PDA

View Full Version : Another WGF refugee.

Pike
February 20th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Hi Guys & Gals. I've been invited over here by a couple of longtime WGF posters who made the move also. Love my Washburns and own a bunch of beauties and have owned lots of others. Also own a few Guilds and a great Martin. It's nice to see some old friends here. Cheers all, Pike

ted s
February 20th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Welcome Pike, it's a great forum !

warren0728
February 20th, 2008, 08:12 AM
welcome pike....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

oldguy
February 20th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Pike! Glad you joined us. :)

Brian Krashpad
February 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Welcome Pike! Whereabouts are you? Do you play electrics too, or concentrate on acoustic?

Robert
February 20th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Welcome Pike, we take Washburners if we have to.... :D

just kidding! :rotflmao:

mrmudcat
February 20th, 2008, 08:28 AM
This is/was one of the best assets of the other forum.Great guy and 100% real !!! Great to see you here brother!!:master:

Algonquin
February 20th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Welcome to the Fret Pike!
:beer:

wingsdad
February 20th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Well...it's about time you got here...:AOK: :)
Welcome aboard, Pike.

sumitomo
February 20th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Konnichiwa senor Pike.Sumi

luvmyshiner
February 20th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Welcome aboard Pike. It's great to see you over here. There's lots of good folks, and I think you'll enjoy yourself.

strumsalot
February 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Glad to see you here Pike!:bravo: Everybody is really friendly.

piebaldpython
February 20th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Hey Pike,
Nice to see your handle around these parts. Your knowledge and talents will be appreciated here for sure. :bravo:
PBP

Dreadman
February 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Hey Pike. Welcome aboard.

There's a very diverse, friendly, knowledgable crowd here. Give ya GAS for sure. Enjoy.

Kazz
February 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM
welcome to the fret Pike....

This guy has a vast knowledge of acoustic guitars....amazing resource.

just strum
February 20th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Pike,

It's really good to see you here. I think you will enjoy all of the sections they have here. With the additional influx of the old crowd, you guys and gals should be able to get the acoustic section a little more active.

Anyway, it is good to see you and the other Washies (that's what we're known as here).

I think there are at least four projects Dreadman has flowing through his head.:D

And as already pointed out, there is a great group of people here that are knowledgeable, talented, and good sense of humor.

Childbride
February 20th, 2008, 05:37 PM
hiya, Pike, good to see ya!

everyone is really nice... and there's a ton of knowledge here.

:D

Pike
February 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
All the welcomes are very much appreciated! Hi Brian, I'm in Oregon, play mostly acoustic. Kazz, I know more about and have info on Washburns mostly. More specifically, 1970's and forward American and Japanese builds. There are some real treasures among those. Looks like a bunch of great folks here, and it's nice, also, to be among some old friends.

sunvalleylaw
February 20th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Hi Guys & Gals. I've been invited over here by a couple of longtime WGF posters who made the move also. Love my Washburns and own a bunch of beauties and have owned lots of others. Also own a few Guilds and a great Martin. It's nice to see some old friends here. Cheers all, Pike

Welcome Pike! Glad to make your acquaintance and nice to have you here.
Maybe I'll go ahead and ask you a question right away, seeing the guitars you have listed above. I would like someday to upgrade my acoustic, and love the sound of a rosewood and spruce dread. I would love to get the tones of a HD-28V (http://www.thepodium.com/mp3s/MartinHD28V.mp3) without spending that much. (Not that I am buying any time soon).

I have played a couple of Guilds in shops that had some of the warmth I was looking for, and also really like the sound of the Larrivee D-03R. (tjcurtin1 shares my opinion of this guitar in this tread, last post: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5207) I was thinking there may be a Takamine and/or a Yamaha out there to check out.

