PDA

View Full Version : Vox AD Series

Tone2TheBone
September 15th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I'd like to start off by saying how fun the new Vox series of modeling amps are. I decided on the AD30VT for several reasons.

1. I liked how compact the amp is. I can put it anywhere in the livingroom, bedroom, porch etc...without it taking up so much room. Also is much easier to haul around.

2. It is LIGHT...as in...it doesn't need wheels underneath to lug it around. (see #1.)

3. The tones coming out from that little 10 inch speaker are incredible. It's NOT a 12 inch speaker amp though in terms of sound...BUT it is unique in it's own way. It has loads of low end which is a must for me.

4. The cleaner models on the amp are the reason I bought it. I love the Boutique CL model...however you can still get any clean tones with say the UK70s and the AC15 and AC30TB which are other personal favorites and still include some bite and growl. With a Stratocaster type guitar it's a very versatile rig.

The list goes on and on but I'd like to hear about other's reasons why you've chosen the model youd have as far as the Valvetronix series goes.

Robert
September 16th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Hey Tone2TheBone, I got mine because I tried in the store and was blown away buy the tones at "bedroom" level. I wanted an amp I could practice with and recording direct with. It doesn't record straight into my computer as nicely as I'd hoped, but it is wonderful for practice, jamming, gigging even. There is not one single amp model I can't make sound great! I mean it! The sounds are all in there. This amp kicks butt.

Tone2TheBone
September 16th, 2005, 09:06 AM
In what way do you find it lacks in the recording department Robert?

Tone2TheBone
September 16th, 2005, 09:20 AM
I think the noise reduction is kinda corky though. You have to mess with it in order to allow soft passages through before they are abruptly cut off. To me that's annoying. However when you do reduce the noise gate...the amp gets noisy I've noticed especially at higher volumes. With the gain up and with the volume knob and master and the power soak knob in the back of the amp, it's more critical to get that perfect signal to noise ratio I've found. I read somewhere on another thread that if you find your amp excessively noisy you should back off on the output knob in back to about 75%. Seems to help with the hiss of the gain...even on "clean" channels. To me this is normal behavior of SS circuitry though. -Rob

Robert
September 16th, 2005, 10:03 AM
The problem with recording is that the lineout is bypassing the valve. Hence, that nice, tuby tone isn't there when you record, or use headphones. It's a big difference.

How do you adjust that noise reduction feature?

Tone2TheBone
September 16th, 2005, 10:24 AM
You don't mike your amp?

To adjust the noise gate you have to press the bypass button and hold down the tap button while turning the edit 1 knob...either clockwise for more reduction...or counter clockwise for less reduction. I find that the best place is in the area where the hold/shift lettering is on the amp chassis which would be about 7:00 on the dial position. You can hear the noise gate disengage (or reingage) when you turn the edit 1 knob.

I bet you miked the vox would sound good. I'm waiting to try it on an open PA system.

Robert
September 16th, 2005, 10:34 AM
No, sorry, I didn't specify clearly enough - I wanted it to do direct recording straight into my sound card, you know, like a POD. It doesn't sound that great for doing this, compared to POD's and similar products.

Yes, miking it I'm sure would sound awesome. I don't have a decent mic though, and no mic preamp. (Need to go shopping)

Thanks Rob

Robert
September 16th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Oops, Rob, I accidentally deleted your last message! :eek:

Anyway, glad you like my sounds! I've got good guitars too!

