to be difficult I am just trying to understand this.

Rocket
February 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM
You answered your own question... sounds like a Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj.

Doesn't matter how many ways you ask the question... still Bmaj.

merlin
February 25th, 2008, 05:08 PM
OK Rocket,
I am going to back away from the computer because I am confused.

t_ross33
February 25th, 2008, 05:41 PM
OK, here is a capo question that has been bothering me lately. I do not have a music theory background and I think this would fall in that category.

When you use a capo why do we still call the chords by the same name as we would without a capo? Since there is a capo on wouldn't that change a chord?

example: with the capo on the second fret playing a A chord is the same as a B chord with no capo on. So why don't we call it a B chord?

Is this just to make it simple? I would think this would make a difference if you are trying to play with a group in a certain key.

I hope I have explained my question correctly.

You need to look at it in terms of "What Works For Me". Many tab/chord sites will indicate something like Capo at 2nd Fret and then call out the chords by their chord-shapes. So clamp that puppy on and play G, C, D (even though you are actually in the key of A). If you are in the comfort of your living room, who cares what you call it, as long as it sounds right.

When you get together to jam with other musicians, THEN you need to know where you are at. If someone calls out a song in the key of A with a F# minor, you can clamp on your trusty capo on the 2nd fret and follow along in "G" and an open Em fingering for the minor chord.

Hope that makes sense. That's how I learned to play anyway (not saying it's right - just that it's what I figured out on my own so it works for me).

Trev

Cal
February 25th, 2008, 05:53 PM
With the capo on the 2nd fret a (A) chord sounds like a (B) chord with no capo. So what is it a (A) chord or a (B) chord.
I am not trying to be difficult I am just trying to understand this.Just to keep the confusion going Merlin... I'll have a go.

It is a B chord (but because you've put the capo on the 2nd fret you only need to use an open A chord shape [pretending the capo is the nut] to play and sound a B chord).

Hope that makes sense... if not let's just have a beer. :beer:

Cal
February 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Whoops, sorry Trev!

I left the computer in the middle of my last post... so didn't see your reply. :thwap: