PDA

View Full Version : Strat Strings

just strum
February 17th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I don't know if it's just me, but on all the new Strats that I test drove they seemed to have strings that felt very rough. While sliding my fingers up and down the strings, there seemed to be a drag/roughness to them, almost like micro burrs. Do they string them with crappy strings or am I imagining things? I found it to be true on everyone I tried at two different stores.

What strings are you using on your Strats?

warren0728
February 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM
i'm guessing it's because they are at the stores and don't get changed until someone buys the guitar...

i generally use d'addario's xl 10s

ww

wingsdad
February 17th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Dunno if they still do, but Fender used to stock their Strats with their own 'Super Bullets', a gimmick of theirs that the 'bullet tip' ball end fused to the string on these instead of a 'regular' brass 'wheel' kind of ball with the string wrapped through a groove & twisted wouldn't get hung up when using the tremolo system.

So they'd recommend you only use Genuine Fender Super Bullets on your Strat.

I found that Super Bullets are actually more likely to snap off at the ball than 'regular' strings because of that marvelous :messedup: concept.

just strum
February 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Dunno if they still do, but Fender used to stock their Strats with their own 'Super Bullets', a gimmick of theirs that the 'bullet tip' ball end fused to the string on these instead of a 'regular' brass 'wheel' kind of ball with the string wrapped through a groove & twisted wouldn't get hung up when using the tremolo system.

So they'd recommend you only use Genuine Fender Super Bullets on your Strat.

I found that Super Bullets are actually more likely to snap off at the ball than 'regular' strings because of that marvelous :messedup: concept.

Bingo - here's the spec for the Roadhouse

Strings Fender Super Bullet 3250L’s (.009 to .042) Nickel Plated Steel pn#073-3250-003

TS808
February 17th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Super Bullets aren't bad strings actually, but by the time the guitar goes through shipping and sits in a store for a while, the strings are pretty shot by then. Any time I bought a new guitar, the first thing I always did when I got it home was change the strings and give it a good set up.

Right now, I'm using DR strings, and I think they may have the best feel of any strings I've used so far.

Danzego
February 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I trade off between using DR's and Dean Markley strings.

Jipes
February 18th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I also use Fender Nickelplated Steel Super Bullets 10/52 I like them a lot

Jimi75
February 18th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I only use Bullets when I do not have a fixed tremolo (vintage type). Otherwise I buy the regular ball ends.

Concerning the problem with the rough strings, this was definitely due to the fact that the strings were not the newest strings.

The regular Fender strings are good strings. Not the best, but they are pretty okay.