How about you come up here to Canada and I'll show you all the secrets tone?
:p

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Robert,

I ALMOST traded my AD30VT for the 50 watt model on Friday after I left work...but didn't. I tried the amp and it sounded good with the 12 inch speaker...but the models were still very much like the model on my amp so I decided to keep what I had. I'm so glad too because I just LOVE the small amp for practice! Anyway I've been playing my Marshall all weekend and I've been in tone bliss the whole time. Today I spent more time with the 30 watt Vox and now I have dialed in a "starter" position for almost all the amps. I pretty much have the volume maxed out on all models with the gain starting at about 1:00 and increase it from there for overdrive if I want it. Even now my AC15 model which has been my lousiest model...sounds much better with higher volume settings. I think I didn't have enough volume coming out of the models and so the tone wasn't as full as it should have been. My master volume is always either at 12:00 or higher. (was always lower before). I've finally nailed my OWN personal tone heaven bro. I'd still like to jam with you though so...beer and steaks on you if I go up there? ;) -Rob

ps- I finally have a beautiful blackface 2x12 sound with my new settings on the volume. :D

Robert
September 18th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Yes, Beer and Steaks on me buddy, count on it!

Great to hear you are finding your own tones with the amp. Both the 30 and the 50 are great. I bet if you modded the 30 and got a speaker out on it, you could connect a 1x12 little cab and get even better tones. That wouldn't be so hard to haul, would it?

Definitely gotta play ALL amps LOUD, isn't that the first thing a rocker should know :p Just teasin' ya! I bet your Marshall sounds sweet when cranked a bit. I'm still waiting for those sound clips... :cool:

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Yup I'm going to Ebay and look for a good 8 ohm 12" cabinet! I can do the speaker out mod myself.

Well with a Marshall or a Hellhound the master volume is easy to work with. It's taken me awhile to figure out how the multi volumed Vox works best. You've known all along how it works haven't you.!!! :mad: hahahaha

I like my steak medium. :)

Robert
September 20th, 2005, 10:20 AM
I can do great tasting medium steaks.
The Hellhound actually likes to be played loud - it's a power house and at low volume it doesn't "bloom" at all. Tube amps are made to be played LOUD! Eh?

Tone2TheBone
September 20th, 2005, 10:33 AM
You better believe it eh. :)

Tone2TheBone
September 20th, 2005, 11:07 AM
New Vox AD30 setting for Les Paul rock and roll heaven...

UK80s...with compression...compression knob about 70 to 80%. Gain all the way up. Volume all the way up. Treble at 2:00. Mid at 1:00. Bass at 1:00.

This Vox is a really neat tone module in that the knobs actually WORK in terms of how a sound is reproduced. I've NEVER had my mid knob as high as I have had with this amp before...and it seems to almost WANT the mids up like that. Such a killer sound.

marnold
October 14th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Hey folks,

I was directed here after coming across the Dolphinstreet site by searching for Vox Valvetronix and Blues. I've got an AD30VT. I've come across a pretty nice blues tone using the Black 2x10, gain at noon, volume maxed, treble at 1:00, middle maxed, bass at 11:00, and master maxed with just a touch of reverb.

I'm looking for a good 80s-era metal tone. I had been using the NuMetal amp. While I like the gain, there's so much gain that the playing kind of gets lost in the fizz. I could tune in a decent Randy Rhoads tone using the UK '70s amp, but I wish it had a bit more gain. Suggestions?

This amp allows for a lot of tweaking, which is both good and bad. There's a lot of different tones you can get out of this amp, but you can search for a long time to find just the right tone.

If anybody else has any other settings they really like with the AD series, post 'em!

Robert
October 15th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Hey Marnold, thanks for signing up. You might want to post an introduction in the Fret Players section too.

You could try using the Numetal with a low gain setting; I think that sounds pretty cool.

marnold
October 15th, 2005, 06:18 PM
I came across an even better blues sound by adapting the settings from the flash demo on Vox's site. Tweed 4x10, gain at 11:00, volume at 3:00, treble at noon, middle at 1:00, bass at 11:00, master at 1:00 with just a hint of reverb.

For now I'm using this for my 80s metal sound. As I mentioned, to me it sounds somewhat like Randy Rhoads. UK 70s, gain at max, volume at 11:00, treble at 2:00, middle at max, bass at noon, master at 1:00 with a little delay to spice things up.

I tried the NuMetal with less gain a bit. I'm going to have to mess around with it some more.