Here is a link to a thread where I was asking the same of some of your other expatriates. http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4210 See posts #7 and #12 in thread. Have any thoughts for me? We could pick it up in one of the above linked threads. Nice to have you here and thanks for joining in.

murph
February 20th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Hi all. I've been lurking in the shadows for several weeks. After seeing a lot of familiar names, I decided (with a prod from Strumsalot) to introduce myself. I go by the name of Murph, I live in southeastern Wisconsin. I'm retired so I find time to see if I can reintroduce myself to my guitars. My first guitar was a Fender accoustic. I gave my electric Danelectro to my grandson to get him started. Since then I got a Fender Telecaster, a Washburn D10 A/E and a
Washburn EA20 A/E. I stopped playing for a few years and I'm finding my fingers don't move the way they used to, but I'm progressing.

Murph

Spudman
February 21st, 2008, 12:28 AM
Welcome.:wave:
Don't forget to pay the Washburn immigrant tax. See Robert for that.

Pike
February 21st, 2008, 12:52 AM
Welcome Pike! Glad to make your acquaintance and nice to have you here.
Maybe I'll go ahead and ask you a question right away, seeing the guitars you have listed above. I would like someday to upgrade my acoustic, and love the sound of a rosewood and spruce dread. I would love to get the tones of a HD-28V (http://www.thepodium.com/mp3s/MartinHD28V.mp3) without spending that much. (Not that I am buying any time soon).

I have played a couple of Guilds in shops that had some of the warmth I was looking for, and also really like the sound of the Larrivee D-03R. (tjcurtin1 shares my opinion of this guitar in this tread, last post: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5207) I was thinking there may be a Takamine and/or a Yamaha out there to check out.

Here is a link to a thread where I was asking the same of some of your other expatriates. http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4210 See posts #7 and #12 in thread. Have any thoughts for me? We could pick it up in one of the above linked threads. Nice to have you here and thanks for joining in. Thanks Steve, good to know you. I gotta tell ya', my '98 Westerly built Guild D55 is a spectacular guitar, easily the equal to any Martin rosewood dread I've played. The sound is clear, articulate and loud, no mud at all. 25.75" scale, nice full neck, plays like butter. My Susie likes the sound of it over all my others, except for maybe my Cherokee. Some of the folks at the Guild forum call the sound of them "Majestic". I have to agree. I also had a Tacoma built D55, and although nothing to sneeze at, it wasn't what the Westerly is. The Tacoma built D55 now belongs to someone else.

Cal
February 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hey Ratbag!
Great to see you over here (there was definitely something missing). :bravo:
... and continuing from another OT thread somewhere in cyberspace ... (with that incredibly hairy sporran) was your Great Uncle Tom of the Victorian Era?

Pike
February 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM
Hey Ratbag!
Great to see you over here (there was definitely something missing). :bravo:
... and continuing from another OT thread somewhere in cyberspace ... (with that incredibly hairy sporran) was your Great Uncle Tom of the Victorian Era?Heh Heh, thanks Cal, love you too. Yes, Uncle Tom was later 1800's. Neat pic eh?

Cal
February 21st, 2008, 12:44 PM
Yes, Uncle Tom was later 1800's. Neat pic eh?Quite a popular type of pic for that era (of course no one would know outside of Scotland!), but definitely neat.

Seeing this is the "get to know you" section of the forum... what about posting Oor Tam up here? :AOK:

Pike
February 21st, 2008, 05:19 PM
Quite a popular type of pic for that era (of course no one would know outside of Scotland!), but definitely neat.

Seeing this is the "get to know you" section of the forum... what about posting Oor Tam up here? :AOK:How's the pic entry work? Oh, OK, file exceeded limit. Dang, I'll get it later on.

Guitar Gal
February 21st, 2008, 05:37 PM
Nice to see you Pike :AOK:

GG

Pike
February 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM
Nice to see you Pike :AOK:

GGNice to see you too GG, say, how's that F52SW treating you?

duhvoodooman
February 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Pike! Sounds like you're a veteran Washie and already have many friends here. Hope you make many more! :dude:

Pike
February 22nd, 2008, 02:55 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Pike! Sounds like you're a veteran Washie and already have many friends here. Hope you make many more! :dude:Thanks duhvoodooman. Happy to have made your acquantance!

Pike
February 22nd, 2008, 02:57 AM
Quite a popular type of pic for that era (of course no one would know outside of Scotland!), but definitely neat.

