PDA

View Full Version : Questions on building a cab

luvmyshiner
February 19th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Ok, this is a simple project, but a first for me and I apologize if it has been discussed before.

DVM and Tung have inspired me to give the Firefly a shot. That means I need a cab to try her out on, another excuse to build something else. I'm going to use the Warehouse Guitar Speakers Veteran 30, 12" (also thanks to DVM), cause . . . DAMN, it's $45 as opposed to the Celestion's $125.

I've been looking at my amps, and checking a few things out online, and I have some design questions.

1. Open back vs. closed back? With a 12" 30 watt speaker it seems there would be a lot of sound and energy wasted with a closed back. But a lot of people seem to prefer a closed back. Why?

2. My Behringer GMX110 has the front of the amp angled up, presumably to project the sound on the same principle as a rack. Considering that I will never fulfill my dreams of international stardom and play in front of real people, I think it might be a sweet feature to incorporate. Thoughts?

3. I've never built an instrument speaker, but I've built a few speaker cabinets. None of our current amphs have ports or acoustic insulation. Is there a reason?

Thanks for the input.