Tone2TheBone
October 17th, 2005, 09:47 AM
I like the mid compression on the US Hi Gain model. I find that I need to turn up the treble just a tad when playing through that. Its pretty much reverse on the other high gain models (lowering the treble). Its got that sweet compressed Mesa Boogie sound perfect for lead work and tight rhythms with the volume pot on the guitar turned down. You may or may not be turning your volume pot down on your guitar but I know it helps when you're trying to dial in a certain tight metal rhythm using a hi gain model. Sounds like you're attempting it from a lesser gain model and going up from there. Try doing it the other way around. Go higher gain but maybe not maxed out...but turn down the pot on your guitar. 80s metal totally. Hot rodded Marshalls and stock Boogies. Also experiment with the compression on some of the amps. I love the compression setting on the UK80s like I mentioned before. I usually set my compression to about half way (12:00). Gives me a nice fat George Lynch type Marshall sound which is actually very similar to my own Marshall Jubilee amp sound. I've only used the compression on that UK 80s model only. The other hi gain models don't need it. The other day I played on the UK Modern and it was a very cool sounding Metallica (And Justice for All) sound. I practiced my off rhythm chops playing Blackened and The Frayed Ends of Sanity over and over. Keep experimenting you'll find what you're dying to hear.

Rob

marnold
October 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I love the compression setting on the UK80s like I mentioned before. I usually set my compression to about half way (12:00). Gives me a nice fat George Lynch type Marshall sound which is actually very similar to my own Marshall Jubilee amp sound. I've only used the compression on that UK 80s model only. The other hi gain models don't need it.
Do you use the tone settings you mentioned before for that Lynch sound (treble 2:00, mid and bass at 1:00)? The Lynch sound is actually what I'm after. I'm a huge Dokken fan from back in the day. I've been trying to teach myself "In My Dreams." I really prefer a high-gain amp type because the pinch harmonics (a staple of Lynch's style) really scream with lots of gain. Then I giggle like a schoolgirl.

My only complaint with using compression on the AD30VT is that then I can't use delay. I like to use just a touch to give a bit more depth.

The UK 80s and US Higain amps are a lot "growlier" than the NuMetal one which is more fizzy. Unfortunately lots of growl or lots of fizz tends to contribute the same problem: loss of note clarity.

Tone2TheBone
October 17th, 2005, 01:30 PM
My "Lynch" tone comes from the UK80s model with the gain all the way up on it. The volume is set at max...the treble at about 2:00...the middle at about 11:00...the bass at 1:00...the master set anywhere past 12:00 depending on the overall volume. On the back of the amp the variable output knob is at about 75%. Like I mentioned I use compression on that model because it hits the amp just a little harder in the preamp and it also smooths out the chunk and adds some real nice overdrive frequencies much like a moded Marshall cranked at very loud volumes! I too am a big George Lynch (Dokken) fan and have always liked his Marshall tone.

Yeah you pretty much give up any chance of using the other effects when you're only using the compression circuit on the Vox. But it sounds gooooooood and you might not even miss having any other effect. If you really wanted to have full versatility with the amp you could always supplement your rig with a digital delay pedal and reverb pedal since those 2 effects are widely used anyway. That way you can compress any model you like and still have your delays and reverbs. I thought about doing that also...even though it's more added expense. BUT in the long run it would be a cool idea since I'd rather spend my money on music stuff than something like crack! LOL

Yes I also agree that the Numetal setting is very fuzzy for most songs we're familiar with but I'll bet you you'll run into a tune on the radio and hear that particular sound and go..."oh yeah that sounds like the Numetal model". Be open minded with all the hi gain models too because you can get surprisingly different sounds by just adjusting the gain to lower settings like Robert suggested. The Valvetronix amps are really very versatile!

Also I use the same settings mentioned above but with lower compression and lower guitar knob volume (like at around 3) for AC/DC type sounds. I always set my mids on my own Marshalls at around 11:00 or even 10:00. It always seemed to mimick everyone else's Marshall sound too so I incorporated that idea over on the UK models on the Vox.

