PDA

View Full Version : Foundations For Guitar, by Mark Wein

Robert
February 18th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I have been looking over Mark's book these last few days, and I have to say I am quite impressed.

It covers:
Topics covered include:

Music Theory
Rhythm Theory
Note Reading
Single Note Guitar Skills
Open Chords
Power Chords
Barre Chords
Partial and other movable chord shapes
7th and 9th Chords
Chart reading
Rhythm Guitar
Strumming in Eighth and Sixteenth Note Rhythms
Arpeggiated or "Broken" Chords
Alternate Picking

What I especially like are all the note reading exercises. I haven't seen many guitar books who do a good job with helping the student learn to read charts, but this book is very well designed in this area.

As a guitar teacher myself, this book is an excellent tool for teaching guitar.

Mark, one thing I was wondering, do you have or will you have, audio clips of the examples in the book? I think that would be an excellent thing to have. I find when teaching that it really helps the student to have audio examples to listen to when they are practicing at home.

I think it is an excellent book for beginners and/or those who know the "campfire chords" and a couple of songs, but who wants to get a solid foundation for playing guitar.

The book is available from LULU (http://www.lulu.com/content/1252390).

Good job with the book, Mark. It must have a been a lot of work to put it together.

mark wein
February 20th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks Robert!

I actually started it in 2004 and taught out of it for a few years, making changes every once in a while. My wife ran across Lulu.com (on marthastewart.com of all places) and I figured I would give it a try. So far things are going pretty well.

I basically tried to include everything I would need a beginning student to work on in the first several months worth of lessons, and some sample music for examples. I will probably do a book 2 next year...I'm sick of working on this one :D

I can't offer a CD included with the book through Lulu. I have thought of two options, one is offering the CD as a different product on Lulu (that is possible) or even better is just having the sound files hosted on my website and putting a password in the book for a special section on my website with "Foundations" supplements.

I need to fix a few small mistakes and then re-upload the book to get my ISBN number and bar code...then I can sell it on Amazon.com. After that, I address the sound file issue. I'm also getting a new computer in the next month or so and I should be better equipped to make quality sound recordings.

Thanks again for the kind words about the book, I really appreciate it. It represents a huge amount of work and it isn't a "sexy" kind of book like a lead guitar book or something of that nature that people would actively seek out. It is more along the lines of "eating your musical vegetables"....

mark wein
February 20th, 2008, 11:05 AM
The book is available from LULU (http://www.lulu.com/content/1252390).

For some reason the book isn't showing up on the site :confused:

It did this yesterday and then came back up...the joys of "Web 2.0" :mad:

Here is my "storefront" link as well: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1308397

Hopefully I can get this straightend out quickly...

EDIT: The " book is available from LULU (http://www.lulu.com/content/1252390)." seems to work now....

ShortBuSX
February 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Ive got to say Ive really been enjoying the video lessons on your site for the last 2 weeks. I was able to grasp more about theory in a few brief videos than anything Ive tried before...although I still need help, but you DO have more videos that Im looking forward to viewing.
Because of your videos, I'll likely buy your book.
But your name is strangely familiar like Ive already bought one of your books, but I think I may be confused...where do I know that name from??

tunghaichuan
February 22nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Mark,

Links are not working again.

tung

For some reason the book isn't showing up on the site :confused:

It did this yesterday and then came back up...the joys of "Web 2.0" :mad:

Here is my "storefront" link as well: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1308397

Hopefully I can get this straightend out quickly...

EDIT: The " book is available from LULU (http://www.lulu.com/content/1252390)." seems to work now....

mark wein
February 22nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Ive got to say Ive really been enjoying the video lessons on your site for the last 2 weeks. I was able to grasp more about theory in a few brief videos than anything Ive tried before...although I still need help, but you DO have more videos that Im looking forward to viewing.
Because of your videos, I'll likely buy your book.
But your name is strangely familiar like Ive already bought one of your books, but I think I may be confused...where do I know that name from??

Thats really cool! This is my first and only book so far...do you live in sourthern California? If so, you might know me from here...I'm also turning into something of an "Internet whore" to promote my book and website, so its entirely possible you've seen my name in a couple of place on the web...:o

mark wein
February 22nd, 2008, 09:37 AM
Mark,

Links are not working again.

tung
Thanks Tung. I check and it is working this morning, but I know it wasn't working last night. I have a couple of small fixes to make and then I will have the book on Amazon.com in a couple of weeks. I think Lulu.com is either having "issues" or I need to republish the book...:mad:

EDIT: I also have a small supply of them at my store...if anybody wants one and can't get Lulu.com to work contact me and I can sell you one direct....

tot_Ou_tard
February 22nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I took a look at your book & thought it was great! Let us know when you get it on Amazon & have the sound files available. I'll get it right away!

sunvalleylaw
February 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
I will be in line too.

mark wein
February 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys!

