PDA

View Full Version : AD30VT Home Recording Tricks & Tips

Tim
March 28th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Found this website while surfing tonight. I have not really checked the complete site. I hope it helps you VOX owners.

http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/studio_equipment_uk.php?product=VALVETRONICS+AD30V T

M29
April 9th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Hello Tim,

I just started messing with putting my guitar into the sound card and running Audacity. I have the AD 50 VT and I run the line out into the line in and mic inputs of my Soundblaster and could not get anything to register in the program. I put the guitar straight into the mic input and it worked okay but sounded pretty bland. So I tried it again only I turned up the amp to about 9:00 and it worked pretty good. I don't know if this is okay or not but it is working. Now I have to get to where I can get the sound I want. From what I have read you guys say it is better to mic the amp so I will have to try that down the road once I get a mic. Man I used to have them all over my drumset years ago I wish I still have one or two.

Thank you for the link on home recording it looks great!

M29

Tim
April 10th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Hello M29,

You’re on the right track. Yep, you will need to find “your” sound. I have had my AD30VT for about 1 ½ years and I am still looking for my own sound. I am new to guitars (still after 3 years) and I am not fully knowledgeable on how to tweak amps for the different sounds (rock, blues, and jazz, country). Since I joined this forum, I have learned more in the last 5 months than I did the first 2 years on my own. The guys here are great. Anyway if you have questions, this is the place to get answers.

If you have not done so already, you can find different sounds and also hear some patches from the Valvetronics website which can be found here: http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/DA15/AD15-30-50-100/model_1_date_1.html

M29
April 10th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Hello Tim,

Thank you for the info. This amp started to freak me out at first. I would select a preset and then try to change the gain and the sound would drop or the tremeolo would come on for no reason and I called the place I bought it at and he said that is was okay. I started searching the web for any info I could get and happened to find Roberts site and forum but also realised how complex the Vox modeling amps are. I can see how it is going to take a long time to find out all that this amp can do. I love it. I don't play out or intend to but I am happy with this amp and it sure is a lot of fun.

Yes indeed this site has boosted me along big time compared to where I was at before. I just hope I can help you guys out in some way.

Thanks again Tim for your time and help.

M29

duhvoodooman
April 10th, 2006, 05:25 AM
M29,

After using the presets for a while just to get familiar with their sounds, I've found I almost never use them anymore. First of all, in addition to the various amp model settings, the presets also have effects programmed into them. This is why the tremolo comes on when you dial up the Black 2x12 model, for example. Secondly, you run into those crazy volume swings, because the gain and volume settings are also part of the preset programs. If you'd like to see exactly what the individual preset amp model settings are, including their associated effects, check out THIS (http://duhvoodooman.com/AD30VT/presets.htm) page on my website.

I just leave the sucker in Manual mode and dial in the settings I want. You can always program the two memory channels with settings you particularly like. But mostly I find myself twiddling the knobs to get exactly the sound I want at any given time....

tot_Ou_tard
April 10th, 2006, 06:07 AM
The presets work differently than you might suppose. As Voodoo says each one has effects & noise reduction preset as well as gain, volume, & EQ. But here's the kicker. Since these settings are highly unlikely to be where the physical knobs are actually set, as soon as you twiddle a knob & thus move from preset to manual you tend to get a wild swing in settings. As Voodoo also mentioned patchtronix
and valvetronix.net are great resources for these kinds of questions. If I recall correctly you can determine the presets my moving the knob until the preset light blinks. Voodoo must know this (& yes I tried searching patchtronix, but haven't found the thread yet).

Like Voodoo, I don't use the presets.

marnold
April 10th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Like Voodoo, I don't use the presets.
Unlike both of you, I use them, although the only ones I use are the Boutique CL and the UK Modern. One of my channels is set to basically the UK70s preset except I use delay instead of what the default is (reverb?). For my blues sound, however, my settings bear almost no resemblance to the Tweed 4x10 preset.

When I first got the amp, I was driving myself crazy, tweaking everything into oblivion. I just ended up messing with the presets for a while to find which amp types I liked in general (often with the effects bypassed). Eventually, I found ones I liked. This, of course, is subject to change at any time :)

Tim
April 10th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I know that with most acoustic guitars, you need an acoustic amplifier. But has anybody experimented putting an acoustic guitar through one of the ADxxVT amps with any success?

duhvoodooman
April 10th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Since these settings are highly unlikely to be where the physical knobs are actually set, as soon as you twiddle a knob & thus move from preset to manual you tend to get a wild swing in settings.
Precisely right. This behavior is exactly what many new ADxxVT owners find so confusing. It's possible to select a preset and turn a knob and have it appear that the amp does the opposite thing! For example, if your gain knob physically happens to be set fairly low, and you select a preset with a high gain setting (e.g. UK 70's or US HiGain), you could dial the gain knob upward and actually decrease the gain setting, if you don't go as far as the preset gain value!