My "rock/metal" guitar is the Les Paul Studio. I'm playing through a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker in the bridge. I've also put a "treble bleed" modification on the volume pot so that when I turn down the guitar volume I don't lose any treble frequencies. Les Pauls are notorious for that. This way when I turn the pot down to like 3 I still have nice crispy useable tones for rhythm stuff...then I just turn up for leads.

Rob

Tone2TheBone
October 18th, 2005, 08:35 AM
I've been thinking about putting some creme colored chicken beak knobs (or coloured as Robert might say) on my Vox. I think it would look pretty cool like that....

http://pictures.kyozou.com/pictures/712000/711250.jpg

marnold
October 18th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I've been thinking about putting some creme colored chicken beak knobs (or coloured as Robert might say) on my Vox. I think it would look pretty cool like that....
It would definitely give it that "retro" look. I saw a cool mod someplace where someone made a vintage-looking cabinet for their AD50VT. Very slick.

Re: my metal tone. I spent some time yesterday really listening closely to some old Dokken records to get a better grip on Lynch's tone. I think my main problem is that a tone that sounds cool when I'm just playing by myself and a tone that would sound cool in the context of a band are two entirely different things.

Another thing I thought of is using the UK70s amp since I like the sound so much, but maybe putting a tube screamer or some similar pedal in front of it as a boost. I'll have to see if I can badger the local guitar shoppe guy into letting me try that next time that I'm around. Unfortunately, real tube screamers are frightfully expensive.

Robert
October 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Try the Bad Monkey! It's a great OD pedal. The Boss BD-2 is also good.

Tone2TheBone
October 18th, 2005, 02:37 PM
...And speaking of the Blues Driver.....I just picked up a used one today at a local music shop in town. Going to try it after I get off of work today. Tell you what Marnold...let me try it with the UK70s and see if I can get a great Lynch tone with it for you. If I do...maybe I can record a clip for you and post it here??? Is that possible Robert??

marnold
October 18th, 2005, 07:01 PM
...And speaking of the Blues Driver.....I just picked up a used one today at a local music shop in town. Going to try it after I get off of work today. Tell you what Marnold...let me try it with the UK70s and see if I can get a great Lynch tone with it for you. If I do...maybe I can record a clip for you and post it here??? Is that possible Robert??
That would be very cool. Let me know how things turn out.

Robert
October 18th, 2005, 07:15 PM
... If I do...maybe I can record a clip for you and post it here??? Is that possible Robert??

Sure, I think so. I added the mp3 extension as a valid attachment, so you should be able to upload an mp3 file with your post.

Tone2TheBone
October 19th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Newsflash......but I'm going to post my review of the Blues Driver in the pedals forum.

marnold
October 19th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Newsflash......but I'm going to post my review of the Blues Driver in the pedals forum.

Good deal, I'll have to check one of those pedals out. In the meantime, I tried to use my ZOOM 505II as just an overdrive pedal. I think I got the basic idea and it does sound cool.

The problem that I get especially with the UK70s model but also with others on the AD30VT is that when I palm mute an E5 chord I get a wierd sound from the amp at high gain levels. It sounds like a "bweyow" like either the digital model is freaking out or the speaker can't quite handle it. Not sure which. Adding the overdrive pedal made the sound more noticeable and annoying. Thoughts?

marnold
October 21st, 2005, 10:04 AM
Well, I ended up going back to a modified version of my original metal sound. It's the NuMetal amp with volume and treble at 12:00; gain, middle, and bass maxed, master at about 2:00, and a hint of delay. I also am rolling back on my guitar's volume a bit to cut some of the fizz. I would describe the sound as "Sort of Van Halen or something." Whatever the case, I like using it and it makes me want to play more. I suppose in the long run that's what's most important.

I also asked a friend if he has an overdrive pedal I could borrow so I could try that out some more. My Zoom colors the sound on my guitar way too much for my liking.