The sound files will probably be a while, though...I'm waiting on a new computer and there are probably 60-70 pages worth of music examples...

mark wein
August 23rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
:D

An update...

I was very happy today to discover that "Foundations" is now available (FINALLY) on Amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com and some other places!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&EAN=9780615198835

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/061519883X/ref=nosim/gettextbooks-20

In the UK it no longer costs over $46.00....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/061519883X/new

and something called "TextbooksRus"

http://www.textbooksrus.com/search/BookDetail/?kbid=1007⊂=GetTextbooks-New&isbn=9780615198835 (http://www.textbooksrus.com/search/BookDetail/?kbid=1007%E2%8A%82=GetTextbooks-New&isbn=9780615198835)

warren0728
August 23rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
I was very happy today to discover that "Foundations" is now available (FINALLY) on Amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com and some other places!
that's great mark

fellow fretters....i have mark's book and although i haven't really had to to delve into it in detail....i have to say that it is a very well thought out book and i am looking forward to working through it now that school has started and i'll be back on a more normal schedule (if there is such a thing with a 9 and 11 year old that both play sports and are into music...11 year taking trombone lessons and my 9 year old wants guitar lessons) :)

I can't offer a CD included with the book through Lulu. I have thought of two options, one is offering the CD as a different product on Lulu (that is possible) or even better is just having the sound files hosted on my website and putting a password in the book for a special section on my website with "Foundations" supplements.
mark....i think some sound files on your site or maybe a cd to go with the book would be a great idea!

ww

mark wein
August 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
that's great mark

fellow fretters....i have mark's book and although i haven't really had to to delve into it in detail....i have to say that it is a very well thought out book and i am looking forward to working through it now that school has started and i'll be back on a more normal schedule (if there is such a thing with a 9 and 11 year old that both play sports and are into music...11 year taking trombone lessons and my 9 year old wants guitar lessons) :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :beer:

mark....i think some sound files on your site or maybe a cd to go with the book would be a great idea!

ww

My only problem is that a CD would need to be a separate product...Lulu doesn't offer the book+CD option...its also going to be a ton of work...I'll probably have to offer one in the future if I really want people to buy the book in this day and age, though...

tot_Ou_tard
August 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Cool Beans! (love that Tone phrase.)

I'll order me up one (it give me an excuse to get the CD by Marc Ribot's new group Ceramic Dog to get free shipping) ;).

---------------Done! ----------------------------------

mark wein
August 23rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Cool Beans! (love that Tone phrase.)

I'll order me up one (it give me an excuse to get the CD by Marc Ribot's new group Ceramic Dog to get free shipping) ;).

---------------Done! ----------------------------------

I'm going to have to throw a party or something for all of you guys who are buying the book....maybe a free group private webchat lesson for the fretters to get you started off on the right foot!

:beer:

warren0728
August 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
maybe a free group private webchat lesson for the fretters to get you started off on the right foot!
better make it simple if i'm involved... :thwap: :pancake: :beer: :D

ww

mark wein
August 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM

ww

LOL. :beer:

BluezOldy
August 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
I need to fix a few small mistakes ...

Hi Mark,

For those of us who already have the book would it be possible to get an errata list please, perhaps a txt file we can download?

Here is your listing at The Book Depository in the UK (free airmail delivery worldwide):

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/showbook.php?id=061519883X

mark wein
August 23rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Hi Mark,

For those of us who already have the book would it be possible to get an errata list please, perhaps a txt file we can download?

Here is your listing at The Book Depository in the UK (free airmail delivery worldwide):

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/showbook.php?id=061519883X

You bought a copy of the book right after I put it out, right? I can make a custom PDF of the newer pages and email it to you if you would like :)

I didn't know about that site...thanks for pointing it out....I'll have to collect up all of the online booksellers and post them on my site as I find them...

tot_Ou_tard
August 24th, 2008, 06:00 AM

ww
better make sure that he's fully clothed.

mark wein
August 24th, 2008, 07:51 AM

:o:o

warren0728
August 24th, 2008, 09:34 AM
:pancake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :pancake:

