PDA

View Full Version : Crate V18-112 Tube Amp

piebaldpython
February 17th, 2008, 05:48 AM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM

This is the NEW crate line of tube amps. I guess these will replace the PALOMINO'S??? What do you guys think of these. I think a BIG ifference that I see is that the Palomino's had Celestion speakers and apparently these do not.

TS808
February 17th, 2008, 09:06 AM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM

This is the NEW crate line of tube amps. I guess these will replace the PALOMINO'S??? What do you guys think of these. I think a BIG ifference that I see is that the Palomino's had Celestion speakers and apparently these do not.

These aren't supposed to replace the Palomino's from what I understand. You can only find the Palomino's at Guitar Center and Musicians Friend if I'm not mistaken. The Palomino's do have the better speakers, etc., but they are not being replaced from what I understand.

Crate came out with the 18-watter to compete in the market, by putting out an affordable 18-watt amp that is not boutique. The speakers in the Crates are ceramic magnetic if I'm not mistaken, but can be replaced with a good Eminence speaker or Celestion if you want to invest the money.

tunghaichuan
February 17th, 2008, 09:13 AM
One thing that stuck out about that page: that amp is not a Class A amp. Two EL84s putting out 18 watts is Class AB, not Class A. It isn't specific to the Crate amp, most of the cathode bias 18 watters are called Class A when they usually are not.

tung

markb
February 17th, 2008, 03:30 PM
One thing that stuck out about that page: that amp is not a Class A amp. Two EL84s putting out 18 watts is Class AB, not Class A. It isn't specific to the Crate amp, most of the cathode bias 18 watters are called Class A when they usually are not.

tung

I'd go along with that. This class A marketing hype is just plain wrong.

Bloozcat
February 20th, 2008, 08:16 AM
If Crate follows form, the speakers in the new V-18 may be Eminence GB 12's. And that's not a bad sounding speaker at all. I have a Crate Vintage Club 30, and a Vintage Club 20 (which is most likely 18 watt). Both amps have the GB 12 in them, and they're well matched to the amps. I know, because I've tried at least 3-4 other speakers in them, and the GB 12's certainly holds up well against the others.

The amp in this new Crate V-series that I find intriguing, is the V-18 2X12. An additional 12" speaker adds a lot of extra "volume" to the sound. I don't mean that it's just louder (which it is), but that there's a depth and fullness to the sound of a 2X12" set-up that you just don't get from one 12" speaker.