Tone2TheBone
October 21st, 2005, 10:26 AM
Thats the fun of having a cool little amp like the valvetronix. Sound and tone are highly subjective...you won't be able to sound like me or anyone and vise versa. The amp hits our heads and ears differently. If you can find sounds that inspire you to play more cause you're digging what's coming out of your amp then you've accomplished your mission I'd say.

EscalonJon
October 21st, 2005, 11:10 AM
Tone,

I don't know if I've ever heard it said better......Amen.

marnold
October 21st, 2005, 12:19 PM
Thats the fun of having a cool little amp like the valvetronix. Sound and tone are highly subjective...you won't be able to sound like me or anyone and vise versa. The amp hits our heads and ears differently. If you can find sounds that inspire you to play more cause you're digging what's coming out of your amp then you've accomplished your mission I'd say.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm also learning what others learned many years ago. Tone is not a destination, but a journey. Looking at George Lynch's website, his setup was different for every album, although the main features of a tube screamer into some kind of modified Marshall stayed constant. Clapton's the same way. His tone is quite a bit different now than it was in the Cream days.

Tone2TheBone
October 25th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Like my brother in law used to say (God rest his soul)..."life varies". One day you might plug in and your entire rig sounds so good you want to cry and your face hurts from smiling so much. The very next day you might wake up with a cold and have a stuffy head and the same sound you had the day before...sounds like garbage...then you go tweaking knobs and making all kinds of adjustments. The tone will change. A lot of it is "feel" too. A lot of it is "groove" as well. And so much of it...is just pure magic. It comes to us at different times. If we have a great starting point of reference then at least we can pursue that elusive tone bliss even on days when we need a good ear cleaning from wax buildup or when we need that one big sneeze to clear our heads! :)

Nelskie
October 25th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Tone - I enjoy the "spiritual vibe" so many of your posts encompass. While guitar playing does involve many technical aspects, and mechanical skills, we often forget to truly savor some of those "intangibles". It's especially exciting when some of these intangible things all come together - like when you're playing a certain song, with a certain guitar, with a certain sound eminating from a certain amp. Magic? Yes indeed - almost something bordering on the ethereal. My wife told me this once, after she was watching me playing without me knowing she was there. She said, "It looked like you weren't even here in this realm. Like you were somewhere else, and were at total peace with everything." I couldn't help but to agree. Sometimes, we don't even realize what we're doing ourselves - and yet somehow, some way, it all just comes together. Yessir . . . such a beautiful thing!

Tone2TheBone
October 25th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Thank you for your kind words Nelskie. Like the bumper sticker says..."Magic Happens." :)

Hophead
November 3rd, 2005, 07:25 AM
What about the AD 100? Anyone ever tried it out? I realize it's very new but...

Justaguyin_nc
November 12th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Speaking of Vibes Spirit and otherwise... how does the U-Vibe setting on the VOX compare to say a Voodoo Lab Microvibe?

http://www.voodoolab.com/mp3/microvibe-hendrix.mp3

http://www.voodoolab.com/mp3/microvibe-trower.mp3

http://www.voodoolab.com/mp3/microvibe-mellotron.mp3

http://www.voodoolab.com/mp3/microvibe-vintage.mp3

TYIA
:R

Guitar-Chris
November 12th, 2005, 02:56 PM
If anybody else has any other settings they really like with the AD series, post 'em!

Ok here are some of my favourites:

For a blues-rock solo on my neck PU at the Telecaster:
UK '80s and all knobs at 1 o'clock

A nice marshall sound for solo, decrease guitar-volume for sparkeling clean tone: UK '70s Gain full, Volume 1 o'clock rest in middle position

A heavy solo for my Yamaha Pacifica with humbucker at bridge position:
UK modern Gain at 9 o'clock, Volume at 1 o'clock Treble at 11, rest middle.

At all, if i want more distortion, i don't crank up the gain, but instead I chose an amp model with more distortion and reduce gain. That gives more pressure than havin gain in full position.