Seeing this is the "get to know you" section of the forum... what about posting Oor Tam up here? :AOK:

Here's Uncle Tom Cal.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c188/Pikeusa/ThomasPGourlay.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
February 22nd, 2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks Steve, good to know you. I gotta tell ya', my '98 Westerly built Guild D55 is a spectacular guitar, easily the equal to any Martin rosewood dread I've played. The sound is clear, articulate and loud, no mud at all. 25.75" scale, nice full neck, plays like butter. My Susie likes the sound of it over all my others, except for maybe my Cherokee. Some of the folks at the Guild forum call the sound of them "Majestic". I have to agree. I also had a Tacoma built D55, and although nothing to sneeze at, it wasn't what the Westerly is. The Tacoma built D55 now belongs to someone else.
Welcome Pike & murph!

How much do such guitfiddles go for?

Great photo there! I've got scottish ancestry, but I've never seen a pic. I'll have to ask around to see if we have something like that!

Cal
February 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Here's Uncle Tom Cal.Brilliant! Thanks Pike. :AOK:

Pike
February 22nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Welcome Pike & murph!

How much do such guitfiddles go for?

Great photo there! I've got scottish ancestry, but I've never seen a pic. I'll have to ask around to see if we have something like that!Thanks for the welcome tot_Ou_tard. You can pick up one with a little wear for around a grand, a decent one for around 1500 give or take.

Bloozcat
February 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Wow, another Washburn refugee!

Was there something akin to a potato famine over there at Washburn? ;)

Just kidding, of course. All fretters welcome! Enjoy yourself here Pike. :AOK:

Pike
February 22nd, 2008, 12:59 PM
Wow, another Washburn refugee!

Was there something akin to a potato famine over there at Washburn? ;)

Just kidding, of course. All fretters welcome! Enjoy yourself here Pike. :AOK:Heh Heh, great way of putting it. Thanks for the welcome Bloozkat.

YerDugliness
February 22nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
Hey, Pike, I'd been wondering where you'd gone, suspected it would be here!

Good to see you onboard :bravo: .

Most of us have been pretty good over here, haven't gotten booted yet :dude: !!

Then, again, there's Shiner and his photo of naked tractor guy-----

But, they seem to tolerate us "Wash-outs" OK, so stick around!

Dugly :cool:

Pike
February 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hey, Pike, I'd been wondering where you'd gone, suspected it would be here!

Good to see you onboard :bravo: .

Most of us have been pretty good over here, haven't gotten booted yet :dude: !!

Then, again, there's Shiner and his photo of naked tractor guy-----

Dugly :cool:Thanks Dug, will do. Heh heh, nekked tractor guy's over here too? Gotta love the shiners, just super folks.

Rockette
February 22nd, 2008, 01:40 PM
Wow, already? Glad I didn't throw our $$ in the pot yet.

Bloozcat
February 22nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hmmmm...

Rockette, another Floridian...and just a stone's throw away from my neck of the woods...

warren0728
February 22nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hmmmm...

Rockette, another Floridian...and just a stone's throw away from my neck of the woods...
we really need to get a florida fretters event together.....there are a lot of us!:AOK:

ww

Steve206
February 22nd, 2008, 03:46 PM
Welcome Pike,,

Just read all about how some folks, were missing the old days, over at the old place. You were mentioned, in a nice way.

Steve

magoo
February 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Yup Pike, there are a lot of questions there that you and others were answering that are not getting the right answers..LOL
And the advice. LOL

Cal
February 22nd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Yup Pike, there are a lot of questions there that you and others were answering that are not getting the right answers..LOL
And the advice. LOLAbsolutely Magoo,

It's so depressing when you see an answer to someone's problem that is blatantly wrong... but if you tried to rectify it you'd get shouted down, edited or banned. I know most people WANT to help other people... but when they don't have the knowledge, or are simply misinformed LIFE IS HELL (especially when they have the power to change correct information to incorrect [because they believe they're right]).