If I recall correctly you can determine the presets my moving the knob until the preset light blinks. Voodoo must know this (& yes I tried searching patchtronix, but haven't found the thread yet).
The method for doing this is covered on my website at THIS LINK (http://www.duhvoodooman.com/AD30VT/howto.htm). It's also described in the ADxxVT Owner's Manual on page 14.

Justaguyin_nc
April 10th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I know that with most acoustic guitars, you need an acoustic amplifier. But has anybody experimented putting an acoustic guitar through one of the ADxxVT amps with any success?

I'll be trying this with the little Vox DA5 if it ever gets here... I don't think it does matter what type amp you play an acoustic thru... wouldn't that depend on what sound you would want? I am under the assumption that the acoustic amps just bring the natural guitar sound out better... I like the sounds a cyber-champ and roland's cube can get out of Acoustics.. but droool for the day I can own a real acoustic amp ... hmmm a real big tube amp to for that matter some day...

Tim
April 10th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I don't think it does matter what type amp you play an acoustic thru... wouldn't that depend on what sound you would want? I am under the assumption that the acoustic amps just bring the natural guitar sound out better...

Justa - That's the first I heard anybody make that statement. I kind of agree with you, but my acoustic needs to be toned down. I am not sure just how to do that.

Any suggestions? I though maybe the Boutique CL would be the best choice of amp modelers with a little bit of chorus or reverb. I will need to work with the EQ on both guitar and amp. I am thinking putting the master at about 12:00 and the volume as needed.

Justaguyin_nc
April 10th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Tim...remember I am just assuming...I really havent a clue.. kinda think back in the day they had one type amp and every guitar played thru it.. I do know that thru JC Clean with reverb on the Roland Cube this Nylon String sounds great to me.. I also know the Acoustic is HOTTER then the norms and needs to be used with less Volume... but it does sound sweet to me..

Justaguyin_nc
April 13th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Justa - That's the first I heard anybody make that statement. I kind of agree with you, but my acoustic needs to be toned down. I am not sure just how to do that.

Any suggestions? I though maybe the Boutique CL would be the best choice of amp modelers with a little bit of chorus or reverb. I will need to work with the EQ on both guitar and amp. I am thinking putting the master at about 12:00 and the volume as needed.

tim,
Well I have somehow acquired an Acoustic Amp since we typed this (search under amps for SWR Strawberry Blonde)... I believe there is a big difference.. besides the Tweeter in this thing... even when the tweeter is turned off the notes seem to jump out clearer then through the electric guitar amps.. I must assume do to the coloring of the amp models?? But I still enjoy the sound of the acoustic thru the microcube and the cyber-champ for that matter..just a different sound...

Matt
April 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Tim, Ive tried my Crafter Fx-550Eq through my AD50VT, and it seems to work best on the boutique clean rather than the Blackface 212 or tweed 410. But it still doesnt seem to get that 'bright sparkle' sound that oozes warmth that you want from an acousitc, no matter how i tweek the EQ (on both guitar and amp). However, the sound is noticably different to that of an electric, so its a good starting point. If you are strapped for cash and cant get an acoustic amp, use the Boutique clean. :R

Matt

t_ross33
June 3rd, 2006, 11:57 PM
Jumping in a little late, but I'm new here and just picked up on this thread...

First few gigs we played, I ran my acoustic through my AD30VT (A/B switched my acoustic and electric guitars through one amp) and mic'd it to the PA. The sound was pretty thin, bordering on harsh. We've since DI'd my acoustic and use the Vox strictly for electric. Sounds much, much better. Now I'm looking at adding a pre-amp in my signal chain before the DI. BBE Acoustisonic, Yamaha something or other I saw on eBay, or some other amp/mic modeller.

Hey, I might not be able to play very well, but I figure if I have enough stomp boxes on my pedal board I'll at least LOOK like I know what I'm doing :R

As I understand it, there are significant differences in amps for acoustic and electric instruments. My suggestion is to run your acoustic through an acoustic amp, or DI direct to your board/PA.

T