Christian

Tone2TheBone
November 14th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Here's my "Billy Gibbons" Marshall sound.

model = UK80s
gain = dimed
volume = anywhere past 12:00
treble = 1:00
middle = 1:00
bass = 1:00
master volume = anywhere past 12:00
variable volume on back of amp = at 75%
effects = compression with knob set at about 12:00 or 2:00

The compressor accentuates the pumping tone of the UK80s model. If you listen to Billy's sound it pumps out off the fret board like that. Not so much high gain preamp sound...but more air moving instead.

All my other amps settings are pretty much set up the same. Even when I'm playing the clean models and high gain models. All my tone knobs are set to 1:00 as I feel thats an optimum tone setting for almost all the models.

Robert
November 14th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I picked up my Squier Tele and cranked up my Vox 50w amp today at lunch and damn! It sounded good! I used the 4x10 Tweed with the mid at 3 o'clock, treble/bass at 1 o'clock. Volume cranked and gain at 2-3 o'clock. Sweet tone! need to record that sound for you guys.

Tone2TheBone
November 14th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Robert,

I too love the 4x10 tweed sound. It's real midrangy and cuts perfectly when you're jamming with someone else. I been using that sound a lot lately myself.

MagicBaller21
November 14th, 2005, 09:08 PM
good led zeppelin (whole lotta love) sound with fender strat:
(o'clocks) uk'80s
gain: 3, volume: 12, treble: 12, mid: 1, bass:12, i have reverb on with the tap thing on 1 o'clock

Tim
November 15th, 2005, 05:32 AM
Hello Guys,

I have been out sick the last 5 days. I believe I ate some bad shrimp Wednesday evening. Started out with very sore joints on Thursday and Friday. It really hit me Saturday, Sunday and yesterday. I did very little playing, but tried a few of the suggested ideas from the “AD30VT” thread.

I did discover that I was using way too much Gain, Volume and Master on all my settings. I was following the manual and other user comments. The tones did clear up extremely well. Thanks for all who helped in providing information.

I also want to say thanks to those who have been providing settings in this thread on obtaining different guitarist tones. Being new to electric guitars and amps, this helps me learn more about the amp. I can dial in the different tone settings and hear where they are going.

I like a clean tone. Does anybody have any “Ventures” or clean CCR tones? I am not looking for surf tones, just a nice clean smooth jazzy tone. Ok, I think I just asked for 2 tones (clean and smooth jazz).

This is a great forum with great people helping the newbies like me.

Tim

marnold
November 15th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I like a clean tone. Does anybody have any “Ventures” or clean CCR tones? I am not looking for surf tones, just a nice clean smooth jazzy tone. Ok, I think I just asked for 2 tones (clean and smooth jazz).

The Boutique CL preset that I mentioned before is the one that I use when I play "Walk, Don't Run." With the default reverb it seems to give a suitably Ventures-like tone.

Tim
November 15th, 2005, 09:48 AM
The Boutique CL preset that I mentioned before is the one that I use when I play "Walk, Don't Run." With the default reverb it seems to give a suitably Ventures-like tone.

Marnold,

I scanned this thread and found your settings for Blues - Black 2X10, Blues - Tweed 4X10 and NuMetal. I could not find the Boutique CL seetings. Could you repeat them please?

Thanks.

Tim

Tone2TheBone
November 15th, 2005, 10:02 AM
The AC15 model is really mellow sounding. I tend to think that would be a great humbucker neck pickup jazz amp. Sounds good when you want really round mellow sounds for jazz type stuff.

The "Dumble" overdrive special model (the boutique CL and boutique OD) are very metallic sounding in the high frequencies and tons of low end as a point of reference. Very useful for a lot of clean sounds. Except of course the boutique OD has a lot more gain than the CL...which you really can't overdrive anyway no matter how much you try.

