PDA

View Full Version : Classical Guitar

Justaguyin_nc
March 28th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I was wondering if anyone has an electric Nylon guitar on this forum? Nylon strings but with the Thinner neck? I been wanting something to play Willie Neslon Songs to..well, learn them with... I tried with Electrics but just does not sound right even with my bad playing aside... I was looking at some on MusiciansFriends... They have an Ibanez AEG10N pretty cheap with electrics.. and looks to have a good review... stick with fat classic neck or thin steel string neck size with nylon be fine? any suggestions appreciated

Justaguyin_nc
March 28th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Oh Disregard the suggestions.. Had one of those GAS attacks.. just saved over $100.00 on getting one off (holding breath) E_Bay on a whimmm.. yeah the Ibanez AEG10N... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=519992 I figure it's not as loud unplugged being thin body..but will probably keep it plugged into the Roland MicroCube all the time anyways... will soon see if its as good as the reviews.. at least for me.. Does the need for more and more guitars ever end!!!

Any Suggestions on Nylon Strings?

r_a_smith3530
March 29th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Justaguy, I don't own anything like that, but my best friend just picked up something in that vein a couple of weeks ago. It is a guitar made by Barrington Guitars back in the late 1980's. It has a solid body that looks like an acoustic classical cutaway. It looks like the Gibson Chet Atkins CE shown here (http://www.valley-and-blues.com/minisites/gibson/es.php).

It is a nylon stringed instrument, and damn does it sound nice! The neck on his Barrington is a little bit more narrow than what you would find on a standard classical, but keep in mind that you need room for those larger, nylon strings.

Justaguyin_nc
March 31st, 2006, 12:42 PM
Well, I will hope the best for this one and im really looking forward to getting it (middle of next week sometime)... Might even like it enough to get an accoustic amp someday... Was looking through articles about Willie and Jerry Reed and it seems those old Baldwin amps they both are fond of like the pickups are all solid state... I would have thought for sure these boys played through tube amps...

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2006, 06:28 PM
Just'a let me know how the new ax plays. I've contemplated godin electric nylon strings before.

r_a_smith3530
April 2nd, 2006, 09:00 PM
Justaguy, if this guitar is anything like their Aucoustic/Electric bass, you will not be dissappointed! Of all the A/E bass guitars that I've tried, the only one that sounded better (Breedlove) was priced over $500 higher (at GC), and its sound wasn't that much greater.

Justaguyin_nc
April 5th, 2006, 02:15 AM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=519992 Ibanez AEG10NE first Impressions... I like it.. I like it... The neck is not much wider then my Steel string guitars... Pretty guitar imho... it's Tangerine... Umm Orange with red thrown in..:) but looks pretty cool.. has Abalone around the soundhole that really stands out ... Bindings front and back of body and up and down the neck... The neck is online with my Martin/Sigma DM-5 as far as thickness goes... Not thick.. just not as slim as electrics.. Very low frets and with the binding you just slide along without problems.. About 4 inches/fingers deep compared to my telecaster being 3inches ..(no tape on hand) Sit's nice on the lap.. Action a bit higher then I like but looks like the Bridge can be adjusted down with shaving or sumptin by a pro if need be but really does not pose a problem to me.... Nylons.. plenty of room between the strings so they ring out.. no problem pressing down here.. First nylon I ever played.. I still consider myself a very basic beginner as far as guitars go and I am not to picky.. so all this is taken with a grain of salt.. play all nite and day again... Best not comment on the sound yet other then I think I got a line to Willie Nelson and Jerry Reed and now need to expand it... Preamp has tuner also which works pretty darn well... To many Sounds adjusting and using preamp so best wait a bit on that too.. Other then, I think you can adjust it to sound as you wish..and capable of doing.. very early impressions makes it a winner..

