PDA

View Full Version : Played some amps today

scgmhawk
February 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I'm looking for a new amp so I can give my son my current amp (Behringer Modeling amp -- that's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it!) so I went to my local music store and played a Vox AD50VT and Peavey Bandit, because I've read great things on the internet about both. I like the fact that the Vox gives you many different tones, although both sounded good.

I should have tried a small tube amp too but didn't (probably will this weekend) but wanted to get some feedback since I know alot of you have these. I've read alot about the 5W tubes (the Blackheart looks really nice) but I'm not sure how loud they really get. I generally just play at home but want something loud enough to jam with friends (bass, drums) and possibly play out if we get to that point. Are these 5W's loud enough or should I look at a higher watt tube if I decide to go that route?

Again, your feedback is appreciated.

oldguy
February 19th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I'd say if you're looking to play out later on down the road, go bigger than 5w.
The V.Jr. is extremely loud in the bedroom. Not so much in a club, competing with a bass and drums. Also the 20-50 watt tube amphs are loud, but consider adding pedals for various effects, as most tubers will only offer reverb and overdrive, generally speaking.
And if you're looking for versatility, I'd consider the Vox.
Although I don't own one, it's obvious from clips and reviews the Vox can do alot, and do it well.
That's my opinion.......

just strum
February 19th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I have the AD30VT and really like it. The only other amp I've had is a 15W Fender Bullet ($95 amp). I tried a Fender tube the other day at the music store and really liked it, but didn't pay attention to the model or price (intentionally).

Anyway, back the the Vox. I'm a beginner guitarist and it provides more than I need at the moment and I can grow into it. I like the feature that you can control the output, I seldom play it at 30 watts. I'm not sure if you need a 50w and also not sure if the 50 offers any additional features. There are enough people here that own a 50 that can answer those questions.

Spudman
February 19th, 2008, 08:52 PM
If you are going to play with others than consider something bigger than 5 watts. You can do it but it sucks to struggle to hear yourself and the extra headroom of a bigger amph will keep you happier in that regard.

scgmhawk
February 19th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback. The answers were kind of what I thought they'd be. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Vox AD50VT 212. Seems like alot of amp for $299 plus I haven't really read or heard anything bad about the Vox's.

Algonquin
February 19th, 2008, 10:33 PM
A Vox AD50VT 212 at that price is an excellent buy!

Good luck with your amp...

:beer:

sunvalleylaw
February 19th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Seems like a great deal at $199. More to lug around, but not so bad a thing. I like my 30W Peavey Classic 30 tube amph also, and it is loud enough for out. But even used, you are likely to spend what you are spending on the 2x12 Vox new.

sumitomo
February 19th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Hi,I was looking at those Vox ad50vt awhile back and saw too that the 212 was cheaper than the 112 I think you might want to look at that is was the ohm rating when pluging into a extension cab,so Id look toward the 112.Sumi

piebaldpython
February 20th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Try the Fender SCXD. Light (24lbs) and loud!!! According to players on the SCXD forum, they gig with it and have NO problems being heard at all in a band setting.

scgmhawk
February 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I ordered the Vox last night before bed. Hope I made the right decision -- I think I did! Time will tell. Thanks for the input, guys.

Katastrophe
February 20th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Excellent choice! The Vox settings are very good. I hope you enjoy!