The Fender models (2x12 blackface and the tweed 4x10) sound REALLY close to the real things. The 2x12 blackface sounds like a Fender Twin which tends to have a lot of midrange voicing with tight low end. Really great with single coil pickups as the manual suggests. You can add gain to that to really create a touch sensitive voicing but like the boutique CL you really can't overdrive it to all out distortion. It will distort at max gain but only when you really hit the strings hard. I usually set my gain on that model from 12:00 to 3:00...give it bouncing off the fretboard presence and "clean" drive but it doesn't distort like any of the high gain UK models. The tweed 4x10 is totally different. It sounds like a Fender Bassman and reacts to gain AND volume settings just like the real thing. It will distort much easier and the distortion can be real muddy sounding like your speaker is blown. Very mushy gain...but again very useful if you set your gain and volumes at just below that threshold before it starts to really break up. With any clean sounds you can always back off on the guitar volume knob to clean things up yet still have that amp drive behind you. I like pushing the gains up to almost the breaking up point of the amp just for that drive. The tube compression really kicks in like a real tube amp when you set it that way.

The AC30TB is cool. Very bright due to the Top Boost mode the amp is in. Its a very useful model. The clean sounds are bright and airy with decent tight bottom end. When you overdrive the amp you get that distinct bark of a real Vox amp. At lower gain settings and hard playing think of that Romantics song "What I like about You"...or anything from Tom Petty. At higher gain settings with compression on humbucker equipt guitars think anything from Brian May. Really barky amp. Really cool.

I bought the amp JUST FOR the clean sounds. The high gain models sound really great too especially with humbuckers. I really prefer the natural guitar sound without any effects except for maybe a little bit of reverb or delay. But for the most part my effects are bypassed. I just love the pure sound of the guitar I'm playing...coming through the models.

Tim
November 15th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Tone2thebone,

Thanks for all the information. It would of taken me years to gather all this data. I will be experimenting and tweaking for months to come.

Tim

marnold
November 17th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Marnold,

I scanned this thread and found your settings for Blues - Black 2X10, Blues - Tweed 4X10 and NuMetal. I could not find the Boutique CL seetings. Could you repeat them please?

I don't change anything. When you hit the preset button and then dial to the Boutique CL amp, it automatically sets the treble, mid, etc. I don't change those settings at all. So the instructions are these: poke the "Preset" button, dial in the "Boutique CL" amp, play.

warren0728
December 7th, 2005, 03:22 PM
i currently have the AD15VT but am thinking of trading it on the AD30VT or maybe the AD50VT model. I think the 10 speaker will make a big difference in sound.

I have also been thinking that getting a true tube amp with a 10 inch speaker would give me a better sound.

Can i get your thoughts of the AD30VT/AD50VT over the AD15VT and your opinion on how much better a true tube amp in the same wattage and speaker size would compare?

thanks,
ww

Tone2TheBone
December 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Either a 10 or a 12 inch speaker would be great. If space and weight is an issue get the AD30VT because its just as smoking awesome a sound as you will get. If you don't mind a bigger and a little heavier amp then the 50 watt model will be good...I know Robert loves his.

warren0728
December 7th, 2005, 05:16 PM
thanks tone.....what about sound quality of the vox versus a true tube amp. I'm just a home player but might start playing with my church jam band.

I think the vox has a couple of tubes but isn't totally a tube driven amp....not sure how that works or which is better.

thanks again,
ww

Tone2TheBone
December 7th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Digital Technology has come a long way. The digital modeling of the Vox amps is really really good. This coming from a tube man.