Sorry guys, too much of my favorite whisky and the mouth opens too much too. :messedup:

warren0728
February 22nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
Sorry guys, too much of my favorite whisky and the mouth opens too much too. :messedup:
don't apologize....i had a hell of a couple of days....clients who wait till the last minute and then have completely unrealistic deadlines (which means i don't sleep while they get in their 8 hours +)

i'm having a nice single malt now....many more to follow! \_/ :AOK:

ww

Cal
February 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
i'm having a nice single malt now....many more to follow! \_/ :AOK:
wwI'll drink to that Warren! :AOK:

luvmyshiner
February 22nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
I knew there was something I liked about you Warren! My son brought me a bottle of Lagavulin last weekend, and I'm thinking now is as good a time as any to break into it.:AOK:

Cal
February 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
My son brought me a bottle of Lagavulin last weekend, and I'm thinking now is as good a time as any to break into it.:AOK:THINKING ABOUT IT SHINER! Are you feeling OK? :poke: You KNOW you should be DOING something about it!

(Am I right in assuming that's the real Texas Shiner posting... or is it the virtual Shiner, or a cardboard cutout? :thwap: )

warren0728
February 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
I knew there was something I liked about you Warren!
well hold on to that thought...you won't find much else to like about me!!:rotflmao:

now have that drink and enjoy your weekend!

ww :pancake:

luvmyshiner
February 22nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Heh, heh, I see your point Cal. That did sound rather "un-Shiner". The seal has been broken and it is done being consumed!:beer: :beer:

Cal
February 22nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
now have that drink and enjoy your weekend!
ww :pancake:I don't suppose this would be the right time to ask about the meaning of :pancake:?
OK, probably not. :whatever:

Cal
February 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
The seal has been broken and it is done being consumed!:beer: :beer:AHA! That's the REAL Shiner. :AOK:

As ever: "Here's tae us, Wha's like us, Gae few, and they're a' deid." ;)

warren0728
February 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
you don't really want to know....it's in a thread somewhere on the forum...and it has do to with me but i'm not sure which post it is in...

let's put it in terms the washouts will understand....i wasn't driving a tractor...but making pancakes...and it seems some friends peeked in my window and decided not to knock! :eek:

ww:pancake:

Cal
February 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
let's put it in terms the washouts will understand....i wasn't driving a tractor...but making pancakes...and it seems some friends peeked in my window and decided not to knock! :eek:
ww:pancake:Already too much information! OK Warren I understand... let's just stick to the whisky and enjoy ourselves. :D :beer:

warren0728
February 22nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
Already too much information! OK Warren I understand... let's just stick to the whisky and enjoy ourselves. :D :beer:
that is a very wise choice my friend.....cheers! \_/ :AOK:

ww

luvmyshiner
February 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Awww, come on . . . the forum that tells neked stories together . . . ok I see your point.:eek: :messedup:

tot_Ou_tard
February 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
I knew there was something I liked about you Warren! My son brought me a bottle of Lagavulin last weekend, and I'm thinking now is as good a time as any to break into it.:AOK:
Lagavulin is excellent as is Laphroig, Ardbeg, & other Islay malts! :AOK:

street music
February 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks to ChildBride, I found my way to this great looking site. What a nice change. Great to see you Dreadman, Shiner, Cat, And all the others.

mrmudcat
February 22nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Hey street please introduce yourself in this forum with a thread!!!!!:beer:

Dreadman
February 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
Street! Good to see ya.

Like Muddy said, post a hello in the "The Fret Players" section. I predict at least two pages of welcomes in 24 hours. LOL

Singingelk
February 22nd, 2008, 11:33 PM
AHA! That's the REAL Shiner. :AOK:

As ever: "Here's tae us, Wha's like us, Gae few, and they're a' deid." ;)

Okay Cal....can you put that in Deep South Redneck? :D :D :D

Monty

Cal
February 23rd, 2008, 08:31 AM
Okay Cal....can you put that in Deep South Redneck? :D :D :D Monty, I can go half way and roughly translate it into English English.
The (translated) toast is: :beer:
Here's to us, who's like us... damn few, and they're all dead.

I love the way different people speak. Would you put that in Deep South Redneck for me? :D