PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a small recording amp?

TS808
February 18th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I'm looking to buy a small recording amp that would also double as something I can play in my living room without waking the neighbors at night. I'm looking at the following amps right now....Vox AD30VT or a Fender Super Champ. Any suggestions from anyone or input as to what your choice would be?

I have to try them to see which I like better, but I always appreciate the advice/feedback from others. I like the versatility of both, and both can be played at reasonable volumes without driving the Mrs. crazy. :D But if others have a good suggestion, I'm willing to give it a run through.

I play strats and Agile AL-3000's.

tunghaichuan
February 18th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Are you looking for something fairly versatile? Lots of tones, models, FX, etc.?

Or a one-trick pony that does one or maybe two tricks really well?

Tube or solid state?

One nice little amp that I would consider along with the Vox and Fender SCXD is the Tech21 Trademark 30 (http://www.tech21nyc.com/tm30.html). The nice thing about it is that it is an analog solid state amp. Cranking it up does not make it sound better unlike a tube amp. So you can get a nice cranked tone at low volumes.

tung

I'm looking to buy a small recording amp that would also double as something I can play in my living room without waking the neighbors at night. I'm looking at the following amps right now....Vox AD30VT or a Fender Super Champ. Any suggestions from anyone or input as to what your choice would be?

I have to try them to see which I like better, but I always appreciate the advice/feedback from others. I like the versatility of both, and both can be played at reasonable volumes without driving the Mrs. crazy. :D But if others have a good suggestion, I'm willing to give it a run through.

I play strats and Agile AL-3000's.

Robert
February 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM
The Vox is great for practicing, but the line out really doesn't sound good. You'd be better off getting a Line 6 Toneport which you run through your computer. Or a POD XT or a Vox Tonelab maybe.

I don't know what other small amps record well, like the Roland Cube amps or the Fender amps, but other fretters should be able to fill in on this.

tunghaichuan
February 18th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I don't know what other small amps record well, like the Roland Cube amps or the Fender amps, but other fretters should be able to fill in on this.

Good call on the Roland Cube amps. They sound very good, although I have not tried the recording out feature. Personally, I'd opt for the Cube 30X or Cube 60 because they have 10" and 12" speakers respectively.

Another option might be the Digitech RP-250. It has a headphone jack, IIRC and a USB port to connect directly to your computer.

tung

TS808
February 18th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Right now I do use a Line 6 POD XT, but also like the sound of a mic'd amp too. The Roland Cube is a good option, as is the Tech 21....versatility is the key that I'm looking for...different tones much like I get through the POD.

markb
February 18th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I can vouch for the Tech21 direct box. It's exactly the sound of the amp miked and I've often used it live.

aeolian
February 19th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Maybe just to clarify some of the previous statements: the VOX AD30VT works fine if you are recording with a mic; recording through the lineout does not give very good results.