Let me put it this way...the real tell tale that you're playing through a solid state is that the amp will then behave like a solid state amp when using any kind of overdrive or distortion stomp box.
It doesn't recreate AS SMOOTH an overdrive when pushed with pedals. Thats my own humble opinion but I feel it is based on experience with both SS amps and tubes. A tube amp will just love your overdrive pedals. You have to mess with your settings a bit or keep the gain low on the pedals when boosting an SS amp. The Vox however, because it is a combination of ss technology and tube technology is probably very close to producing the nice warm overtones associated with tubes primarily because it's power amp section DOES have a tube. Duh. I'm very pleased with the nice warm tones you can get with the amp. The only model on the Vox that really does sound like a typical solid state amp is the Boutique OD model. Its got a tinny sounding top end which is probably useful for some things...but it's a lot different sounding than the other models, even the clean version of itself in the Boutique CL model. The Valvetronix amps are just really fun toys overall though.

warren0728
December 8th, 2005, 03:26 AM
thanks tone....very informative

i do have a couple of pedals including a bad monkey and a 1990s danelectro cool cat (chorus). I think i will trade my AD15VT on the AD30VT and start saving for a nice tube amp for down the road. Would rather get a really nice tube amp later than a cheaper one (spent all my money on the kids for christmas) now.

thanks again,
ww

Tim
December 8th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Warren,

I upgraded from the AD15VT to the AD30VT. You will be surprised at the difference the 10 inch speaker really makes. Right now I keep the Power Level around the 15 watt setting. I have not had the chance to gig with it yet. The 15 watt was loud, but lacks the head room needed to play in public.

Tone2TheBone
December 8th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I agree with Tim. The 30 just smokes and it is a LOUD 30 watts. That was part of the appeal for me in getting it. I figured it just wouldn't be a Vox if it wasn't 30 watts. ;)

warren0728
December 8th, 2005, 01:11 PM
well i just traded my 15 for the 30....WOW

haven't had much time to play with it but what a difference!!

I have to give Sam Ash credit....even though i had the 15 for over 60 days they gave me the full price i paid for it towards the 30....best 70 bucks i've spent in a long time!

thanks to everyone for your input.

ww

RandyW
January 2nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
I'm thinking about getting a new practice amp, and I'm considering the VOX AD30VT. How is it for squeezing out a good BB King blues tone? You know, just a good mellow tone, just at the point of breaking up.
Also how do you owners like the metal grill. Any buzz or rattle problems. I'm thinking about ordering one with the original VOX diamond cloth. It's an extra forty bucks, but it does look good!
Thanks for any input.

Guitar-Chris
January 3rd, 2006, 06:38 AM
I'm thinking about getting a new practice amp, and I'm considering the VOX AD30VT. How is it for squeezing out a good BB King blues tone? You know, just a good mellow tone, just at the point of breaking up.
Also how do you owners like the metal grill. Any buzz or rattle problems. I'm thinking about ordering one with the original VOX diamond cloth. It's an extra forty bucks, but it does look good!
Thanks for any input.

I think the Vox has an ideal blues tone. Using the AC30TB or the Marshall Uk 70s modell ist will create this smooth warm sound. Or use the Tweed 4x10 and crank it up...

The metal grill isnt a problem. The only rattle i found was from the grip when lying flat on the ampcase, but if you lift it, the rattle is gone. But diamond cloth looks very cool :cool:

marnold
January 3rd, 2006, 09:57 AM

I think I accomplished that pretty well with my Basic Blues (http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/Blues/Basic+Blues/details_145.html) settings. Mind you, I have a pretty hot humbucker so adjust to taste. I'm probably going to tweak it slightly to back off on the reverb and increase the gain just a touch.

Tim
January 3rd, 2006, 10:06 AM
Does anybody have a picture of what the backside of the cloth grill insert looks like? I am thinking of doing one myself. I will secure it by Velcro.

Robert
January 3rd, 2006, 10:44 AM
Randy, the Vox can get a lot of great tones, and for a B.B King tone, I imagine it should work good on the Tweed 4x10 setting, if you have a hollow body guitar like B.B does. I only have solid body electrics. The Vox is very, very good compared to any other modeling amp in its price range.

Blueswaite
January 29th, 2006, 06:45 PM
To experiment I took my back of and to the wire from the speaker to a speaker jack and plugged my 4x12 cab with Celestion super 65s. WOW is all I can say. I am going to put a switch in it to be able to use the internal speaker or switch to be able to use an extension cab.