Justaguyin_nc
April 9th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I must say I am very very pleased with this cheap guitar.. thru any amp I have or unplugged it sounds great to me.. subjective ofcourse but all that matters seeing its mine... I am sure their are better Nylons out there but I doubt at this price.. I do not know what could be better.. it just sounds so sweet.. The electrics now so tinny and boring.. oh heck.. I've gone nylon... heh... The built on fishman electrics are pretty quiet till you need them to wake up.. I just now need to find a pick that is not heard on the strings ... or improve my playng alot might be a big help... The neck feels soooo nice.. just glide along it... The tuners hold up nicely.. Now to learn Angel Flying to close to the ground properly!!

r_a_smith3530
April 10th, 2006, 03:04 AM
I am sure their are better Nylons out there but I doubt at this price.. I do not know what could be better.. it just sounds so sweet.. The electrics now so tinny and boring.. oh heck.. I've gone nylon... heh...!

Oh, oh, Justaguy's gone over the edge. Next thing you know, he'll be going from nylon to fishnets, and you know what happens then?

"You're a heart stopping down home Venus,
from your head down to your toes
You'd make a blind man see with the way you walk in your
high heels
and fishnet hose.
I gotta have you baby..."
--Duke Robillard, from "Rule the World" off the "Temptation" album

:R

BTW, you can hear a short clip from the song above over at Amazon. Duke's guitar work is fabulous!

Justaguyin_nc
April 10th, 2006, 11:49 AM
LOL.. to funny.... nope.. I will leave the fishnet's alone...

r_a_smith3530
April 10th, 2006, 12:43 PM
LOL.. to funny.... nope.. I will leave the fishnet's alone...

Ah, I see, you're only willing to go so far, eh?

"Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,
I had a fine fox in front, I had three mo' in the back.
They sportin' short dresses, wearin' spike-heeled shoes,
they smokin' Lucky Strikes and wearin' nylons too.
'Cause we bad, we're nationwide."
--Gibbons/Hill/Beard, from Degüello

:R

Justaguyin_nc
April 14th, 2006, 12:17 PM
I found my Angel for now... practice practice practice... here is a comparison of Roland MicroCube to the SWR Strawberry blonde.. Umm ignore the bad playing but it's easy to hear the Acoustic amp really does allow the Acoustic sound to get through while the Cube can make it sound good it just has a different sound losing the acoustic character.. Im quite happy with both the Guitar and SWR Amp.. oh and the cube for what it is..

SWR Clip is with xlr out to Audigy
Roland is lineout to Audigy

Justaguyin_nc
May 12th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Im quite happy with both the Guitar and SWR Amp..

Well, I thought I was happy...:) I been messing with the Cyber-Champ and found almost what I am looking for in it.. The SWR is Deep and very pleasant but the Cyber-Champ has won me over for now while I try to dial the sound I want more towards willie'ish sounds... I changed the strings on the Ibanez to La Bella 830's and it seems to have added more feeling to the guitar for me.. I have almost totally lost interest in the other guitars although I play the tele now and then.. Something about these nylons... even with my bad playing... it's like golf.. one good shot keeps taking you back to it...

Oh by the way...anyone know a place to find Willie's Night Life tab? (all of it) seems difficult to find as I try to peice it together on my own

SuperSwede
May 12th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Bad playing?! I loved it. And great tone from that Ibanez !

Justaguyin_nc
May 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks Swede.. wierd thing..once you play these nylons the electrics ALL sound tinny... but you can't get much sustain out of a nylon.. guess this one is built more like a flamenco guitar which I guess by design has no sustain... hmmm.. must be time to find yet another nylon to beat on..GAS has hit.. but this one is so comfy to hold and play......

need to find a Willie'ish knockoff of the Martin N-20.... sheesh.. 5500.00 for the re-issue.. Im sure there is something out there up to $1500 like it... Spruce top.. rosewood sides.. umm 25.4 scale and Electrics.. any suggestions are always appreciated..

SuperSwede
May 21st, 2006, 01:52 PM
Oh yes Martins are really nice!
Let me know how it goes!