PDA

View Full Version : putting a mic on my amp

pes_laul
February 18th, 2008, 03:58 PM
so I took a new direction on recording. what I want to do is place a microphone up to my amp. my question is where and how far away from the amp would I put the mic. What should I set the input level on my recording device.

Feedback appreciated

Thanks,
Kris-the-young-dude

theseeker
July 19th, 2008, 06:58 PM
The best thing to do is experiment. Usually, for basic rythem tracks, I put a Shure sm57 about 1 inch from the cone on either the left or right side, pointed at the center.

Again, this works well for me but, try out various locations until you find that sweet spot. Also, another thing to try is a second mic about 6 feet back from the amp at ear level pointed at the cone( again, try different spots). You can mix the two together and a nice result. Hope this helps.

What type of music are you playing?

markb
July 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM
SM57 just kissing the grille cloth, slightly off the centre of the speaker would be my basic recipe. With two mikes as suggested above take care to avoid phase cancellation, moving the distance mike around a bit will usually fix this. A large diaphragm condenser would be ideal as the distance mike and use a live space to get room reverb. For a different tone don't rule out miking an open back cabinet from behind.

Really, it's all down to a bit of trial and error and your own preference.

pes_laul
July 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
The best thing to do is experiment. Usually, for basic rythem tracks, I put a Shure sm57 about 1 inch from the cone on either the left or right side, pointed at the center.

Again, this works well for me but, try out various locations until you find that sweet spot. Also, another thing to try is a second mic about 6 feet back from the amp at ear level pointed at the cone( again, try different spots). You can mix the two together and a nice result. Hope this helps.

What type of music are you playing?
I play mostly grunge and alternative and punk and whatnot

sunvalleylaw
July 20th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I have done just in between the two above approaches, between an inch and less from the speaker cloth, depending on how quiet or loud I am, and, I tend to do pretty close to center cone. I used a SM57 on a small stand that puts it right there. Then just move it around to see what you like, like the others say. Spud or someone might give you some specific spots to try out.

Spudman
July 20th, 2008, 12:39 PM
markb said it pretty well about trial and error, but....to elaborate.

This is the sure fire way to know. Put on headphones and listen to what it sounds like as you play (or have someone else play) your guitar and move the microphone around. Try it in different places close to the grille or move it back, 1 foot away, 3 feet away, off to the sides, angle it slightly etc. When you have the phones on you can more accurately tell just what is going on.

After you mentally record what the differences in sound (timbre) is in the various locations then you can begin to think about how those sounds will fit into your mix. Think of it like an artist - each of those different sounds from the various mic placements are your paints and those sounds will fill your sound canvas and create your masterpiece.

zeusse
July 28th, 2008, 12:36 AM
yep spudman has the best way to do it cause things always sound different when somebody else plays your gear and you stand back from the amp. Your ear gets use to hearing a certain frequency so an outside look in will always help....I'd say stand about 30ft minimum away otherwise you will just be standing in proximity to where you were before and you won't hear much of a difference.

pes_laul
July 28th, 2008, 10:40 AM
thanks guys :AOK: I think I found the right spot for my tube amp. and it sounds really good in the recordings.