ShortBuSX
September 26th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Hey Mark, your new video just reminded me to post, but I got your book about 2 weeks ago for my birthday. At first look it looks helpful, yet intimidating...I say intimidating because of all the standard notation, knowing this I might have shied away from this book, BUT it does look do-able and that Id actualy learn standard notation by time I finish this book...go figure, actually learning something from a book!
I think this book will help me out alot with learning timing, reading rhythm notation patterns...and basicly everything else Ive got problems with, and that being the reason I wanted your book.
And Ive always enjoyed your videos...and I was just thinking I wanted to learn slide, thanks you rule!:bravo:

mark wein
September 26th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Hey Mark, your new video just reminded me to post, but I got your book about 2 weeks ago for my birthday. At first look it looks helpful, yet intimidating...I say intimidating because of all the standard notation, knowing this I might have shied away from this book, BUT it does look do-able and that Id actualy learn standard notation by time I finish this book...go figure, actually learning something from a book!
I think this book will help me out alot with learning timing, reading rhythm notation patterns...and basicly everything else Ive got problems with, and that being the reason I wanted your book.
And Ive always enjoyed your videos...and I was just thinking I wanted to learn slide, thanks you rule!:bravo:

Thanks!

Its funny because around here locally my reputation is "the guy who makes you do all the things that you need to do to improve that you wouldn't do on your own because its boring, tedious or you think its harder than it is" :D

I think the book is very do-able as long as you are willing to work through it in order and get each concept down before you move on to the next one. This isn't the best sales pitch for my book but you have to do a little hard work on the basics before things get easy to play...if you get stuck or have any questions please feel free to ask!

I'm glad you're digging the videos...the slide series will be fun but a bunch of work for me because its not something I do every day...I'll have about 4 lessons before I've exhausted what I can offer you guys on slide guitar :D

ShortBuSX
September 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Its funny because around here locally my reputation is "the guy who makes you do all the things that you need to do to improve that you wouldn't do on your own because its boring, tedious or you think its harder than it is" :D

I think thats an excellent way to put it...Ive avoided it for so long thinking it would be difficult, but you lay it out nicely, it looks simple enough and your not askin us to play Kumbiya to learn the lesson.:AOK:

I think the book is very do-able as long as you are willing to work through it in order and get each concept down before you move on to the next one. This isn't the best sales pitch for my book but you have to do a little hard work on the basics before things get easy to play...if you get stuck or have any questions please feel free to ask!

Yeah, I know, Im sorry...Im probably not doing such a great job of selling it either, but your book does appear to be teaching me stuff all of my other books have neglected...as well as things to learn that I would have neglected to seek out on my own.

I'm glad you're digging the videos...the slide series will be fun but a bunch of work for me because its not something I do every day...I'll have about 4 lessons before I've exhausted what I can offer you guys on slide guitar :D

Your videos(and the fact that you belong to all the good forums) are what drew me to your book, if any of the other reputable video sites offered a book as well, eh, I might have bought it....but your videos are good, the book is nice too, but I like your teaching style as well as what your teaching...keep up the good work!:AOK:

mark wein
September 26th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I think thats an excellent way to put it...Ive avoided it for so long thinking it would be difficult, but you lay it out nicely, it looks simple enough and your not askin us to play Kumbiya to learn the lesson.:AOK:

I think much of this is avoided by students and even instructors because of how the basics are usually presented...the "Kumbiyah" approach is a turnoff to pretty much anyone...I have music in the book to play for examples but I tried to come up with things that actually sound and feel like music you would want to play...

Yeah, I know, Im sorry...Im probably not doing such a great job of selling it either, but your book does appear to be teaching me stuff all of my other books have neglected...as well as things to learn that I would have neglected to seek out on my own.

:D I should be lying and telling people that its all rainbows and puppy dogs and they'll be rock stars immediately but that's not how it really works...

Your videos(and the fact that you belong to all the good forums) are what drew me to your book, if any of the other reputable video sites offered a book as well, eh, I might have bought it....but your videos are good, the book is nice too, but I like your teaching style as well as what your teaching...keep up the good work!:AOK:
I do appreciate it. :)

Robert
September 26th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I do recommend the book as well. I am referring people to Mark not just because he's a great guy (:) ) but because his book is well thought out and useful for guitarists.

mark wein
September 26th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I do recommend the book as well. I am referring people to Mark not just because he's a great guy (:) ) but because his book is well thought out and useful for guitarists.
:beer:

mark wein
September 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Hey guys!

just an update...I have about 80% of the recordings done for the book and instead of doing a CD for right now I am posting them for free in the "Registered Users" section of my lesson site at www.markweinguitarlessons.com

Registration is free and I'm adding a bunch of extra resources for guitarists as well in the next few weeks...more on that later on!

:D