PDA

View Full Version : Sweet tube gain

Radioboy950
February 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM
More tube talk...
Have you guys tried subbing a 12AX7 with a JAN-Philips 5751 up front?
Holy smokes, that is fun! At $20 it's a relatively expensive tube, but it's very cool. It has a tad less gain, and so it smoothes out the overdrive channel.
I've tried a gazillion different tubes before I found what I liked. And with the exception of the 5751, it's back to the original Rivera setup.
The tube compliment now goes like this :
V1-WA
V2-WB
V3-5751
V4-LP
V5-LP
SED =c= 6L6GC
Among my other favorites: Tung Sol re-issues, and Penta Lab's select 9th gen Chinese.
The JJ 6L6s are nice too and provide a "thick" lower end.

tot_Ou_tard
February 16th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I have a JAN RCA 5751 in the preamp position of my Fender Champion 600.

Sweet!

Radioboy950
February 16th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I have a JAN RCA 5751 in the preamp position of my Fender Champion 600.

Sweet!

Yummy...
that's gotta be a pricey tube??

tot_Ou_tard
February 16th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Yummy...
that's gotta be a pricey tube??
Yup, but I only have one ;).

Makes a great birthday present:D .

kiteman
February 24th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I have an rca 8343 (5751) in the preamp of my vj combo. Sounds good. I also have a jj 12at7 that I use when I use the drums on my pedal.

sumitomo
February 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Hey,Do you guys have any recommendations on 6v6 tubes.Im thinking on tubin my little supro.Thanks Sumi

tunghaichuan
February 24th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Hey,Do you guys have any recommendations on 6v6 tubes.Im thinking on tubin my little supro.Thanks Sumi

Do you want NOS or current production?

For NOS RCA 6V6GT "black plate" tubes are king.

I have a set of Sylvania 6V6GTA tubes that sound very good.

Tung-sol 6V6GTA tubes sound great.

GE 6V6s don't sound as good as the three above, but they still sound better than any of the current production stuff.

Really though, you can't wrong with any of the NOS stuff as long as you buy from a reputable dealer who tests and guarantees the tubes.

For current production, JJ 6V6S are good, but they are more of a mini 6L6 than a 6V6 tone-wise.

The EH 6V6 sounded kinda flat in the amp that I heard. Very uninspiring.

I have no experience with the the new "reissue" Tung-sol tubes, but they are supposed to sound good.

Finally, some people like the sound of the Sovtek 6V6 (aka 6P6S) but you can't use them in amps that have plate voltages above 350v or so, they just don't last. They sound kind of ratty and flat to me, but as I said some players like them.

HTH,

tung

sumitomo
February 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the reply.Its nice to be able to ask people with experience,gives me good choices to go with Thanks again,Sumi

larryx
September 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
:) Hello everyone. I was reading tunghaichuan's description of most of the 6V6 tubes out there. All of which are the best of the best. Exept for what I consider the king of 6V6 family which would be the RATHEON example of the
6V6.
Now I don't know if anyone has given a NOS RATHEON'S a try. If you have not I suggest trying some out. It is like the Ted Weber of tubes!! The sweetest creamiest most balanced 6V6 ever made. IMHO :AOK

Spudman
September 7th, 2009, 12:22 PM
:)
Now I don't know if anyone has given a NOS RATHEON'S a try. If you have not I suggest trying some out. It is like the Ted Weber of tubes!! The sweetest creamiest most balanced 6V6 ever made. IMHO :AOK

Thanks for the heads up on these.